Our team will be playing our other team on weds | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Our team will be playing our other team on weds

I like Symir and think he is going to play a significant role this year as i see a three-way rotation with him at the point. Taylor and Bunch will be beside Benny and Jess at the 5. My wild card is actually Joe. He needs to play within himself. Doesn't need to be the hero.

I like Symir and think he is going to play a significant role this year as i see a three-way rotation with him at the point. Taylor and Bunch will be beside Benny and Jess at the 5. My wild card is actually Joe. He needs to play within himself. Doesn't need to be the hero.

Other guys have to be aggressive offensively. That is one of the biggest things. Last year you had too many possessions with it just being Buddy putting up a shot with far too much unselfish play around him. Judah and Symir need to attack, Jesse needs to fight for position and Benny also has to be aggressive in his spots. Otherwise it turns into 4 guys scrambling around to get Joe a shot.

Benny reminds me of Roberson... very nice guy with a lot of talent but either lacks confidence or is unsure of himself, and lack a high basketball IQ. I would be fine if we could boost his confidence - the high IQ is needed and better off with the ball handlers/decision makers.

Some players need a cuddly coach who calmly points out their mistakes and keep encouraging them through mistakes, but that ain't Jim.
i think last year's team was hard to carve out a role on...buddy was already getting a large volume. of course jimmy was going to get his shots...then you had joe, swider...shooters that need shots. swider didnt get enough looks last year imo. and he was clearly ahead of benny at the same position. then jesse was top 10 FG% in the country...so he needed as many shots as you could get him...

still benny was given a chance and didnt quite seize it...but it was always kinda going to be a support role no matter what he did (short of being carmelo)...it was like he was just trying to get out of the way by design

he may or may not be a different player this season...but he will have much more of a chance to "be himself"...and not have to try and trump a bunch of seniors as a freshman...hopefully he is one of those players who just needs to be central to his team to play his game...(based on the last duke game, thats what I think wil be the case)... he probably never in his basketball career had to try to be a "support player" like he was last year...and it was hard.

i think last year's team was hard to carve out a role on...buddy was already getting a large volume. of course jimmy was going to get his shots...then you had joe, swider...shooters that need shots. swider didnt get enough looks last year imo. and he was clearly ahead of benny at the same position. then jesse was top 10 FG% in the country...so he needed as many shots as you could get him...

still benny was given a chance and didnt quite seize it...but it was always kinda going to be a support role no matter what he did (short of being carmelo)...it was like he was just trying to get out of the way by design

he may or may not be a different player this season...but he will have much more of a chance to "be himself"...and not have to try and trump a bunch of seniors as a freshman...hopefully he is one of those players who just needs to be central to his team to play his game...(based on the last duke game, thats what I think wil be the case)... he probably never in his basketball career had to try to be a "support player" like he was last year...and it was hard.

Benny just wasn't ready and would have most benefitted from more minutes to keep working out the kinks in his game once the season was on the ropes.

He wasn't sure of himself either in having the ball in his hands or picking his spots and shots. Around the basket he struggled to finish often playing too much under the rim and getting his pocket picked like Carey used to all the time.

None of this is putting him down. It's just what was obvious in the time he did get minus the signs of improvement that showed up a little later in the season. If he just goes out and plays hard and aggressive he should at minimum be able to contribute. Hopefully we get much more than that.

Benny just wasn't ready and would have most benefitted from more minutes to keep working out the kinks in his game once the season was on the ropes.

He wasn't sure of himself either in having the ball in his hands or picking his spots and shots. Around the basket he struggled to finish often playing too much under the rim and getting his pocket picked like Carey used to all the time.

None of this is putting him down. It's just what was obvious in the time he did get minus the signs of improvement that showed up a little later in the season. If he just goes out and plays hard and aggressive he should at minimum be able to contribute. Hopefully we get much more than that.
Agreed. "Readiness" is multifaceted. It's not just about skill set and polish. Mental readiness is just as, if not more, important. To me, it looked like he played nervous/afraid of making mistakes. Whether that was a confidence, personality, or maturation issue remains to be seen. I think Benny is highly skilled. He has the physical ability. If confidence or personality is THE issue, that psychology doesn't typically mesh well with JB's coaching "style."

