Overview of the O (long) | Syracusefan.com

Overview of the O (long)

Rocco

Watching you.
I wanted to get this out last week, so here goes. I'm sure alot of you already read my take on the defense this year, which is much more predictable than the offense, so I will try and follow a similar format:

(posted before) To answer PaSyrFan's post in another thread, I agree that Marrone had us headed towards the next level, but I am confident in Shafer finishing the job. He is untested as a HC, but so was Marrone. After all, he was here all 4 years under Marrone's tenure leading a few very good defenses. The players, administration, fans and recruits all know of him. It was a very easy move and seamless transition to promote him up to HC. Whether or not he can handle the daily ins and outs of being the head honcho remains to be seen. He has surrounded himself with his own staff (and long-time friends), many of whom he has worked with in the past. They have really turned the program into a family-first culture, which the players love. He has implemented an open-door policy to all former players which has gone over very well (something DM wouldn't do). He already has the respect of his fellow coaches and players, so that is a huge plus. All in all, I am optimistic with him leading us out on the field on August 31st against the Nits.

Shafer and McDonald have quite a few question marks to answer on the offensive side of the ball. We're replacing 3 year starter and 4th rd pick Ryan Nassib at QB, 1st rd pick and 3 year starter LT Justin Pugh, LG Zack Chibane, WRs Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales. We lost alot of production out of them, but we also lost alot of the leadership that they showed the last few years. Who is going to step up?

As for the OFFENSE...

LEFT TACKLE

Coming into 2013, we lost likely one of the best LT's that has ever played at Syracuse in Justin Pugh. Being lightly recruited out of a Philly suberb, Marrone saw something in this kid right from the get-go. In 4 years, he turned into one of the top 5 OT's in the country and helped lead Syracuse to a record-breaking offensive season. He will be starting for the GMen in their season opener against Dallas; however, he's gone... Sliding over to replace him at LT is last year's RT Sean Hickey (6'5", 291). We are in good shape here. Hickey started the first 4 games last year at LT while Pugh was recovering from shoulder surgery, before switching back to RT for the rest of the year. He was more than serviceable. With another year under his belt, Hickey is poised to have a very solid season and is already highly regarded among NFL draft circles. Look for him to protect our QB's backside and continue to pave the way for Rome, Prince and crew. Hickey's main back-up will be Kyle Knapp (more on him below). We need Hickey to stay healthy in a big way. He is our most talented lineman and is in the most important position on the line with a new righty QB.

RIGHT TACKLE
Seeing Hickey left the RT spot open, we were guaranteed to have a new starter for the 2013 season. All signs point to redshirt sophomore Ivan "Big Papichulo" Foy (6'4", 313) getting the nod to start their against Penn State. Hailing from Brooklyn, Foy is one of the NYC kids that Marrone and Anselmo really liked. He has a massive frame and has shown some good play over the spring and summer. It is hard not to be concerned here as he is a natural guard that has been shifted over to tackle. He doesn't have the ideal foot speed needed for a tackle, but he may be our best option right now. Pushing him hard in practice before he got dinged up was redshirt freshman Kyle Knapp (6'4", 284). Knapp lacks Foy's towering paver frame, but is more of a technician. As it stands right now, Knapp is the key backup for either tackle position. If he had not gotten hurt in camp, there was a very good chance that he could've gotten the nod at RT over Foy. The good news is that he is young and very talented. He will be a starter next year at the very least. There are alot of raw, yet promising future tackle prospects on our roster. Jon Burton (6'6", 317), Jamar McGloster (6'7", 303) and Kendall Moore (6'6", 250) are some of the names who will need some time to develop. Moore has a chance to play this year (and is almost exclusively being used at TE in camp), but the other 2 tackles are sure to redshirt. Michael Lasker (6'4", 324) is a JUCO tackle who is a sleeper. He is listed at guard, but has the ability to move over and play well at tackle. The staff really likes him. Daniel Anyaegbunum is a walk-on who has held in own in practice, but let's hope that we don't have to give him any run.

