Overblown and overlong, as usual | Syracusefan.com

Overblown and overlong, as usual

SWC75

Bored Historian
The Olympics opening ceremony had some pretty moments but I have tired of these ceremonies over the years. They go on an on and seem to have less and less to do with the athletes. The thing with the Queen and James Bond was fun but kind of tacky. They finally seemed to be getting down to Olympic business with the playing of Chariots of Fire and it turned out to be a Rowan Atkinson comedy routine.

This all got started at LA in 1984, where they really wanted to put a Hollywood show on. I liked what they did then but ever since each Olympics has tried to out-do the prior one and it's gotten to be a bit much.

Here are a series of clips from that LA ceremony. I remember the song from the young woman who was a grocery store clerk at the time the most. Do we really need anything more than this?

I tune out all of that noise and really only watch the parade of nations. Love watching all of those small countries on parade knowing that their friends and family are back home watching with tons of pride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom