P-S article on rule changes for 2014... | Syracusefan.com

P-S article on rule changes for 2014...

supp

Hall of Fame
Worth a look, as apparently the rules committee is looking to slow down the high-tempo offenses by penalizing teams for snapping the ball too quickly into the play-clock. The committee members claim that injuries on defense because of a lack of opportunities to sub out is the reason for the changes. But is there any evidence that there have been more injuries because of high-tempo offenses? Or are the rules changes more self-serving? Would be interesting to know the makeup of the rules committee (i.e. mostly defense-minded coaches, pro-style offensive coaches for whom the rules changes would be a net positive or have little effect).

Saban is one of the biggest whiners on this according to some things I've read. I swear this guy will do anything to take away another team's advantage. Can't game plan for it? Just bitch about it until they take it away.

Not really sure how this changes much. teams were not snapping in 10 secs hardly at all.. You still cant sub and snap. even high speed offenses were taking 15-20 secs to get a play. this just means teams know they have 10 secs. but if they change the sub rule to go with it then this wont help anything.

This one rankles me. Games that use to take two and a half hours to play now (with
TV timeouts) last the better part of four hours. Players are standing around after every change of possession. If they can't play ten or twelve straight plays (the length of a long drive) something is seriously wrong with the teams conditioning program. What the Sabin's of the world want is situational substitutions on defense. I think that forcing the defense to go with the same personal package as long as the offense doesn't substitute, creates many more opportunities for the offensive team to exploit defensive lineups that are not balanced.

Worth a look, as apparently the rules committee is looking to slow down the high-tempo offenses by penalizing teams for snapping the ball too quickly into the play-clock. The committee members claim that injuries on defense because of a lack of opportunities to sub out is the reason for the changes. But is there any evidence that there have been more injuries because of high-tempo offenses? Or are the rules changes more self-serving? Would be interesting to know the makeup of the rules committee (i.e. mostly defense-minded coaches, pro-style offensive coaches for whom the rules changes would be a net positive or have little effect).
more plays, more injuries. do we really need to prove that?

i think it's a little silly. once you start worrying about injuries, i eventually just get to "they should outlaw this stupid game"

which actually should factor into the dome replacement discussion!

change the rule back to the old days.. you sub out you cant come back in. the teams start the drive if a player leaves before the drive is over he stays out until the next series.. just like the hockey icing rule or the basketball injury rule,

Is there an exception in there for the last couple minutes of a half?
Are they going to decide games by penalizing teams trying to run a game-winning drive?

[EDIT: I later saw an actual article on this and they do have this exception. Still a bad rule though.]

Last edited:
we're so concerned about injuries we're going to add more games :crazy:

the offensive players are playing at the same pace, no?

Not trying to be a neanderthal meathead, but if you can't play with the guys on the field, tough. Get players who can, or just let the play go. Penalizing the offense for the defense not being able to do what they want to do is ludicrous.

Dumb rule, pretty simple. Most of the "injuries" that Saban and others is complaining about are of the fake variety to stop the clock and slow down the game.

just another way (no early signing period) to keep the little guy down. Lets go to 8 games, no bowl games and no spring practice. That will reduce injuries and let theses guys enjoy college.

It's funny that Saban is so for this. He left the Dolphins because he wanted to have 5 first round picks at Bama than 1 and now he cries about something he can't stop. He's so full of BS regarding the in juries, it's about him getting his ass handed to him and since he can't stop it on the field he has to make a rule about it. Can't cheat on this one behind the scenes unless you consider paying off the rules committee cheating.

This will be like taking the home run out of baseball or expanding the outfield fence to 700ft. Why not make the play clock 50 seconds then instead of 40 and let the teams that want to slow it down use as much as they can. That way the teams that want to play fast, can, and the teams that don't can use clock and sub all they want.

It's funny that Saban is so for this. He left the Dolphins because he wanted to have 5 first round picks at Bama than 1 and now he cries about something he can't stop. He's so full of BS regarding the in juries, it's about him getting his ass handed to him and since he can't stop it on the field he has to make a rule about it. Can't cheat on this one behind the scenes unless you consider paying off the rules committee cheating.

Saban is a cheating turd (spelling?).

This one rankles me. Games that use to take two and a half hours to play now (with
TV timeouts) last the better part of four hours. Players are standing around after every change of possession. If they can't play ten or twelve straight plays (the length of a long drive) something is seriously wrong with the teams conditioning program. What the Sabin's of the world want is situational substitutions on defense. I think that forcing the defense to go with the same personal package as long as the offense doesn't substitute, creates many more opportunities for the offensive team to exploit defensive lineups that are not balanced.
i think saban is right that more players mean more chance of injury but i think he's full of pretending that's why he is in favor of the rule

This is the stopping spread option rule. Rich Rodriguez, Mike Gundy, Mike Leach all have twitter rants against this move. The thing I find interesting is that the BCS schools weren't even part of the committee from where this rule change was promoted from. I don't think its that big a deal, but anything that ticks off these control freak coaches is good in my opinion. I don't think many snaps are done in the first 10 seconds except in the last 2 minutes of a half.

javadoc said:
How about dialing the season back to 11 games? It's only going to get worse if they start implementing an ever-expanding playoff.
neverrrrr Cfb is my holy grail only get 3 1/2 months of it... Keep at 12 or even expand to 14 and start in mid August!!!

I'm not a fan of rich rod but he just killed it on Dan Patrick show.

Cowherd was all over this, this morning. He thinks it's absurd.

even RR has said they dont get snaps off in 10 secs.. But if you run the line and are ready havent you accomplished the same thing even if you dont snap it fast.. its all about getting the D confused

Someone, with enough time or need, could probably turn this into a hypothesis concerning our society and its general wussification and everyone gets a trophy mentality.

Someone, with enough time or need, could probably turn this into a hypothesis concerning our society and its general wussification and everyone gets a trophy mentality.

Or someone could make the case that it's a sign of the break-down of society altogether where those in a position of privilege forsake the rest and seek to maintain their advantage at all costs.

Sounds to me like you just did...
Or someone could make the case that it's a sign of the break-down of society altogether where those in a position of privilege forsake the rest and seek to maintain their advantage at all costs.
And yes, that's exactly where I would go with that thought.

Add me to the list of people who think even entertaining this as an option is absurd. The details of the proposed rule make it clear that this is a thinly veiled attempt at guaranteeing defenses the ability to change personnel packages at any time, negating a designed advantage of spread style offenses. You have to love the signalling though, "I can't beat innovation on the field" is what I'm reading into it. But don't despair, it'll take a few years but someone will come up with something equally innovative that will change the game and they'll change the rules even faster.