Effort, Toughness and Discipline | Syracusefan.com

Effort, Toughness and Discipline

Toronto Cuse

Walk On
If you look up my post history I'm one of the more positive people in this forum. I love our team, coaches and being a part of this community. And i usually avoid this place for a couple weeks after the season ends. Mostly cause i hate reading everyone ripping on college students who often don't deserve it. Now that they are being paid it bothers me way less than it used to tbh. When people at my org do a bad job, they get exited. And it should be no different here.

I need to get this off my chest. In a must win game, playing for our tournament lives, we lacked effort and enthusiasm. More importantly, like many times this season we quit as soon as things got hard. That speaks to our leaders and coaches. And frankly as a fan, I'm disappointed. Not that we lost. The transition year was always going to require us to change the engines while the plane was in the air. But you can control effort. And we had none. Q and Maliq are the only two players on our team who looked like they gave a sh^* that our season was ending. My 82 year old father and 8 year old nephew had more pain in their eyes than our players.

We need some mother f%^^^^^ers on this team next year. Guys who hate losing more than they like winning. And we need to say goodbye to the players who aren't good enough, don't care enough or don't fit our vision for the offense/defense. Time to land the plane, tell everyone to get the f*&^ off and load a new set of passengers.

What a sick world and state this game is currently in, but you either play it or you continue to be irrelevant.

Ideally, you like to see a team play with ability, attitude, cohesiveness.
In addition, you'd like to see a team improve through the season.
Last night was an embarrassment...

Good post. Have to disagree that Q looked like he cared. He was way too sloppy with the ball. To me, he seemed like he was clowning around.
Our teams have been soft at least since the "dad coach" years. This years team got 3 more wins then last years team, the win over Colgate was one of those 3...
You are so right that we need some toughness and heart. This team quit again yesterday and I really don't care who comes back.
It really doesn't matter how good Donnie is if we have a point guard who won't pass the ball.

2017 -2018 was the least offensive talented team I can remember watching. But they played defense every game. If this team played with the intensity on defense they would've easily made the tourney.

If you look up my post history I'm one of the more positive people in this forum. I love our team, coaches and being a part of this community. And i usually avoid this place for a couple weeks after the season ends. Mostly cause i hate reading everyone ripping on college students who often don't deserve it. Now that they are being paid it bothers me way less than it used to tbh. When people at my org do a bad job, they get exited. And it should be no different here.

I need to get this off my chest. In a must win game, playing for our tournament lives, we lacked effort and enthusiasm. More importantly, like many times this season we quit as soon as things got hard. That speaks to our leaders and coaches. And frankly as a fan, I'm disappointed. Not that we lost. The transition year was always going to require us to change the engines while the plane was in the air. But you can control effort. And we had none. Q and Maliq are the only two players on our team who looked like they gave a sh^* that our season was ending. My 82 year old father and 8 year old nephew had more pain in their eyes than our players.

We need some mother f%^^^^^ers on this team next year. Guys who hate losing more than they like winning. And we need to say goodbye to the players who aren't good enough, don't care enough or don't fit our vision for the offense/defense. Time to land the plane, tell everyone to get the f*&^ off and load a new set of passengers.

What a sick world and state this game is currently in, but you either play it or you continue to be irrelevant.
I disagree. If Autry sat there like a stotic Bbaers then I feel this might have legs. However, this dude was very animated, intense, and on these guys the entire back half of the season. I'm guessing you haven't dealt with Gen Z much. Now throw in NIL money and you get a group of entitled dudes that will give you what they feel they are worth and not an ounce more. If we have one of those guys..ok, but we have a team full of them! Listen to their comments in today's article and listen to the Muai post-games! Despite getting pasted because of lack of focus and effort they STILL think they are amazing. The problem is the players not the coach from my perspective. IF this continues in year 2? or 3? then yeah it's on him and hell be done, book it. But dealing with Gen Z daily, I'm telling you he has to look for the ones that have actual heart and conviction. Settle for nothing less. Give me a Hopkins or a Kong vs a Mintz or a Q any day.

