Overstating Our Own Importance..... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Overstating Our Own Importance.....

Well said!!! There are a lot of immature statements made by people who seem to have started routing for SU within the last 10 years or so that don't have a clue about the history of the league!
To reply to the statement that SU made the league is silly! SU was a part of it but Gtown, St Johns, and Nova probably had more influence in the leagues popularity, Gtown for sure.
OK. Whether Cuse made the BE or whether Cuse played a major role in making the BE is splitting hairs and doesn't affect my point. Saying that anyone who wants our rivals to fail (and yes, I'm in that category) is not a true Syracuse fan is absurd. I root for Syracuse. Period. F*** the B******. First game in the dome in '89 and been following ever since.

Well said!!! There are a lot of immature statements made by people who seem to have started routing for SU within the last 10 years or so that don't have a clue about the history of the league!
To reply to the statement that SU made the league is silly! SU was a part of it but Gtown, St Johns, and Nova probably had more influence in the leagues popularity, Gtown for sure.
No way St Johns and Nova had more influence than Syracuse. I'll buy Gtown.

This thread reads like a petty ex-boyfriend who finds himself with a new girl, but yet wants to dump on the ex who treated him badly.

The classy thing to do would be to embrace the new relationship, & even through gritted teeth, wish the ex-gf well.

Its over, we're done, & we both know why the relationship ended. We shared some good times which we'll always remember, but its time to move on.
Being gracious is a reflection of maturity & self-worth.

Its not really necessary to play the - JMHO :noidea:
Some analogies, like this one, don't translate (I guess I'm the ex who dumps on the ex? which makes sherm ... the ex-gf's best friend?). But point taken. And I agree there's no reason to dump on the BE. I don't wish the BE teams any worse than any other team.

The best analogy is that a boyfriend and girlfriend living together, the girl breaks up with the guy but he forces her to stay until the end of the lease.

the Big East. They just prove more and more what a fantastic decision it was to leave that shitshow behind.

We are not overly important in the Big East. I was just tried of feeling used in 1979 did SU basketball benefit from the Big East relationship? Yes however back then college football was a TOTALLY different beast and SU didn't have to worry about feeling behind the 8-ball in a basketball conference. Once the ACC and Big 10 expanded in 1990, and Big XII was formed to start in 1994. The Big East model could not sustain itself SU had different agendas from PC, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and we should have joined the ACC in 1990 when we had the chance with Florida State. However, once we stayed in the Big East this divorce was pre-determined unless we dropped football. SU OWES NOTHING TO THE BASKETBALL ONLIES they have benefited more from the relationship since 1990 than vice-versa. I do believe the Big East of the 1980s was a benefit to SU basketball, but once we expanded beyond 10 for football this conference became a clusterbleep. Go luck to the basketball onlies and we are sure to have to sign home/homes to exit the conference.

It's not that I want to see the Big East die.

It's that I want to see Big East conference football die.

The Big East conference wasn't designed for football, and once it got into football it became a landing spot for misfits. Worse, that trickled over eventually into basketball too. The Big East could never be taken seriously as an all-sports conference so long as it had so many members in just one of the two major sports. That problem was getting worse, not better when the decision was made to bring in the basketball only schools.

I mean, look at the options the BE was considering for football! TCU was a good move, but nothing else would have been. Every other option would have involved major program building or a service academy. I'm sorry, I support the troops but the service academies do not belong in a major football conference. The fact that Navy was a viable option tells you that Big East football is, was, and always will be second rate. Memphis, Houston, ECU, UCF, Nova... you can't really be asking people to take that seriously. The Big East was the only BCS conference actively engaged in program building - there's a reason for that. It didn't fit.

Thankfully, the ACC is addressing it, because they are taking the steps to develop a conference that by profile and geography makes sense for the East coast. Adding UCONN/Rutgers/WFVU would further that end, and yes, I'm rooting for this. I want to see BE football demolished. It's a wounded animal that should be put out of its misery, and the sooner the better.

I love Big East basketball. Big East hoops makes sense, and it can and will survive. But that's all the Big East should be - a basketball conference for schools with great basketball traditions from the northeast that don't have Div 1 football.

The best analogy is that a boyfriend and girlfriend living together, the girl breaks up with the guy but he forces her to stay until the end of the lease.

**** the Big East. They just prove more and more what a fantastic decision it was to leave that shitshow behind.

How does Boeheim feel about Big East commissioner John Marianatto's assertion that the Big East would force Syracuse and Pittsburgh to stay in the conference for the rest of its 27-month exit agreement?

“I think that speaks to the problem in our league,’’ Boeheim said. “That’s foolish. He should be thinking about how he can save the Big East, not keep Syracuse and Pitt hostage. The best way to save the Big East is to get out and get a couple teams to come in. Because we’re gone. He needs to concentrate on getting somebody to replace us.’’

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom