Pace of play needs to be addressed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pace of play needs to be addressed

Review targeting after the game and suspend for a game if its bad. If it drew the flag it drew the flag 15 yards and keep playing. THere are at least 2 of those reviews in every game that is 5-6 minutes right there.

Shorten half time to 12 minutes like the NFL.

The reviews are ridiculous, the refs are going to find every angle to overturn a call, unlike MLB which seems to uphold them.

Injuries are what they are...

Shorten half time to 12 minutes like the NFL.

The reviews are ridiculous, the refs are going to find every angle to overturn a call, unlike MLB which seems to uphold them.

Injuries are what they are...
There was an athletic article about the increase yesterday. Band directors are adamant against cutting halftime….

Baseball is going to implement a pitch clock next year at the MLB level next year. It has been tested in the minors and based on that, this change is expected to decrease the length of games around 20-25 minutes.

So there is precedent for this. Or there will be next year. The networks will work to shorten games if it helps increase interest and viewership.

How to best do this?

The obvious answer is to shorten time outs. TV is the reason games have almost doubled in length in the last few decades. Or reduce the number of time outs. TV is going to have a problem with these ideas.

Maybe change the rules for how time is kept?

I suggest not stopping the clock after a first down except in the two 2 minutes or a half.

Maybe let the clock continue to run after incompletions except in the last 2 minutes of a half?

Maybe don’t stop the clock after a player goes OB except in the last 2 minutes of a half?

With all the passing and the advent of fast offenses, games probably average 50 or 60% more plays than they did 50 years ago. Changing the rules to let the clock run more will make the games more watchable. There are too many time outs and too many plays IMHO.

Make some or all of the changes to how the clock is managed and maybe cut the length of commercials back to 2 minutes and you will make games a lot more watchable and more people will tune in. It will end up as a win for ESPN, Fox and everyone else who televises games.

The review process has to lengthen games by 5-10 minutes. I think it is great calls can be reviewed. So many calls are wrong, the refs need help. But the extra time to get things right is a tough ask. And I think the calls are still wrong after review too often. I wish college football could be like MLB, where I think there is a central authority that does the reviews and does a great job making a timely call. This might not be possible for some levels of football but it should be doable for the P5 level games. Let’s make it happen.

Do all these things and I am confident we will see 3 hour games. We need to get there. ASAP.
agree with everything

Last night was the first time this year I felt the game dragged. There were 3-4 instances where we just got out of a 3 min commercial break (thanks ESPN primetime), and then an injury or review occurred. So a lot of bad luck

i think espn commercial breaks are longer than acc network. With all the injuries and reviews the 2nd half dragged
Without ESPN commercial timeouts, we won’t be on TV. I agree pace of play is an issue. Not measuring 1st downs anymore and relying on replay when they need to us an example of a positive step forward. (Think about the last time you can remember the chains coming out?). But we’re so far down the pecking list, we need whatever major tv we can get.

44cuse

There was an athletic article about the increase yesterday. Band directors are adamant against cutting halftime….
Saw that and the schools will never do it. Need to keep up the guise of the college scene.

Without ESPN commercial timeouts, we won’t be on TV. I agree pace of play is an issue. Not measuring 1st downs anymore and relying on replay when they need to us an example of a positive step forward. (Think about the last time you can remember the chains coming out?). But we’re so far down the pecking list, we need whatever major tv we can get.

44cuse
I was just saying the breaks are getting longer

Saw that and the schools will never do it. Need to keep up the guise of the college scene.
The band could get extra time before the game to make it up

Last night was the first time this year I felt the game dragged. There were 3-4 instances where we just got out of a 3 min commercial break (thanks ESPN primetime), and then an injury or review occurred. So a lot of bad luck
I was watching the Miami-MTSU game yesterday. Miami failed to score from the one yard line on the last play of the 3rd quarter. So, they had the usual 3:30 minute TV TO. When they came back, the officials instituted a review of the play, so they went to another commercial break (the play call was upheld). As soon as they lined up to run the next play, MTSU called a TO. It was such a stupid series of time wasting.
Why didn't they review the play during the quarter break?

My best guess is that they're just binge watching Netflix or the like because even completely obvious situations take far far too long.

I was watching the Miami-MTSU game yesterday. Miami failed to score from the one yard line on the last play of the 3rd quarter. So, they had the usual 3:30 minute TV TO. When they came back, the officials instituted a review of the play, so they went to another commercial break (the play call was upheld). As soon as they lined up to run the next play, MTSU called a TO. It was such a stupid series of time wasting.
Why didn't they review the play during the quarter break?