Agree - not sure Q was on board last night though. He seemed to be playing for the name on the back of the jersey rather than the front. An issue the team has had a lot this year.

I also think and have said for a while - our S&C needs a revamp. We aren't tough or strong and often times both.

I also think and have said for a while - our S&C needs a revamp. We aren't tough or strong and often times both.
That's on JAB. He said as much that he preferred his guys work out on the court and do bodyweight exercises. A few guys worked out on their own, but most seemed to just stay the same.

We need guys who play with toughness. We get beat on the boards almost every game. When we played exclusively Zone you could blame the scheme, but no longer.

Shooting comes and goes, but you need more than one guy whose three point shot scares the opponents.

I am sick of the long lean types, we need to recruit a couple of Rick's and Arinze's. Maliq is the only guy who consistently competes on the glass.

We need to recruit some guys who actually produce on the court instead of all these guys with great "upside".

This Red's first full off-season. We need to see the kind of player he will bring in.

Lastly, we badly need the NIT, simply cant end the season with yesterdays disaster as our last game.

Simply put, our recruiting has been awful for years.

I’m happy with the two players this incoming class but I’m very concerned beyond that and with our ability to recruit the portal.

To most players playing today, we are not a destination. We are mediocre for their lifetimes. That attracts mediocre players, which in turn perpetuates mediocrity.

I sure as heck hope Red is inspirational and can recruit beyond the status of the program. If not, we’re in trouble.

Simply put, our recruiting has been awful for years.

I’m happy with the two players this incoming class but I’m very concerned beyond that and with our ability to recruit the portal.

To most players playing today, we are not a destination. We are mediocre for their lifetimes. That attracts mediocre players, which in turn perpetuates mediocrity.

I sure as heck hope Red is inspirational and can recruit beyond the status of the program. If not, we’re in trouble.
I don't understand the concern over the portal. We got three very highly rated portal transfers that had a number of high major offers... two got hurt. We also got a player with very a good prospect profile out of Kansas as a bit of a flyer.

Sure we lost Edwards... but that dead horse has been beaten to the fullest extent of the 9 lives my neighbor's cat claims.

I don't really know what happened with JG3... but the dude who showed up for Clemson would have been an asset to this team and could have gotten them a few extra wins. But maybe he would have shot us into a few extra losses as well. I lean towards we should have kept JG3 given that shooting is the single biggest weakness of this team, but I understand the perspective of the people who wanted him out.

We had no more room at the inn for anyone else because we brought back all of the returning sophs. I think the staff did a pretty good job of playing the portal... it just didn't work out as planned.

I disagree. If Autry sat there like a stotic Bbaers then I feel this might have legs. However, this dude was very animated, intense, and on these guys the entire back half of the season. I'm guessing you haven't dealt with Gen Z much. Now throw in NIL money and you get a group of entitled dudes that will give you what they feel they are worth and not an ounce more. If we have one of those guys..ok, but we have a team full of them! Listen to their comments in today's article and listen to the Muai post-games! Despite getting pasted because of lack of focus and effort they STILL think they are amazing. The problem is the players not the coach from my perspective. IF this continues in year 2? or 3? then yeah it's on him and hell be done, book it. But dealing with Gen Z daily, I'm telling you he has to look for the ones that have actual heart and conviction. Settle for nothing less. Give me a Hopkins or a Kong vs a Mintz or a Q any day.
Sooooo…white guys?

I agree that the coaching staff seemed as unprepared as the players last night which is frustrating after so many days of practice.

6 guys yall. Only one guy in the frontcourt with any sort of size or rebounding ability. It was a nightmare matchup and the only reason we won last time is because Klay Thomson was on our team for a half. Feel similarly about the Clemson game. In some matchups our front court is just comically outmatched. They tried to make a push in the second half but we really do not have the horses.