LEFT GUARD

A position that was manned by current Buffalo Bill Zack Chibane for 3 years, we have a very good replacement in last year's starting RG Rob Trudo (6'3", 284). Trudo is a redshirt sophomore who was very productive last year in creating holes for 1,000 yard rusher Rome Smith. He switches sides this year, but he will be one of the staples on our offensive line. He is a brilliant kid, who also possesses a mean streak that you wouldn't think he had if you met him. As a "big ugly", you need to be able to beat the guy in front of you every play. With Hickey and Trudo occupying the left side of the line, I feel really good here. Always more to prove, but this side will be our strength. Expect the RB's to be running behind these guys quite a bit. Backing up Trudo is redshirt freshman Omari Palmer (6'2", 309), who has a very good summer camp. He has rotated in and out with the 1's, so he is sure to see the field. He is another road grater, who will be very good in the running game. JUCO's John Miller (6'2", 308) and Mike Lasker have had good camps. Miller is more of a guard than Lasker, and has been pushing both Trudo and Robinson.

RIGHT GUARD

Rob Trudo held down the RG spot last year, but with his switch to LG in the spring, he and fellow redshirt sophomore Nick Robinson (6'5", 297) flip-flopped positions. Robinson, from Baldwinsville, was used last year as a blocking TE in the TANK package, but was never a full-time a starter. As soon as he stepped foot onto campus 2 years ago, he has been turning heads. Trudo beat him out last year for the RG spot, and it was a matter of time before he filled in as a full-time starter along the line. Well his time has come. New OL Coach Perles said Robinson was the most improved lineman since the spring and that he has been able to fend off impressive Omari Palmer for the starting nod. I always thought that Robinson would end up at tackle, but he is better suited for guard after all. Couple new starter Robinson at LG along with new starter Foy at LT, and it makes me very nervous. You know teams will be coming right at them with blitz packages to try and get them to jump, but they need to listen to whatever the coaches are telling them. Very curious to see how these two guys can do on the "weaker" side of the line. With Palmer, Miller and Lasker being the backups, we have great depth at guard.

CENTER

Being the connective tissue of the OL, 4-year starter Macky MacPherson (6'2", 290) is the unquestioned leader of this year's offense. Hailing from mighty CBA and being the grandson of legendary SU Coach Mac, everyone assumed he got offered a scholarship as a kind gesture. After all, the kid was 6'2" and weighed about 230 his freshman year. I have gladly eaten alot of crow since then. Macky has been simply wonderful for our line over the last few years. What he can't make up for with his lack of size, he makes up with his strong devotion to being a great technician and soaking up his coaches' teachings. He has plumped his way up to 290, but has been a weight room "freak" as he leads in many categories. On top of all of that, he has been a great vocal leader for this team. He lets his fellow linemen know what the defense is doing, and many on the team consider him to be the most knowledgable. He certainly has a coaching career in front of him. I'd really like to see Shaf keep him around next year as a GA and help Emerich into the starting role. Behind Macky is redshirt freshman Jay Emerich (6'3", 280). Emerich has been very impressive and has wowed the coaches. Fortunately for him, he has had a strong leader in front of him to show him the ropes. Macky has been very durable in his first 3 years, and I'm hoping that trend continues. We should be in good shape here next year though. Behind Emerich is true freshman Alex Hayes (6'2", 315), who will redshirt.

All in all, the OL has a few areas of concern, but overall I feel better than I did after the Pinstripe Bowl. Having Hickey, Trudo and Macky returning as starters helps considerably. Replacing long-time starters Pugh and Chibane will be challenging. Look for Foy and Robinson to deal with their fair share of learning bumps, but let's hope Perles and McDonald figure out a way to "protect" them a bit.

RUNNING BACKS

With two solid rushers from last year's 8-5 squad, redshirt junior Jerome Smith (6'0", 226) and true senior Prince-Tyson Gulley (5'9", 190 with dreads ;) ) look to continue building on their careers at Syracuse. Like our own version of "thunder and lightning", Rome is the pounder between the tackles-type-of-guy, while Gulley is more of the slasher, foot-in-the-ground speedster that trys to shake people. Rome, however, recently ran a 4.5 40 and last year was able to show his speed when he hit the corner. He still doesn't possess top-end speed or quickness, but has the ability to make guys miss. With his jacked frame, he is a guy who hurt opposing players and break many tackles. Get a good look at him this year because he will likely be hearing his name called in April's NFL Draft. Gulley is more of a scat back, who had quite a few long runs last year. He has the ability to screen out and dance after he catches the ball. With the new offense that McDonald is bringing in, expect Gulley to be catching passes in the flat, running up the gut on delays and hitting the corner on sweeps. The 1-2 punch that Syracuse has in these two guys is amazing.

