Our team still looks good

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Frank/Carey/Hughes
Hughes/Carey/Buddy
Brissett/Hughes/Buddy
Dolezaj/Brissett/Sidibe
Chukwu/Sidibe/Dolezaj

A lot hinges on Sidibe’s recovery, Hughe’s adjustment to ACC ball and how ready Carey is.

I stand by my prediction that Carey will be the more memorable SU player.

I still have little reason to believe Oshae’s leaving.

We really need battle to stay or add a transfer or we could be back on the bubble.

The worst part of all this is that JB will likely continue to grind out games and play stall ball offensively. With Bazley, the O is so much better. Now, I expect to watch the same slogs we've seen the past handful of years.

The worst part of all this is that JB will likely continue to grind out games and play stall ball offensively. With Bazley, the O is so much better. Now, I expect to watch the same slogs we've seen the past handful of years.

Yup. Nothing is going to change.

You’re probably right, but I have some hope Hughes and Carey will be able to make shots.

If we keep making good runs in the tourney would you blame him? I still believe recruits nowadays aren't taught good fundamentals due to AAU ball, and that's why they can't shoot. Lonnie Walker was a top 3 SG recruit and he couldn't shoot above 35% from 3 this year.

We could use another forward and a healthier Sidibe.

However,

We return a senior all acc d guard.

A solid center in Chukwu.

A potentiall all american in Brissett

Add potential 3rd and 4th scorers in Carey and Hughes.

A proven scorer in Marek.

Still have enough to potentially redshirt HW if needed.

Lets get over the shell shock and realize we still have more than the foundation in place

So 25 wins 13-5 ACC is what I should expect.
I have no idea what you should expect, im just saying we’re still in a much better place than last year. 13-5 ACC would be good any year.

Probably good enough for another mid-pack ACC finish and a bubble-ish existence. I mean, there are worse things. Was hoping for more, personally.

Hughes

Probably good enough for another mid-pack ACC finish and a bubble-ish existence. I mean, there are worse things. Was hoping for more, personally.

If Hughes and Carey can be reliable scoring threats, we have a much higher ceiling than mid tier acc. Much higher. Oshae Brissett could be our most dominant player since Dion Waiters (could be if he tightens his handle/works on finishing). Scoring alternatives will open up free good looks for Frank as well.

Having two players, potentially, that can provide Frank some rest will pay dividends come conference play.

If Hughes and Carey can be reliable scoring threats, we have a much higher ceiling than mid tier acc. Much higher. Oshae Brissett could be our most dominant player since Dion Waiters (could be if he tightens his handle/works on finishing). Scoring alternatives will open up free good looks for Frank as well.

Having two players, potentially, that can provide Frank some rest will pay dividends come conference play.

We’ll see. I’d prefer to have more talent than less. Nothing we can do about it but the program is less talented today than it was yesterday... and 2 days before that.

We’ll see. I’d prefer to have more talent than less. Nothing we can do about it but the program is less talented today than it was yesterday... and 2 days before that.
Absolutely, can’t argue that at all.

I just dont think the sky’s falling and that this is a loss that we cannot adjust to.

The worst part of this whole conundrum, imo, is the timing.

This is a 7-9 loss team. They really need to find another forward.

The key to our offense is having threats within 18 feet that can open up Frank/Buddy/HW/Oshae for open threes. Frank and Oshae have good strokes that will improve with less forced shots.

I expect Marek, bourama, Elijah Hughes and Jalen Carey to be threats within the perimeter that can at the very least draw a defender when they have the ball.

What really limited our offense this year was Dolezaj not being able to pull the trigger on open 15 footers until the postseason. Whether this is on Dolezaj, JB or whoever is beyond me. Defenders were not even stepping up to guard him. It was just failure to seize what usually is a rare open look.

Hughes
Yes? I'm not sure what you mean.

Adding a better shooter to the court than Battle might help, and an improved Oshae and potentially Marek will help. But the concern is about how JB will run the offense. We won't have that point forward type now that can handle, pass and score from anywhere. Maybe Oshae expands his game, but he seems more slasher/shooter than all-around distributor. With Frank likely to handle 32-35 or more minutes per game pounding the ball into the hardwood for 20 seconds is still a strong possibility. Unless we see Carey take on a lot of the ball handling and offense, what is going to be so different from this year?

Yes? I'm not sure what you mean.

Adding a better shooter to the court than Battle might help, and an improved Oshae and potentially Marek will help. But the concern is about how JB will run the offense. We won't have that point forward type now that can handle, pass and score from anywhere. Maybe Oshae expands his game, but he seems more slasher/shooter than all-around distributor. With Frank likely to handle 32-35 or more minutes per game pounding the ball into the hardwood for 20 seconds is still a strong possibility. Unless we see Carey take on a lot of the ball handling and offense, what is going to be so different from this year?

Frank doesn’t have to stand there and pound the ball unless JB decides we’re going to minimize possessions and play ISO ball. He didn’t play that way his first 2 years here nor his HS senior season at PG.