This - great example. Almost as long as an NFL halftime.

I was against the running clock for many years, probably because we were always behind and trying to catch up :) But I'm totally on board now. I love SU Football. There's very few things I'd rather do than watch our games. But even I was getting a bit anxious and tired last night with the length.
the running clock on first downs saves 1-2 min a guess. .

Review targeting after the game and suspend for a game if its bad. If it drew the flag it drew the flag 15 yards and keep playing. THere are at least 2 of those reviews in every game that is 5-6 minutes right there
If you get called for targetting, good or bad, you sit out until they review it and do that off line at the next break. having 10-15 min of stoppages every game to watch them say yea or nea is not good.. its about 50/50 right now anyway on what they will do. some players are gonna miss plays for it and come back but some wont.. just stop screwing up the flow of the game.

and why does the ref have to be the one to review.. Do that at the league office like NHL does. Leave the ref on the field watching the game. it would be less arbitrary.

I don’t mind the length of the games a bit. And I routinely go up into the 300s and don’t come back down until the game is over. But that’s just me. My 21 year old nephew had to make three trips up and down for food, drinks and bathroom. Kids!

The TV timeouts are too long.

I’m okay with all of the music as long as I get a good dose of the marching band. That’s traditional!

Frankly I hated the electric guitar segment more than just about anything. And that was probably supposed to appeal to people closer to my age. It was painful noise.

I don’t mind the length of the games a bit. And I routinely go up into the 300s and don’t come back down until the game is over. But that’s just me. My 21 year old nephew had to make three trips up and down for food, drinks and bathroom. Kids!

The TV timeouts are too long.

I’m okay with all of the music as long as I get a good dose of the marching band. That’s traditional!

Frankly I hated the electric guitar segment more than just about anything. And that was probably supposed to appeal to people closer to my age. It was painful noise.
the Guitar guy was good.. but not that i needed to hear multiple songs of that during a half time show..

I was planning on taking wife and kids (11 and 8) to this game. We had a late night wednesday with a crazy allergic reaction (benadryl fixed, no problem). Hemmed and hawed about whether to go. We bailed out because I dreaded having to leave early and having the kids flip out on me (which I would've also done) or drag both kids to the car at midnight when they'd be out of their minds.

Just one example, a little specific, but a four hour game is tough for lots of people in a lot of contexts. If I could've counted on 3 hrs, we're there

The ticket transfer is great - the tickets got used, I want people in those seats other than the assorted hobgoblins, cretins, and neerdowells in our section who make themselves very comfy there

I was just saying the breaks are getting longer
I know. Perhaps I didn’t say it as well as I could, but I meant I was agreeing with you and ultimately we just kind of have to accept it.

That said, I love College Football in general so the length of ga Ws has never bothered me as it seems it might bother others here.

44cuse

I know. Perhaps I didn’t say it as well as I could, but I meant I was agreeing with you and ultimately we just kind of have to accept it.

That said, I love College Football in general so the length of ga Ws has never bothered me as it seems it might bother others here.

44cuse
its a factor with those on the fence of going or not as its not basketball where its 2 to 2.5 hours

Casual football fan here….took my wife, son (16) and daughter (21)….there was zero flow to the game and it drove me crazy. But those were the least of the problems….I haven’t been to a football game in 10 years and here’s what I would offer as a reason for why I may not go again for awhile….the audio was horrible in 119….couldn’t hear anything…..the alcohol policy is silly…you have folks getting 4 quarters of booze into 2 quarters and as a result I had my wife getting beer spilt all over from the drunk jerk behind her and the same jerk hit on my daughter numerous times.

Anyways…the dome upgrades are great and I am very happy that the team is doing well….you diehards deserve that.

Casual football fan here….took my wife, son (16) and daughter (21)….there was zero flow to the game and it drove me crazy. But those were the least of the problems….I haven’t been to a football game in 10 years and here’s what I would offer as a reason for why I may not go again for awhile….the audio was horrible in 119….couldn’t hear anything…..the alcohol policy is silly…you have folks getting 4 quarters of booze into 2 quarters and as a result I had my wife getting beer spilt all over from the drunk jerk behind her and the same jerk hit on my daughter numerous times.

Anyways…the dome upgrades are great and I am very happy that the team is doing well….you diehards deserve that.
The booze policy is what it is, but my tolerance as I get older is none. Guy next to me was drunk. Stood in the aisle and was too drunk to get out of way when people walked by. Got nachos and spilled his salsa all over the woman in front of him. No sorry just kept eating and staggering and blocking the aisle. I love my booze too but some folks ...ruin the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom