PAC-12 says it is not expanding now. Per CBS | Syracusefan.com

PAC-12 says it is not expanding now. Per CBS

TheOkieOrangeman

2nd String
11:45 est. Rumors about Missouri being offered an invite-SEC says not so. If posted before I apologize. Both articles are on CBS Sportsline.

That probably means the Big 12 no changes except A&M and still possibly Mo. Would likely try to add BYU and, if possible, maybe TCU.

The ACC probably will stay at 14 for now because they want the golden prize and unless 4 conferences go to 16 teams ND will stay independent.

The BE would remain as a league. SU and Pitt could be stuck with 27 months in the BE which would be awful. Think we should have waited???? I don't know.

Looks like the admin panicked and now SU and PITT will be seen as the poster children of greed.

4 Conferences will NEVER go to 16. A couple might. But it makes no sense for some, like the Big 10 and SEC, to dilute their current membership's rake. Adding a program in the state of Texas is one thing (A&M), but West Virginia, Missouri, Kansas, etc... doesn't move the needle. I think the SEC can live with a 13 team league. One division would just play 2 cross-over games as opposed to 3. For basketball, 12 vs. 13 is basically irrelevant.

If the BE stays resolved, 27 months seems likely. That's a long time to wait.

Exactly Poppy.

But in the long run for SU it probably will turn into a great move-I hope. I live in OK now and this mess-TAM, OU UT network and Beebe have created this mess. Sure it would be good for the Pac-12 to add OU and Texas-but they want to do it on their terms only.

If the PAC12 isn't adding anyone, if the Big12 isn't folding, if WV isn't going anywhere, if the Big10 didn't/doesn't want any BE school other than ND, and if the BE is/was too stupid/powerless to be proactive; then the ACC made a dumb move by taking Pitt and SU. Like UConn and Rutgers, Pitt and SU would always be available for ACC expansion - no need to do anything quickly or anything at all for that matter.

As far as Pitt's and SU's perspective is concerned, they did what they thought was right by joining the ACC. If they wanted to join, doesn't make a lot of sense to wait. I don't agree with what they did but...

Wow, listen to all this fatalism. Football drives expansion.

1) Other conferences have probably decided to defer expansion until the end of the football season

2) SU and Pitt going to the ACC is to the benefit of the Southern schools because they can go back to their league of nine in some shape if the conference is split into divisions

3) It's better to be a have than a have not

4) BC, Maryland, Pitt, a shot at ND/PSU vs Rutgers, USF, Villanova?

5) Give it a week or two... Press coverage is going to defer elsewhere

6) SU has a recruiting edge on all its former NE compatriots outside of Penn State

7) How about a legit east coast conference - this is real and secures all parties who make the cut.

Again, this is the right move. The ACC wanted Syracuse back in 2003. We fans need to stop looking at SU as a lesser program because the school never was. This will work business wise, and haters gonna hate, but they're not gonna miss Duke or UNC when they come to "The Loud House".

Going to the ACC is the right move regardless of whatever else happens or does not happen. Geez. We are stable for good now. So glad we got in. Staying in the BE was never a good option. Thank goodness we got in! Any other notion is insane.

If the PAC12 isn't adding anyone, if the Big12 isn't folding, if WV isn't going anywhere, if the Big10 didn't/doesn't want any BE school other than ND, and if the BE is/was too stupid/powerless to be proactive; then the ACC made a dumb move by taking Pitt and SU. Like UConn and Rutgers, Pitt and SU would always be available for ACC expansion - no need to do anything quickly or anything at all for that matter.

As far as Pitt's and SU's perspective is concerned, they did what they thought was right by joining the ACC. If they wanted to join, doesn't make a lot of sense to wait. I don't agree with what they did but...

My guess is that the ACC was receptive to adding two schools because they were afraid of losing Clemson and FSU to the SEC. I don't know, but I would assume that there is a 12 team stipulation in the ACC TV contract. If so, falling below 12 teams would cost the conference revenues because networks want the football championship games. The NCAA says that 12 teams are necessary to wage such a game. Thus, the ACC would expand to insure a 12 team football conference even if Clemson and FSU left.

The added benefit would be that it puts Notre Dame in play for the ACC. This outcome would have been totally impossible without the addition of SU and Pitt. The major conferences, Texas, and Notre Dame are essentially in a high stakes game of chicken. No more expansion is likely to take place until Notre Dame and/or Texas commits to a super conference.

The BE would remain as a league. SU and Pitt could be stuck with 27 months in the BE which would be awful. Think we should have waited???? I don't know.

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOT!!!

The opportunity presented itself and TGD rightfully went after it. Let their fans boo...27 month waiting period be dammed.

. I think the SEC can live with a 13 team league. One division would just play 2 cross-over games as opposed to 3.
That doesn't work. The East needs 6*3=18 crossover games. If the West only plays 2 crossover games per team you have 7*2=14 games. Hence, only 2 teams would play 3 crossover games. The other 4 would play one less conference game, unless they play one opponent in their division twice.

13 is a mess. They really need to get to 14.

That doesn't work. The East needs 6*3=18 crossover games. If the West only plays 2 crossover games per team you have 7*2=14 games. Hence, only 2 teams would play 3 crossover games. The other 4 would play one less conference game, unless they play one opponent in their division twice.

13 is a mess. They really need to get to 14.

I'm talking about football. Nobody cares about basketball, remember?

Looks like the admin panicked and now SU and PITT will be seen as the poster children of greed.

4 Conferences will NEVER go to 16. A couple might. But it makes no sense for some, like the Big 10 and SEC, to dilute their current membership's rake. Adding a program in the state of Texas is one thing (A&M), but West Virginia, Missouri, Kansas, etc... doesn't move the needle. I think the SEC can live with a 13 team league. One division would just play 2 cross-over games as opposed to 3. For basketball, 12 vs. 13 is basically irrelevant.

If the BE stays resolved, 27 months seems likely. That's a long time to wait.
oh come on.

acc with us and pitt is better at both sports, has better academics, and more lucrative

i think they'll be poster children for no brainer easy decisions

SU FB should be really good in two seasons with all the young guys who play. They make us stay and SU goes out w/a BCS run.