The one common factor in our recent wins is a crapload of points. In our wins from February to now, we never scored less than 82 points. We had to find another 80 something point performance tonight and we could not do it. I don't go right to effort. We are hopelessly outmatched on D no matter who we throw out there.

Good post. Have to disagree that Q looked like he cared. He was way too sloppy with the ball. To me, he seemed like he was clowning around.
Our teams have been soft at least since the "dad coach" years. This years team got 3 more wins then last years team, the win over Colgate was one of those 3...
You are so right that we need some toughness and heart. This team quit again yesterday and I really don't care who comes back.
It really doesn't matter how good Donnie is if we have a point guard who won't pass the ball.
You've got a point. People are raving about the improvement. We actually won only 2 more games than last year, Chaminade doesn’t count, and finished one spot higher (7th) in the ACC than last year (8th). That's improvement, albeit minor. I won't even mention the 15, 20 and 30-point blowout losses. I don’t have the data to back it up but I don’t remember as many blowout losses in one season during this 10-year malaise.

You've got a point. People are raving about the improvement. We actually won only 2 more games than last year, Chaminade doesn’t count, and finished one spot higher (7th) in the ACC than last year (8th). That's improvement, albeit minor. I won't even mention the 15, 20 and 30-point blowout losses. I don’t have the data to back it up but I don’t remember as many blowout losses in one season during this 10-year malaise.

No matter who is on the team next year, Red needs to have control. The players need immediate feedback if they play like last night. Judah should have been benched earlier in the season for mouthing off to the refs. We came back a little while he was on the bench after the T and then the team quit when he came back in. Red threatened to put the walk ons in earlier but he never did. This stuff should have been taken care of early in the season.

Autry lost it earlier this season when he got "brushed" by a player. If it had been Bobby K the player would have been decked, wheeled out on a gurney and never heard from again. LeBronning is rearing it's ugly head in college ball. Playground 1 on 1 never won anything. Defense can never be optional.

...Only one guy in the frontcourt with any sort of size or rebounding ability...
This is a MAJOR issue that doesn't get enough consideration.
The Orange had no real frontcourt given ACC standards.

Maliq played great given that he's out of position and often overmatched.
But on any kind of properly constructed team the starting forwards would be bench players.
SU was overmatched up front almost EVERY game.

Makeshift starting lineups have been going on for several years.
Ask Marek Dolezaj.
Sure, injuries play apart. They happen.
But whether its playing forwards at center or shooting guards at the point that's got to change.

It won't be easy as Red Autry constructs his own team.
But it has to happen.

Was going to make a new post but it's really in line with this thought.

Last year we had more rebounds per game than our opponents for the year was 2017-18. 6 YEARS! (..and that team couldn't shoot a lick yet got to a sweet 16)

We simply can't be a good team being outrebounded every year. the mindset has to chance. And if you can't rebound, I don't care what else you can do, you can't play.

Was going to make a new post but it's really in line with this thought.

Last year we had more rebounds per game than our opponents for the year was 2017-18. 6 YEARS! (..and that team couldn't shoot a lick yet got to a sweet 16)

We simply can't be a good team being outrebounded every year. the mindset has to chance. And if you can't rebound, I don't care what else you can do, you can't play.
I wish I could like this more than once. 100% we need more guys that get after it on defense and on the glass. You simply cannot expect to beat good teams getting destroyed on the glass and needing to shoot ridiculous percentage from the field with only 1 legitimate 3 point shooter on the team. obviously would like a more versatile roster in terms of shooters to help space the floor and have an actual center that isn’t a project or guy playing out of position too.

for me it wasnt that they lost. i mean, that sucked. but

it was the way it happened...it was like they didnt learn anything all year...they were trying but just didnt have it...was really expecting them to at least go out with a fight. hate to say it,but the problems are all between the ears.

if they played well but lost that would be different...but they just played soooo poorly. just horrible brand of basketball all-around.

in the JB era...the team at least almsot always put in a good performance on the way out...usually, anyway...not always...but this was like the worst version of the team...which is tough to watch and makes me question how and where this team is going...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom