Our three point shooters | Syracusefan.com

Our three point shooters

Are a little bit of hype. More streaky than consistent.

Only one who is streaky is joe. Buddy and eli are consistent but even consistent shooters have bad games.

Offense isnt the problem today. Not even sure im mad at the defense. It happens.

Problem is 1:1 with no passing creates bad looks. Guys need to be open, set and square to make them

They are easily taken out of games just by putting a strong, quick kid on them. Neither of our guards has the athleticism to beat a good defender one on one. Which is why we need picks and or shoot from the logos.

This game was coaching. Eli has been able to take over games...Roy took Eli out of the game. They made somebody else beat them. Sidebe and buddy couldn’t keep up.

Joe is a shadow of his HS self. I dont think his upside is great. He is a warrior but at 6 feet he isnt going to do much better. Each game he is the smallest player on the court.

We are a shooting team (since we can’t drive or take teams 1on1) that can’t shoot. TGFS. Thank goodness for Sidibe

Words that at one point I never imagined I'd read, lol. Like I said earlier, someone was talking about the guys who could improve next year, and he was left off the list.

He's been showing signs that we could see a poor man's senior year Christmas next season(and maybe less poor than I thought when that popped into my head). Seriously, that dunk attempt where he got fouled made it seem like he was possessed...in a way that benefitted us. It's seemed to me like maybe a switch in his head(maybe his amygdala) flicked and he was more than the sum of his parts. The guy has won me over, at least for now. In a way, for me it feels similar to landing a new recruit or grad transfer. I don't recall if Christmas showed similar flashes toward the end of his junior season or not, even though I get that it isn't exactly oranges to oranges.

Last edited:
Joe is a shadow of his HS self. I dont think his upside is great. He is a warrior but at 6 feet he isnt going to do much better. Each game he is the smallest player on the court.
Isn’t he bigger and stronger than GMac?
I agree he has a limited ceiling, but there’s still room for improvement. No one expected him to be a starter this year. Maybe ever. With time, he’ll get better judgment, clean up his decisionmaking, get more consistent with his shot... We just need more help with playmaking and we can’t need him to play 40 and score 20. I hope he gets help in Kadary and Jalen next year so that he’s not a ‘cornerstone’ and he can develop in a more organic way.

Eli is streaky as well.

Very much so.

Never know what you're going to get from him, from one half to the next. Invisible in the first half today (aside from a horrible job on the boards), and a lot of empty points in the second half.

The quality of their looks vs. ours were night and day. Mismatch athletically and scheme-wise - and those things went hand in hand.

So what is it that you're saying?

I agree he has a limited ceiling, but there’s still room for improvement. No one expected him to be a starter this year. Maybe ever. With time, he’ll get better judgment, clean up his decisionmaking, get more consistent with his shot... We just need more help with playmaking and we can’t need him to play 40 and score 20. I hope he gets help in Kadary and Jalen next year so that he’s not a ‘cornerstone’ and he can develop in a more organic way.
Jalen is transferring.

Very much so.

Never know what you're going to get from him, from one half to the next. Invisible in the first half today (aside from a horrible job on the boards), and a lot of empty points in the second half.

Sometimes for me, it isn't just his invisible stretches, but also some of the shot selection at times combined with the time on the shot clock. He's earned his confidence, but even he has room for improvement, in my opinion. Like with some other guys, the "less than optimal" shot selection additionally can lead to breakouts the other way.

Last edited:

I agree with that. I'm not sure what folks were expecting from a guy that during the recruiting process some members argued didn't even belong on the team. I don't care to make any predictions at this moment on his continued career trajectory, but we've had worst at point guard in the not so distant past, in my opinion. At least there aren't multiple daily posts about how he doesn't put his hands up on D. The kid has a heart of a champion and a lot of fire inside of him. Sometimes that helps the improvement come more quickly.

As you noted, there's a good chance JB will feel it's logical to give him more help/rest next season with the roster he'll have at his disposal. The kid transitioned from playing a shooting guard at a small school to a freshman point guard in the ACC. Despite his shortcomings, I'd guess he's already exceeded the expecations of the majority on here for this season?

Last edited:
Agree w/OP regarding 3 point shooting not matching hype.
Had their moments, but as of now won't remember this as a great-shooting team.
Too many missed clutch/dagger 3pt opportunities, or games like yesterday (starters 6-22).

Until his next 20 point game that we win...
I don’t think the question is whether Syracuse will ever win another game with Joe & Buddy at the top of the zone, of course they will. But is that combination going to win the most games possible while playing zone?

SU scored 79 points and had a tremendous game from Sidibe and still lost by 13 to the worst team in the ACC. Yay.

Buddy is the only one who I would consider a “great” 3 point shooter.

Only one who is streaky is joe. Buddy and eli are consistent but even consistent shooters have bad games.

Yes. The streaky point has been made about every shooter we've ever had. It's like the football fan version who thinks their OL is always terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom