P5 only Cuse vs Clemson YPP, It’s tighter than you think | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

P5 only Cuse vs Clemson YPP, It’s tighter than you think

36BBB0A2-7261-4769-A3AE-9475488D0EE3.jpeg

Tackle well, catch the balls thrown, win the turnover battle and keep the 2nd and 3rd and longs to a bare minimum on O.

Let's face it...both teams practice against the same type of QB each day. Tackling DJ on the first contact will be huge in this game.

Yep. The narrative this week is “what a cute story, too bad it has to end in Death Valley”

We’re better than that. Not sure we’ll win. But we’re better than a cute story.

Nobody here is saying we’re a “cute story”, you’re kind of creating a scenario that doesn’t exist. People are pointing out obvious advantages a top 5 team has over us, which isn’t extreme or going out on a limb at all. This is a discussion board after all.

The offensive line has been a concern for everyone on here….. wow, I’m surprised people are worried about it this game too. Our injuries are a concern, just like they have been the last couple legit games. Again, no surprise.

It’s okay to not go all RutgersAl and still be able to discuss concerns when playing a top 5 team at their place. Nobody has packed in it on this board that I’ve read.

Let’s not create narratives that don’t exist.

Are we the fan base that looks for more excuses to excuse our success than any other? Can we get out of our own way?
I'm sorry. Are facts not allowed here? They have played a tougher schedule than we have. That is a fact. Not an excuse. Look who they have played on the road. We have played UConn on the road.

I'm sorry. Are facts not allowed here? They have played a tougher schedule than we have. That is a fact. Not an excuse. Look who they have played on the road. We have played UConn on the road.
the only true game to compare is nc st and we gained more allowed less, scored more allowed less.

Factor in the qb being missing, but also add in that he ran for like 60 or the stats would look worse as well.. they had under 200 yds until the last drive when we were just trying to finish the game.

They have played a tougher schedule but nct st beat FSU without their QB playing most of the game as well

we have a shot, we might get smoked if we play poorly, but we might win if we play well. Thats all you can ask for.

I think Clemson is what they are this year.. I dont think we have played a solid game across the board yet, lets hope we see one this week.

the only true game to compare is nc st and we gained more allowed less, scored more allowed less.

Factor in the qb being missing, but also add in that he ran for like 60 or the stats would look worse as well.. they had under 200 yds until the last drive when we were just trying to finish the game.

They have played a tougher schedule but nct st beat FSU without their QB playing most of the game as well

we have a shot, we might get smoked if we play poorly, but we might win if we play well. Thats all you can ask for.
I think Leery played more than one half against FSU. And the only thing I said was that they have played a tougher schedule than we have. They have. I didn't say anything like we don't have a chance.

Nobody here is saying we’re a “cute story”, you’re kind of creating a scenario that doesn’t exist. People are pointing out obvious advantages a top 5 team has over us, which isn’t extreme or going out on a limb at all. This is a discussion board after all.

The offensive line has been a concern for everyone on here….. wow, I’m surprised people are worried about it this game too. Our injuries are a concern, just like they have been the last couple legit games. Again, no surprise.

It’s okay to not go all RutgersAl and still be able to discuss concerns when playing a top 5 team at their place. Nobody has packed in it on this board that I’ve read.

I don’t think he was talking about people on the board. I think he was talking about the media. And I’ve heard many similar things like that said by various media.

I haven't been concerned with the offensive line, particularly the pass protection. I think the run blocking scheme is an issue, but that's more on the coaches than the OL itself.

I haven't been concerned with the offensive line, particularly the pass protection. I think the run blocking scheme is an issue, but that's more on the coaches than the OL itself.

That’s a good point with the run blocking scheme.

Really dont understand what has changed in the run blocking that so few nice holes have been created.. But on the flip side the pass protection has been better m2m. Its been when teams really schemed the blitzes that things broke down.. NC st didnt do much to do that.. Clemson has the best collection of DL to make this a tough week.. The good thing is our passing schemes are much more sound to have guys open faster..

I think Clemson is what they are this year.. I dont think we have played a solid game across the board yet, lets hope we see one this week.
we’re entering Game 7. If we haven’t played a solid game yet, by your definition, it probably doesn’t exist in our portfolio.

This team needs to overachieve a bit to win Saturday and catch a few breaks. It’s not defeatist to think we can’t win straight up at their place.

Broke my "don't click un-ignore" rule and caught this.

As bees said - I was speaking to the national media and not the board. I think we've done a nice job of setting expectations around here, not that "we" need my validation. The prevailing thought "out there" in the media is that we are up against it and that we've been lucky. I get the pessimism from the media as we've done not a lot over 20+ years - but there's a lot more to the story here. Hopefully a win or a strong performance erodes some of that.

And for the 1 billionth time, that I *chose* to be an optimist does not mean I don't see the issues or mind talking about them at all. There's a reason I have you on ignore and it's nice to be reminded why.

