P-S Writer Predictions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

P-S Writer Predictions

sufandu said:
Is this hyperbole or do you think we'll score more than BG did last year?

Not addressed to me, but I'll respond ;)

I think we will score like BG did mid-way through next season or in his 3rd season. Absolutely. Everywhere this offense is run it happens. I'm not sure I buy the Big 12 doesn't play defense, but the ACC does. I think it's more they play a crazy style of offense in the Big 12 and teams generally don't in the ACC.

We'll see.

If that's true, the unfortunate thing is that it's a terrible benchmark. Teams score a lot more than they did in the McNabb days. We need to benchmark against how teams score now. Dino will get us there. Lester I don't believe ever would have. Some of that due to his own scheme, some of that because Shafer wasn't comfortable with big point totals.

We were t-80th in points scored. 117th in passing yards per game.
But how about that field position?

We were t-80th in points scored. 117th in passing yards per game.
But how about that field position?
Thanks Marroniac. I hadn't felt depressed yet today.

Just to add more on why we should beat NC State:

-They have the worst coach in the ACC

-They lost their QB from last year plus 3 starters on the OL, including an AA.

-Their best win last year was beating the 80th ranked Sagarin team. That is right their best win last year was over SU!!! Their schedule every year is a joke and people see 7-6 and think that they must be decent.

I really think NC State might contend this year for last in the Atlantic.
Plus Swofford will tell the refs to give you all the calls because he hates NC State so much and wants them to lose every conference game. If you don't believe it, just ask their fans on PackPride, they'll tell you.

Bud is off on more than his predictions. Guy is super negative. Cant stand his attempt at writing

Maybe Bud will be more positive this year. He might be excited about new huzzah Dino Babers, his ramrod of a QB in Eric Dungey and the potential for the unwashed to buy a lot of ducats

Maybe Bud will be more positive this year. He might be excited about new huzzah Dino Babers, his ramrod of a QB in Eric Dungey and the potential for the unwashed to buy a lot of ducats
Awesome post. I keep hoping that Bud and the Man child get hired as personal publicist for Caitlin and forever save us additional journalistic pain

I think I read somewhere that last year's team scored more points per game than any Syracuse team since McNabb? I'll have to check on that.

Edit - According to Phil Steele Lester's offense tied a Syracuse Football record by scoring 20 points or more 11 times - the last time an Orange team did that was 1997. That was what I was recalling. So, with essentially one season to work with, Lester did pretty well under the circumstances.

But, regardless of the reference to an evil terrorist organization, I admit that like option football.

And that includes read option football.

So, I think I'll like watching Dino's team play.

I'm an option fan too, but arguing that our offense was explosive and productive last year -- despite the nugget from Steele -- is hard to fathom. We averaged 320 yards per game or, to put it another way, 9 fewer yards per game than we averaged in 2014 and 50+ yards fewer per game than in 2013. We did, somehow, manage to average more points last year than in those two years but we averaged 457 ypg in 2012 and put up 30 a game. Would Lester's offense have worked and put up better numbers with more experience this year? One would have to think so, but I'm not sure what we saw last year was anything other than mediocre offense at best.

billsin01 said:
I'm an option fan too, but arguing that our offense was explosive and productive last year -- despite the nugget from Steele -- is hard to fathom. We averaged 320 yards per game or, to put it another way, 9 fewer yards per game than we averaged in 2014 and 50+ yards fewer per game than in 2013. We did, somehow, manage to average more points last year than in those two years but we averaged 457 ypg in 2012 and put up 30 a game. Would Lester's offense have worked and put up better numbers with more experience this year? One would have to think so, but I'm not sure what we saw last year was anything other than mediocre offense at best.

Remember that in many scoring stats they add in all scores like special teams and defensive scores. We had a few more of those than we had in the past.

Yards per play can be a better metric.

Plus Swofford will tell the refs to give you all the calls because he hates NC State so much and wants them to lose every conference game. If you don't believe it, just ask their fans on PackPride, they'll tell you.
aliens.png

He's not a huzzah, he's a Ramrod, we fans let out the huzzahs when he was hired.

Get it right....

Remember that in many scoring stats they add in all scores like special teams and defensive scores. We had a few more of those than we had in the past.

Yards per play can be a better metric.
there was also an overtime game and a triple overtime game. The 3OT game, for instance, Syracuse ended up with 38 points, but the offense only scored 17 in regulation.

It's honestly amazing how Bud is a professional journalist. No hate, but I mean seriously. I laugh out loud everytime I read his writing.