Pac 16 in motion... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pac 16 in motion...

If we were working on the TV climate of last year I would agree with you absolutely - the above collection of teams has more value. But your missing the fact that ESPN doesn't want to lose any programming that they have and at the same time NBC and FOX really really want to get into the college game. Between those 2 networks not only are they going to pay up for ANY conference but they are also going to force ESPN to pay more than they would typically pay in order to not lose college programming.

I'm not implying that a conference of some of the Big 12 teams is optimal but if it does indeed happen the BE is going to get a very hefty new TV contract when the time comes b/c of what is happening between the networks.

Syracuse
UConn
Rutgers
Pitt
West Virginia
USF
Louisville
Cincinnati
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Missouri

What part of that says "hefty TV package" to you?

The best shot SU has at a payday is seeing the SEC poach just enough teams out of the ACC to make them (1) needs teams to expand, while (2) not destroying the value of that conference. I'm hoping they take NC State and just one of Virginia Tech/Florida State.
What part of that says "hefty TV package" to you?
If the curren BE is holding out for a better TV contract right now, and the networks are as hungry for college FB as they say, what's not appealing about a conference with markets such as NYC, Tampa, DFW, St. Louis, KC, Pittsburgh, Cinci/L'ville, UCONN influenced Boston. And if it goes bigger, possibly Philly, if Nova's added, or Orlando, if UCF, somehow comes into the picture. I'm not saying saying a conference with this make-up corners these markets, but the big market potential is there to develop. and this is appealing to the networks. Also, if any combo of FSU, UMD, Cemson and/or VT leave the ACC, what TV appeal is left there, even with the best of the BE FB schools added? I don't think NC St to the SEC is even in the equation. To balance their eastern division, the SEC wants a brand name like, Fla St, or a new market, like VT or Clemson, with some appeal to the DC and Charlotte markets, not Raleigh.