By far our deepest position on either side of the ball. Backing up Rome and PTG, are redshirt freshmen George Morris II (6'0", 203) and Devante McFarlane (6'0", 201), respectively. These two guys can flat-out fly and will see the field this year. Both of them possess breakaway speed that we haven't seen at SU in years. I watched Morris last year at Ft Drum and he was incredible. Fortunately, for both of them, they were able to redshirt last year with PTG and Smith ahead of them. It gave them a chance to get healthy, learn the playbook and get bigger. It has obviously paid off. The future is bright for a long time at RB. This is the deepest stable of quality RB's that I can remember in a long time. Another mystery card in all of this is former highly touted true junior Adonis Ameen-Moore (5'11", 239). He saw time last year as the TANK tailback scoring 5 tds, but has always struggled with his weight. The new staff moved him to fullback, which will be anchored by senior Clay Cleveland (6'1", 230). The best scenario for Moore this year would for him to redshirt. He is not going to see any time at RB with Smith as the power back, and more importantly, we will need a bruiser once Smith is likely gone next year. By redshirting, it would give AAM 2 more years of eligibility starting next year. All in all, this unit gets an A. Looking forward to Smith AND possibly PTG both going over 1,000 yards this year.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Losing Lemon and Sales in the same year is a killer, especially with how consistently productive those guys were. There is alot of talent at the WR position, but not alot of experience. Redshirt junior Jarrod West (6'2", 203) was the 3rd head of the 3-headed monster last year, but his role has quickly morphed into being the go-to guy. Does he have it in him to step up? I think he does. He runs quick routes, and has the ability to shake after he catches the ball. Behind West is junior speedster Jeremiah Kobena (6'0", 182). He had 2 TDs against NW in last year's opener, but a wrist injury derailed his quick start. He never really recovered, but it 100% healthy right now and has looked good in camp. Redshirt freshman Ben Lewis (6'2", 194) is currently playing with the 3's and will have to work to get on the field this year. He will certainly be involved on STs. I really came away impressed with Lewis after seeing his magnet hands at Ft Drum last year. He doesn't do anything great, but he is a smooth runner, runs good routes and has great hands. The biggest disappointment has been junior Arkansas transfer Quinta Funderburke (6'3", 201), who excited everyone when he announced he was coming to Syracuse. Falling behind academically last year, he is currently in the doghouse with coaches. On top of that, in his limited reps in camp, he has been pedestrian at best. I am still using my wild card on him. I saw him last year and he is extremely talented. He is a glider who can kcik it into high gear when he wants to. I hope that he can break out of the slump he is in because I know he has ability.

It looks like senior Adrian Flemming (6'3", 200) will start on the opposite side of him. Flemming has been absolutely decimated by injuires throughout his SU career, but hopefully he will make it to August 31st unscathed. He provides us with a deep, vertical threat who can go up and get the ball. Prior to his injury at Ft Drum last year, he was poised to get some serious PT. This is his last hoorah and I am really pulling for the kid. He has great athletic ability that we haven't been able to see yet. Behind Flemming right now is senior Chris Clark (5'11", 160) and redshirt freshman Alvin Cornelius (6'1", 187). Clark had a few TD grabs last year and has shown some flashes, but is so darn skinny. That was his biggest problem in staying healthy last year, he was always dinged up. Cornelius is another kid who is a coach favorite. He was able to take his redshirt year and parlay it into a very successful 12 months of honing his skill. He will see the field this year on STs and may sneak in as a receiver every once in a while. True freshmen Corey Winfield (6'0", 180) and Sean Avant (5'10", 183 - more of an H-back) are also in the mix. Winfield is a leaper and was being talked about being the corner fade redzone threat, but has been dinged up. I am expecting both of these guys redshirt, unless the staff really feels that strongly about one of them to burn it. Redshirt sophomore Keenan Hale (6'2", 190) suffered a season-ending injury after making strides in spring camp.

