Our style of play and our players | Syracusefan.com

Our style of play and our players

20Plus

We recruit finess players that need to run!!

MCW, Grant,James, Rak, Keita especially!

CJ and Brandon can play half court but are much more comfortable in up tempo.

Brandon is effective with a head of steam because of his slower first step!

We are not Wisconsin, OSU, Temple, or Pitt but we are set up to play that style.

That is severely flawed !

We have only 7 guys that deserve to play but if not rotated creatively we are gonna fall into that College basketball trap that is ruining the game!

If we played a MICHIGAN STATE and played grind it out we would lose . But if we ran their bigs we'd have a good shot! That is the point

If we played a MICHIGAN STATE and played grind it out we would lose . But if we ran their bigs we'd have a good shot! That is the point

I disagree. If we make shots we can win those meat grinder games. Hell that is how we beat Louisville and Cincinnati. Our defense is good enough that we can grind out a win. Look at last year when we beat Louisville 52-51 in their building. That game we made nothing and still grinded out the W.

Well, the bottom line is, the teams that play the best in the half court come March and in the Tourney, generally fair the best.

We are not Wisconsin, OSU, Temple, or Pitt but we are set up to play that style.

We have only 7 guys that deserve to play but if not rotated creatively we are gonna fall into that College basketball trap that is ruining the game!
Maybe you should give JB a call and let him know. What Jb is doing isn't working. We only won 34 games last year.

We run our best when our defense is at it's best. Please tell me how we run otherwise.
We can, we have and we will have to grind out many games this year.

The truth is that this just is not a very good team. There is no one on offense that a team has to worry about game in and out. In any one game, someone might get hot, but every team has that. There is no Dion, Andy, Wed, etc.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

The truth is that this just is not a very good team. There is no one on offense that a team has to worry about game in and out. In any one game, someone might get hot, but every team has that. There is no Dion, Andy, Wed, etc.

I think Triche was that person yesterday. Time for him to finish his career strong! LGO!

Maybe you should give JB a call and let him know. What Jb is doing isn't working. We only won 34 games last year.

Yep it was great to celebrate our second title last year... Oh wait.

Last year's loss to OSU exactly highlights the OP's point. The game turned into a half-court slugfest against a team who could match up with our athletes and we lost. The year before Marquette turned the game into a half-court slugfest and we lost, the year before that Butler turned it into a half court slugfest and we lost, the majority if the time Pitt turns the game into a half court slugfest and we lost... Sense a trend here?

Hide behind the JB had win 900 plus games and is a HOF coach all you want buy we have been pretty bad in half court with the exception of AO's senior year and even then we tailed off pretty hard as the season went on. JB recruits for zone first offense second and that is hurting our off court game. However our D has gotten so good we best 90% of teams with it alone but to win a title you need an offense and a defense.

Last year's loss to OSU exactly highlights the OP's point. The game turned into a half-court slugfest against a team who could match up with our athletes and we lost. The year before Marquette turned the game into a half-court slugfest and we lost, the year before that Butler turned it into a half court slugfest and we lost, the majority if the time Pitt turns the game into a half court slugfest and we lost... Sense a trend here?

Hide behind the JB had win 900 plus games and is a HOF coach all you want buy we have been pretty bad in half court with the exception of AO's senior year and even then we tailed off pretty hard as the season went on. JB recruits for zone first offense second and that is hurting our off court game. However our D has gotten so good we best 90% of teams with it alone but to win a title you need an offense and a defense.

Yes, the trend is, as stated, teams that execute well in the half court, advance and win in the tourney.

I seem to remember extenuating circumstances last year and AO's senior year that may have impacted our NC chances.

Yes, the trend is, as stated, generally teams that execute well in the half court, advance and win in the tourney. When is the last time an up & down, high tempo team won a national championship?

I seem to remember extenuating circumstances last year and AO's senior year that may have impacted our NC chances.

And both times it was the starting big man. Big men, probably more than anyone, have a positive impact on the half court offense.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I think Triche was that person yesterday. Time for him to finish his career strong! LGO!
But he doesn't scare anyone.

So whether we win a NC dictates whether we had a good season? In 10 and 12 we played without our starting center when it counted. Maybe you forgot that. Our offense was good enough in both 10 and 12.

We have a reputation of a team that likes to run. Every team that we play is coached to get back on D immediately. That helps explain why we are getting more rebounds and running less. Our opponents are racing back on D. Teams are adjusting to us. If I were XMAS I would keep MCW supplied with bathrobes and gloves.

We have a reputation of a team that likes to run. Every team that we play is coached to get back on D immediately. That helps explain why we are getting more rebounds and running less. Our opponents are racing back on D. Teams are adjusting to us. If I were XMAS I would keep MCW supplied with bathrobes and gloves.

I've been reading this morning on the board that our offense is so bad that it constitutes a program emergency. Yet the O is rated 16th in the pomeroy, better than Miami, Michigan State, Kansas, and about 320 other D1 teams. I'm glad you people aren't evaluating my job performance!

I disagree. If we make shots we can win those meat grinder games. Hell that is how we beat Louisville and Cincinnati. Our defense is good enough that we can grind out a win. Look at last year when we beat Louisville 52-51 in their building. That game we made nothing and still grinded out the W.

Ummm I saw the games but Temple Pitt and nova would ave been wins if we played quicker off turnovers, defensive Rebs, or any other chance to run .

Su players Look most comfortable when they are forced to be aggressive usually when we are down late see closing the gaps when trailing in any game you so desire as the example

And both times it was the starting big man. Big men, probably more than anyone, have a positive impact on the half court offense.

This is a different year without dion scoop now last year our half court dribble drive was fine. Even though our transition was great we truly could play either.

Not this year as successful . See temple and Pitt not just games we lost but Ames were our opponent dictated how game was gonna be played

Come back in off the ledge.

I saw why we lost Vermont butler, even w/o AO we could have one playin the right style no doubt

This year with no true inside presence to play slow will write our final chapter.

We could win with 5 Keitas if they could handle and create. I don't know if I'd call our guys finesse players, rather they are guys that need to get out and run for full impact. They can grind if necessary, but with sketchy offensive skills, they need the open court game.

Imagine how much better our D would be if we had a true shot blocker. Fab altered games last year with his presence. While Xmas gets blocks, he isn't much of an enforcer. Our D to O transition game is missing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom