Class of 2020 - P/K James Williams (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/19/19) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 P/K James Williams (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/19/19)

If you Google Ray Guy "how to punt a football" he takes four starting with the catch from center left foot, first step position second step, right gains momentum left, third and brings his cocked leg and foot forward to contact the ball with his right, four.
I think they were talking field goal.

If you Google Ray Guy "how to punt a football" he takes four starting with the catch from center left foot, first step position second step, right gains momentum left, third and brings his cocked leg and foot forward to contact the ball with his right, four.
You really want to argue about this huh. I concede you are right about everything. or not.

Last edited:
You really want to argue about this huh. I concede you are right about everything. or not.
I am not arguing with you, just stating my opinion about what I see.

I am not arguing with you, just stating my opinion about what I see.
Okay here is my opinion, the more steps in your punt technique, the more likely(percentage wise) that your kick can be blocked. It is not about ability to get off exceptional kicks, it is about how often you might get blocked. A blocked kick usually ends up with the opponent scoring. You can compensate for extra steps by starting further from center assuming your distance on kicks is great enough to offset. Appears this should not be a problem for Williams.
Ray Guy is a Hall of fame punter and who am I to question his technique, however he did have multiple kicks blocked in his career. There is a trade off, as with most things, on how you do things and the actual resuls.
My opinion is it would be better if Williams technique involved fewer steps, but he should probably not try to change at this point because it might screw up his obvious abilities.

ray guy had 3 punts blocked. he went 5 yrs them had 3 blocked in less than 30 games and then finished with his last 600+ not blocked

ray guy had 3 punts blocked. he went 5 yrs them had 3 blocked in less than 30 games and then finished with his last 600+ not blocked
Looking quickly at the numbers, it is likely Guy had the fewest punts blocked per attempt in the history of the NFL at least if you only consider punters who punted regularly for years. 3 out of 1049 is incredible.

James Williams, K/P, Athens Academy (GA)
Stats: 7/7 PAT, 3 punts (37, 48, 45), 6 of 8 kickoffs were touchbacks against Stephens County
Last week: Athens Academy 49, Stephens County 19
Next week: Cherokee Bluff @ Athens Academy

9568067.jpeg