True sophomore Ashton Broyld (6'4", 221) is looking very good in camp as an H-back, and the coaches will figure out how to get him the ball in space. He is the best athlete that we have at receiver and has shown the ability to make guys miss once he is free to roam. Due to his home-run potential, he is a distraction on the field and there always need to be a hat on him. This potentially opens up the field elsewhere. The options are much better with him on the field. He needs to work on catching the ball, which he has made great strides in, and he should be in for a productive season. Expect some trickery involving AB. ;) True freshman Brisly Estime has been turning heads in camp with his lightning-fast feet and quick legs. He is currently backing up Broyld at H-back, but brings a completely different look than AB. He is much smaller and quicker than AB and we will see the field. Expect to see a few jet sweeps used with him. Hopefully he will become our own Tavon Austin. He is also a strong candidate for both return jobs.

TIGHT END

Senior Beckett Wales (6'3", 225) is far and away the #1 TE on our roster at this point. The TE won't be used as much as it was under Hack and Marrone, but he will still see the field often. Beckett should have quality production this year with a new quarterback at the helm. He is a perfect check-down option and has shown great hands over the years. Behind Wales is redshirt freshman Josh Parris (6'2", 255), who has shown value with his blocking skills. He will see the field this year at times, but he will likely be more of a STs guy. I am hoping both freshmen PJ Batten (6'3", 218) and Tyler Provo (6'0", 246) get to redshirt this year and learn the ropes. Batten has incredible athleticism and Provo will end up moving to fullback.

QUARTERBACK

The most talked about positional battle of the off-season has been at quarterback. We have been spoiled over the last few years with Ryan Nassib, but he is with the GMen now, so the job fell into Charley Loeb's hands after the Pinstripe Bowl. By the end of spring, Terrell Hunt worked his way to the top of the depth chart and moved past Loeb as the starter. Then, Syracuse got involved with Oklahoma gunslinger Drew Allen, who ultimately decided to transfer to Syracuse due to the great opportunity he had to come in and start. It appears right now that he has been able to do that. Shaf has closed off practices for the next 10 days and has said he won't publically name a starter until gameday. The rumor is that Allen will win. I am beginning to feel that way, but not completely sold on that yet.

Hunt (6'3", 219) is a redshirt sophomore who has shown quick feet inside of the pocket. He has a big arm, but lacks ideal consistency on his throws. He often doesn't get through his reads and settles for an easier checkdown before the play develops. He is faster on his fast than Allen, but not by that much, contrary to belief. He has a great story and am pulling for this kid to start. He has busted his butt since getting a second chance, but may come up just short.

Allen (6'5", 226) is a 5th year senior who has to make this his last hooray. He could never crack the starting job at Oklahoma. He starting looking around for a destination that was ideal for his 5th year, and Syracuse worked out. As soon as he got here back in April, the rumors started that he was already annointed the starter. The staff obviously knew they were getting a good player and Shafer personally called Oklahoma HC Bob Stoops to confirm this. Allen and Hunt have turned it into a 2 man QB race, basically eliminating Loeb from the competition. Allen has a bigger, more accurate arm than Hunt. Having a few extra years on Hunt, he also possesses a little more maturity. Neither of them have been flattering in camp, where we would have liked to have seen one considerably pull away from the other. The battle remains spirited, but there is a good chance that Allen will receive the 1 snaps this week prepping for Penn St.

I remain nervous about what we are going to see from the QB position this year. There really isn't anything to go on as neither of them have any starting experience, and only Allen has game experience, albeit garbage time. If Allen wins the job, he will provide us with a big arm that will be able to highlight the receivers a bit more down the field. If Hunt wins, he will provide us with a little bit more of a scrambler option who has shown the ability to hit some of the short-to-mid throws. Either way, Lester and McDonald have a big hill to climb. This will be a defining coaching moment for them. How they create a strategy for either of them will be a true test from a coaching perspective.