My understanding is that JB convinced Benny to stay. He obviously must believe in Benny's potential. I think - maybe "hope" is the better word - we will see a big difference this season.

Williams wasn't good last year but I don't think our HOF coach would be starting the year with him lined up to carry such a big load if he didn't think there was something there and we'd see a serious turnaround.

We are so thin or unproven at the wings that if Benny has any sort of success he's likely playing 40 mins most nights. Still shocking to me we didn't grab a transfer but again we'll see what we have.

Agreed. "Readiness" is multifaceted. It's not just about skill set and polish. Mental readiness is just as, if not more, important. To me, it looked like he played nervous/afraid of making mistakes. Whether that was a confidence, personality, or maturation issue remains to be seen. I think Benny is highly skilled. He has the physical ability. If confidence or personality is THE issue, that psychology doesn't typically mesh well with JB's coaching "style."

My understanding is that JB convinced Benny to stay. He obviously must believe in Benny's potential. I think - maybe "hope" is the better word - we will see a big difference this season.
The psychology part is where we miss Hopkins. He had all the charisma and empathy that JB lacks. Hopkins might not have JB's basketball chops, but who does?

He definitely played with very little confidence when he was in the game. I think a big part of it was he wasn't given a long leash (like other players) and wasn't able to play through his mistakes. There were numerous occasions where he made a mistake and was yanked immediately. To make matters worse he would sit on the bench the rest of the game after he was taken out. It is hard to get into a rhythm and the flow of the game when you are only in for 2-3 minutes.

He definitely played with very little confidence when he was in the game. I think a big part of it was he wasn't given a long leash (like other players) and wasn't able to play through his mistakes. There were numerous occasions where he made a mistake and was yanked immediately. To make matters worse he would sit on the bench the rest of the game after he was taken out. It is hard to get into a rhythm and the flow of the game when you are only in for 2-3 minutes.

He averaged 11mpg for the season. But the first 7 games he averaged 17mpg and the first 15 games he averaged 14mpg. He had his chances. It also got to the point that every game was do or die for us. There was no longer a chance to just let him work through things.

Last year's team was probably one of the worst to be a part of for someone like Benny. Hopefully this year's is better. With that said, the kid has to put in work and not try to be KD lite. Kid should be living above the rim, being a ferocious defender and looking to be Scottie Barnes more than KD.

Scottie Barnes averaged 10, 4 and 4. Had a PER of 21.4 and could play D at FSU and was teed up for success for the NBA. He is going to make well into the 9 figures during his NBA career.

That is who Benny needs to replicate. He seemed lost and without direction last year. Regardless of where the fault lies with that, it's a new year and he has an opportunity to be a beast without having to try to drop 18 points a game.

at the very least I bet Copeland will be eligible to play in the tourney when we need him most, unlike Frank
Still feel bad for frank about that. He tested positive for pot, right? So stupid that SU/NCAA test and punish for that.

Still feel bad for frank about that. He tested positive for pot, right? So stupid that SU/NCAA test and punish for that.
I would feel bad for him if he didn't do a lot of other moronic stuff. I don't think it was ever officially disclosed but I would assume it was for pot, which is/was idiotic

Don’t feel bad at all, not then, not now. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

IMO, Benny is the key for this season. Last year we had huge expectations, some even had him as a possible OAD in preseason.
This year no one’s really expecting much, just hoping for an improvement. If we see an above-average Benny, one we only had glimpses of last year, we could do some damage. Here’s hoping…

I heard it was against NCAA rules to pass the ball to a player sitting on the bench...
Buddy was a HORRIBLE passer at any rate...

11th in the ACC in assist to turnover ratio. 19th in ACC in assists per game, which yes is partly driven by mins.

1st in minutes. I get you want to defend the kid, but you have to realize that as often as he touched the ball, he did a poor job of finding open teammates.

Assist to turnover ratio has nothing to do with mins. And I was responding to a post that said he was a terrible passer. As to the number of assists, I believe I mentioned mins played. I’m not defending anyone, just stating facts.

11th in the ACC in assist to turnover ratio. 19th in ACC in assists per game, which yes is partly driven by mins.
Yeah...Symir Torrence had a tenth(.1) of an assist LESS per game than Buddy (3.0 to 2.9)
and played 13 minutes a game to Buddy's 38. Yeah Buddy was called the "pez dispenser".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom