Our tackling & OL / DL push is skibidi toilet | Syracusefan.com

Our tackling & OL / DL push is skibidi toilet

swish7

All Conference
Definitely not SEC level. Dreams of sneaking into the CFP, which I myself believed possible, now seem extremely misguided. 8 wins would be nice.

Flipped over to some SEC games & was immediately hit w a significantly raised level of play. Not just talent, effort. I'm sure it's a bit of both, but you're telling me we cannot run against a MAC team? We're giving up 230ish to a MAC runner?

Hope Fran can address whatever is addressable, given our talent & Wax being injured, and quick.

Most disappointed in the tackling. Very Grob, Dino & Shaferish.

Definitely not SEC level. Dreams of sneaking into the CFP, which I myself believed possible, now seem extremely misguided. 8 wins would be nice.

Flipped over to some SEC games & was immediately hit w a significantly raised level of play. Not just talent, effort. I'm sure it's a bit of both, but you're telling me we cannot run against a MAC team? We're giving up 230ish to a MAC runner?

Hope Fran can address whatever is addressable, given our talent & Wax being injured, and quick.

Was our ground game “excellent?” No. Far from it. But they were “fine.” Or “decent.” I think that’ll improve a bit (I hope).

One thing I noticed were there were very few “no gains.” The bad runs were for 2-3 yards. Not zero or worse.

I was not enthralled by S.Washington’s pass pro. Feet are slow. And Reed struggled a bit too in the middle in the passing game.

Last edited:
Was out ground game “excellent?” No. Far from it. But they were “fine.” Or “decent.” I think that’ll improve a bit (I hope).

One thing I noticed were there were very few “no gains.” The bad runs were for 2-3 yards. Not zero or worse.

I was not enthralled by S.Washington’s pass pro. Feel are slow. And Reed struggled a bit too in the middle in the passing game.
The lack of push from the OL is concerning, given the opponent. I understand it will take time to get the big uglies Fran probably wants.

CFP was always silly. Let’s just have a good season for Christ’s sake.

The doom and gloom is asinine; everyone needs to grow up.

The lack of push from the OL is concerning, given the opponent. I understand it will take time to get the big uglies Fran probably wants.
This line is very different from last year’s line. It’s going to take time before they’re comfortable. Am I taking crazy pills?

How can we—as a fanbase— feel entitled to success that we haven’t seen in 20 years outside of one freak year with HCDFB

Yep I have said it in several posts in several places: this program has won as many as 8 regular season games two times since McNabb left, 9 wins in 2001 and 2018. I know bowl wins count so we had 2 overall 8 win seasons with Marrone but in 2024, bowl wins, while nice, are a joke because of so many transfers and opt outs. So, we go 8-4 in year 1 of Fran, that would be a big deal

No cap

Are you saying we should “get a life?” ;-)

We really never tried to establish the run. I saw some large holes in the second half for LQA and he ended near 100 yards. I do think we can run the ball effectively.
Agree. They were looking more to pass yesterday. LA had almost a 100 yards. There were holes to run through.
The pass blocking was 1000 percent better. No false starts and the only holding penalty was bs. Great improvement in that area.
I felt the DL got good push a lot of the time. I think there were a least 10 tfl. The long runs and poor tackling highlight those plays.
This is a new D. They are adjusting. I have no doubt that Fran and ERob will make the correction and start to sit players that are not showing in the game.
It’s the first game with a new staff and multiple players. Many things were improved from the last staff. The team faced a little adversity and responded.
People need to relax and see if there is improvement next week. Be happy football is back and we are 1-0.

This line is very different from last year’s line. It’s going to take time before they’re comfortable. Am I taking crazy pills?

How can we—as a fanbase— feel entitled to success that we haven’t seen in 20 years outside of one freak year with HCDFB
It's basic observation.

The line did not get great push. Against Ohio. Not State.

For all the 4 star DBs we recruited, we will need to improve the line(s).

I'm not claiming entitlement to anything.

Yep I have said it in several posts in several places: this program has won as many as 8 regular season games two times since McNabb left, 9 wins in 2001 and 2018. I know bowl wins count so we had 2 overall 8 win seasons with Marrone but in 2024, bowl wins, while nice, are a joke because of so many transfers and opt outs. So, we go 8-4 in year 1 of Fran, that would be a big deal
8 wins and a bowl game should always be the low water mark goal. If things come together and we get some breaks maybe we can put together 10 but we have a ways to go to get to that. GT will be a really good measuring stick.

Dream on. 8 wins is not happening. I will be happy with 6. Ga. Tech. Is not dim witted. They will run on us and our time of possession will be awfully small. Everyone will exploit our weakness. We traded undersized and nimble for big and slow.

The hardest thing to get are big and quick linemen. That is what separates the haves from the have nots.

Did anyone think we were going to field a SEC powerhouse level team this year? Talks of the CFP being possible, which I participated in, were always based heavily on our schedule. If this is an 8 win team on our normal schedule, this year it could run the table. If it does, we would need a fairly big upset in the ACCCG but it's not impossible to pull one off one time.

Put more simply, the CFP talk was a fun way of saying "Hey we may be good enough to beat Miami at home and NC State on the road."

Yesterday didn't do much to change that. Next week's game will tell us a lot. GT is better than I expected, and I am concerned with our run defense - but a lot of it was stuff that's fixable, so we'll see.

Dream on. 8 wins is not happening. I will be happy with 6. Ga. Tech. Is not dim witted. They will run on us and our time of possession will be awfully small. Everyone will exploit our weakness. We traded undersized and nimble for big and slow.

The hardest thing to get are big and quick linemen. That is what separates the haves from the have nots.
Bad post. First game, mistakes were going to happen. 8 wins is still absolutely obtainable and possibly more. Let’s see what happens next weekend before jumping to conclusions. I think you’ll see a more inspired performance from the D against Tech, who by the way didn’t look great against Georgia State. Monday will be telling if FSU looks like crap against BC.

This will be a fun post to revisit.