CONCLUSION

As we are only 10 days away from the season opener against Penn St, the offense certainly has the perception of being a weaker, less experienced unit than the defense. They are less experienced without question and are filling new faces into positions that have been filled by very good players for the last few years, but this is where someone needs to step up.

RT and QB are my biggest concerns.

I will be anxious to see how Foy holds up against quick D-end.

The left side and center are very, very good. Bullish as hell here.

I am anxious to see how Allen or Hunt can deal with starting for the first time against Penn St in MetLife Stadium of all places. Going with Allen, but my gut still wants Hunt.

I am really not too concerned with the WRs. There is alot of talent and I think the core of West, Broyld, Flemming, Kobena, Clark, Estime and Cornelius will be more than enough. I am still holding out hope that Funderburke shows up. If not, give him a redshirt. The talent is there, he just needs to wake up.

Our RB situation is amazing, and will be for a few years. Smith and PTG are poised for big years, but aniticipate a few splashes from our young guns. We need to make sure we get a few good RBs in this year's recruiting class to keep the 2 year gap going. We will get Ish Witter. Count on it.

TE will be fine with Wales.

McDonald, in his 1st stint as offensive coordinator, has his work cut out. He has installed a pistol, 2 back formation. The float will be either a TE or an H-Back. I have a feeling we will see alot of the H-Back with the options there between AB and Bris. Dangerous athleticism, matchup problems and playmaking ability. We need the line to hold up, which I think they will. Our depth overall is very good. WRs, RBs, TE is deep. Interior linemen is deep. Need some big-time tackles this year. Wake up Aaron Roberts and Chad Mavety. You can come in and possibly start from Day 1 next year. This offense will be fast-paced, high-tempo, lots of plays. Execution will be key.

I cannot wait for August 31st. Sorry this is so long, but hopefully this is helpful.

images

20121229_jla_ae5_352.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Great overview Rocco - your analysis should get many likes.

I for one think we will be pleasantly surprised this year. If Drew Allen gets the nod, he will play "all out" because its his last year to perform. Huge motivation for Allen to win and perform well to ever make it to the next level. Hunt still has a few years yet.

Thanks for your analysis. I almost feel ready for the season after reading your take. You, Tomcat, and others see so much detail that it seems you guys see things at quarter speed. When are your special teams & coaching chapters coming out?

Thanks for your analysis. I almost feel ready for the season after reading your take. You, Tomcat, and others see so much detail that it seems you guys see things at quarter speed. When are your special teams & coaching chapters coming out?

Now that is a great question - what about special teams? My gut tells me that with over 100 bodies at practice, we should be better than in previous years.

It
Now that is a great question - what about special teams? My gut tells me that with over 100 bodies at practice, we should be better than in previous years.
It seems our overall team speed is better but I haven't heard a lot of confidence in the kickers as yet.

Thanks Rocco.

Hoping that Funderburke has a break out fall.

I worry that Funderburke's tenure will look like Morant's first couple years and fans will be frustrated with him a la Morant's first couple years. Hope I am quite wrong here.

i don't think you have to be too concerned about Foy, the staff is quick to replace ineffective lineman. Case in point, Foy being rotated out last year, in the midst of the very first game.i'm very bullish on Knapp. i've watched a lot of practices and have seen his intensity and how hard he wants to succeed. his scout team look last year was phenomenal with him getting under the skin of the defensive by always wanting to finish plays. His size is what held him back, but knowing his work ethic i'm assured that he has gained strength exponentially over the summer and will be the started by game 4. You said he was a technician, that means he's always watching film and a student of the game

Great (long!!) report.

Seems like a lot of group-think in what you and others write about Foy -- not supported by actual observations of how he is playing or what the OL coach thinks of his ability or how he has developed over the past year. Foy hasn't been challenged in camp (or in the Spring). Knapp wasn't working at R-OT even when he was healthy. We are OK at OT as long as Hickey & Foy are healthy.

Back-up O-linemen can't be as good as you wrote. The reserves are either undersized by ACC standards or jucos who are still adjusting. How well does the second OL perform in scrimmages?