Broke my "don't click un-ignore" rule and caught this.

As bees said - I was speaking to the national media and not the board. I think we've done a nice job of setting expectations around here, not that "we" need my validation. The prevailing thought "out there" in the media is that we are up against it and that we've been lucky. I get the pessimism from the media as we've done not a lot over 20+ years - but there's a lot more to the story here. Hopefully a win or a strong performance erodes some of that.

And for the 1 billionth time, that I *chose* to be an optimist does not mean I don't see the issues or mind talking about them at all. There's a reason I have you on ignore and it's nice to be reminded why.

Weird that you clicked “un-ignore” right when I replied to one of your posts for the first time since last year. But ok.

In fairness to the fair weather fan. People stopped following SU and just expect us to lose. What the team has done this year has been incredible and surprising to be undefeated at this point but not surprising to people on the board that this team is good. But the majority of SU fans have no idea this team was supposed to be decent b/c they stopped following religiously. So it’s not a huge surprise they still have the mentality that, “well this game we def won’t win that’s for sure”

We beat them when their starting QB was out, and almost beat them down there when their starting QB was out. In 2017 Kelly Bryant was already hobbling, but our DL (Chris Slayton) knocked him out of the game w/ a concussion. Our DL was imposing in 2017 with Slaton, Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman. Alton ended Pitt's QB Max Browne's career with a brutal (legal) sack in the Dome that year - the one year Dino has ever beat Pitt.

In 2017 Clemson redshirt freshman Zerrick Cooper played the second half at QB. In 2018, Trevor Lawrence was knocked out of the game early, and reserve Chase Brice finished the game. (I think he's at App State now).

We can't expect DJ Uiagalelei will be knocked out this time. But really, is DJ as good as their previous starting QBs? His game, development, size, and stats are eerily similar to Shrader. It would be sweet to beat them with their #1 QB playing.

Clemson's kicker is almost as good as Andre. I assume their punter is better than Max von Marburg.
WE took them out of the game...

We're going to need Shrader to be able to have a great throwing day. Another WR, or Tucker, will need to really excel in the passing game.

If we line up and try to punish them on the ground, they'll probably put up a stout defensive effort.

That's not where they are susceptible. We'll likely have to hit some big plays. Will definitely have to protect the ball and not have unforced penalties by the offense (meaning pre snap/at snap), and win specials.

IF we are to win this game, I'm not seeing it as a comeback, I'm seeing it as a first half where we're up like 17-3 and are up 1-0 in the TO battle (maybe they are gashing us on their first drive and Shipley fumbles or DJ tries to get cute and throws a bad pick) and the announcers are saying something like "Clemson should really be tied or up in this game, but Syracuse is up by two scores!", then the second half we do enough to hang on and end up winning like 24-17 or 27-24 with us closing the game on a killer INT thrown by DJ.

I do think their crowd will be out of it if the game starts falling all on DJ.

Our OL is ok. Not world beaters, not Bama or whatever, but they aren't bad. I think Shrader to Gadsen can hit a few times and I think Tucker in space and a few Cooper possession receptions early can make this feel like a fair fight vs an underdog story.

Last edited:
It’s not a revelation that Clemson is the better team. The better team doesn’t always win though. For us to win we’ll need to be on the plus side of turnovers, minimize penalties, hit a couple big plays on offense, and have a defensive or ST TD. Not impossible at all.

It’s not a revelation that Clemson is the better team. The better team doesn’t always win though. For us to win we’ll need to be on the plus side of turnovers, minimize penalties, hit a couple big plays on offense, and have a defensive or ST TD. Not impossible at all.
If Alford is ever going to be a big time receiver, with his size and speed, this is the game he needs to be that player.
If that were to happen then Clemson would be in trouble. That would prevent a double on OG and give us 4 options on every offensive play.

In years past I could see them coming out flat. We're 6-0 sitting atop the division. They will not come out flat. We'll need to play our best game to win this one. Just hope we keep it close going to the 4th. Give ourselves a chance.

Yah... and there seems to be a little craw (at least with some of their fans) on us taking out their QBs with perceived "cheap-shots" in recent games (hits on Lawrence and Deshaun Watson that sent them out the game)... at least I saw a couple posters mention it over on tigernet while perusing...

Not sure if that translates on the player side, but I doubt they'll come out flat.

They have played a much more difficult schedule than us. At Wake. At FSU. N.C. State with Leery.

You know, historically speaking, playing and beating Purdue, Louisville, NC State and Virginia is nothing to look down on.

You can only play the team of that season, and some of these programs may not be at their peak, but none of these programs are to be embarrassed about playing and beating.

My fear is that they play straight up smashmouth football on offense. NC State had some long drives on us. Clemson can do the same, only better. They might just run the ball 60 times for 300+ yards.

We can negate that if we score early and get some turnovers.

Somehow, I think that the fewer drives there are in this game, the better our chances of winning.