WRs -- beat writers gave this group low marks (other than West) based on what they showed in a scrimmage, which makes me wonder if this write-up is tinged with Orange optimism. When you are trying to get by with a committee (Kobena, Clark, Cornelius, Flemming), you pretty much don't have a true #2 receiver. And that is why the offense will need to depend on short passes to Broyld and Wales. Have to be hoping that the younger receivers (Kobena & Cornelius) get better.

Great (long!!) report.

Seems like a lot of group-think in what you and others write about Foy -- not supported by actual observations of how he is playing or what the OL coach thinks of his ability or how he has developed over the past year. Foy hasn't been challenged in camp (or in the Spring). Knapp wasn't working at R-OT even when he was healthy. We are OK at OT as long as Hickey & Foy are healthy.

Back-up O-linemen can't be as good as you wrote. The reserves are either undersized by ACC standards or jucos who are still adjusting. How well does the second OL perform in scrimmages?

WRs -- beat writers gave this group low marks (other than West) based on what they showed in a scrimmage, which makes me wonder if this write-up is tinged with Orange optimism. When you are trying to get by with a committee (Kobena, Clark, Cornelius, Flemming), you pretty much don't have a true #2 receiver. And that is why the offense will need to depend on short passes to Broyld and Wales. Have to be hoping that the younger receivers (Kobena & Cornelius) get better.

First and foremost, I admit to always having a slightly Orange tint to my analysis... I am the opposite of the guys at syracuse.com. Capeesh?

I tried to be as fair as I could here. I am legit worried in a few spots; if things were so perky, I'd say we were going to storm the ACC.

I think 7-5, maybe even 8-4 would be a damn good year with this group against far stiffer competition. Not worried about the defense, but they will ultimately get beat up if the offense can't move the ball. A crystal ball would be great here, but that would take the fun out of it.

Foy - Count me in the group that doesn't feel overly confident here. He is a natural guard that is now a tackle. I think he lacks the foot speed to compete with some of these D-ends in the ACC. Like the Macky situation, I hope I am eating alot of crow on this one as well. And Kyle Knapp was battling for the RT spot. I think he is the fill-in at either tackle spot if someone goes down. Behind him would be Jon Burton or Dan Anyaeugbunum. Depth at tackle is not there right now. This is a crucial year for developing the raw freshmen on the team, and for picking up 2 if not 3 very solid OT prospects. Mavety and Roberts would be awesome. I expect the staff to grab a JUCO as well.

The interior backup linemen are playing good, in camp at least. Will never know until someone with a different jersey is lined up across from them. We may be undersized, but that doesn't completely make this group ineffective. Omari Palmer is a beast. Jay Emerich will start next year. Lasker and Miller have talent. You can believe whatever you'd like, I'm just telling you how people I've talked to see it.

WRs - you can go back and look at my thoughts on this unit for the last 6-7 months, and I have remained consistently optimistic. There is talent there. A few guys need to step up and I think they will. It really is as simple as that. Whether or not that happens is another thing.

The effectiveness of the H-back will be a big catalyst of this offense (Broyld, Estime). So far things look better than worse there. Jury's still out.

And by the way, I could give two squirts what the "beat writers" think. They can literally go pound salt. They've already tarnished their accessibility into the program and pissed the coaches off a few times.

Your additional notes were as good as your excellent initial O report. Thanks for a great read!

Great report. The length of the report is necessary to convey all that info. Just like Tom's and others' game recaps, can't convey what really happens in two paragraphs. Thanks from an out-of-towner. Looking forward to Special Teams and Coaches editions.

Foy - ...I hope I am eating a lot of crow on this one as well. ...

The interior backup linemen are playing good, in camp at least. ...

WRs - ... There is talent there. A few guys need to step up and I think they will. It really is as simple as that. Whether or not that happens is another thing.

And by the way, I could give two squirts what the "beat writers" think. They can literally go pound salt. ...

Well, your Orange-colored glasses are working fine for the WRs, and not so much for the right side of the line.

The beat writers are conveying observations about how the WRs are doing in practice -- whether they get separation, whether they make aggressive moves to make difficult catches, whether they have a knack for catching the long ball.

As for Foy, I hope the crow will taste good. He showed enough as a RF to compete for a starting spot. The coaches found a way to put the best 5 OL on the field. People tend to exaggerate the difficulty of the move from R-OG to R-OT. Ultimately, the question is how is Foy actually doing in scrimmages. The coaches seem to be keeping that first group in place --

Bottom line -- I am more concerned with the WRs (and the safeties), and more confident that Foy will prove the skeptics wrong. Check back in 2 weeks.

CENTER

Being the connective tissue of the OL, 4-year starter Macky MacPherson (6'2", 290) is the unquestioned leader of this year's offense.
Great right up. Thanks for all the info. I think there is small mistake (it's bound to happen with that much info). Isn't Macky a 3 year starter? Didn't he only long snap his freshman year?

First and foremost, I admit to always having a slightly Orange tint to my analysis... I am the opposite of the guys at syracuse.com. Capeesh?

I tried to be as fair as I could here. I am legit worried in a few spots; if things were so perky, I'd say we were going to storm the ACC.

I think 7-5, maybe even 8-4 would be a damn good year with this group against far stiffer competition. Not worried about the defense, but they will ultimately get beat up if the offense can't move the ball. A crystal ball would be great here, but that would take the fun out of it.

Foy - Count me in the group that doesn't feel overly confident here. He is a natural guard that is now a tackle. I think he lacks the foot speed to compete with some of these D-ends in the ACC. Like the Macky situation, I hope I am eating alot of crow on this one as well. And Kyle Knapp was battling for the RT spot. I think he is the fill-in at either tackle spot if someone goes down. Behind him would be Jon Burton or Dan Anyaeugbunum. Depth at tackle is not there right now. This is a crucial year for developing the raw freshmen on the team, and for picking up 2 if not 3 very solid OT prospects. Mavety and Roberts would be awesome. I expect the staff to grab a JUCO as well.

The interior backup linemen are playing good, in camp at least. Will never know until someone with a different jersey is lined up across from them. We may be undersized, but that doesn't completely make this group ineffective. Omari Palmer is a beast. Jay Emerich will start next year. Lasker and Miller have talent. You can believe whatever you'd like, I'm just telling you how people I've talked to see it.

WRs - you can go back and look at my thoughts on this unit for the last 6-7 months, and I have remained consistently optimistic. There is talent there. A few guys need to step up and I think they will. It really is as simple as that. Whether or not that happens is another thing.

The effectiveness of the H-back will be a big catalyst of this offense (Broyld, Estime). So far things look better than worse there. Jury's still out.

And by the way, I could give two squirts what the "beat writers" think. They can literally go pound salt. They've already tarnished their accessibility into the program and pissed the coaches off a few times.

Good posts, a lot of good insight and breakdown of where we are at with our starters and our depth or in some cases lack there of.

A couple quick points: The Mavety ship has sailed, I think we have a good chance with Roberts but his recruitment has unfortunately been up and down so its hard to say where he might end up. Its likely we will need to hit the JUCO ranks once again. Regarding Funderburke he is I believe a redshirt sophmore so he does not have the ability to take a redshirt, really hope he can provide something as I have big time concerns about the WR position.

Bottom line -- I am more concerned with the WRs (and the safeties), and more confident that Foy will prove the skeptics wrong. Check back in 2 weeks.

Concerned with our safeties?

Good posts, a lot of good insight and breakdown of where we are at with our starters and our depth or in some cases lack there of.

A couple quick points: The Mavety ship has sailed, I think we have a good chance with Roberts but his recruitment has unfortunately been up and down so its hard to say where he might end up. Its likely we will need to hit the JUCO ranks once again. Regarding Funderburke he is I believe a redshirt sophmore so he does not have the ability to take a redshirt, really hope he can provide something as I have big time concerns about the WR position.

Regarding Mavety, I know that Ohio St is in the driver's seat, but you never know. The kid has a chance to come and start right away from Day 1. I think we will get Roberts.

Will work on it this weekend. The coaches are a good bunch of dudes who love their craft. Pretty special.

I can see that. There were a lot of missed tackles from safeties not named Thomas last year.

True, but Esk is a player and Morgan/Desir will play alot. Wilkes will be average as usual, but has the ability to make a play or two. Just think about @USF his freshman year...

Our corners are going to be great this year though. Can't wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom