pack it in? | Syracusefan.com

pack it in?

B

BillSU

The comments below do not sound like someone who is going to pack it in. If my friend JB retires anytime soon I’ll be very surprised. Hop has a big problem managing the rotation of this group. If JB were there we would not have the record we do IMO.

"I'm not a fan, I'm a coach," Boeheim said, when asked whether he'd consider watching the games in public. "I wouldn't want to sit and watch with anyone else. It's a very painful experience, and I don't feel like sharing my painful experiences with anybody. And I don't think anyone would want to be around me. This is my life, my professional life. It's obviously a very difficult time."

"It's not fun watching your team not play well, and you can't do anything about it," Boeheim said. "We knew this team needed a lot of nurturing. It's not a set team in any way, shape or form. We have a lot of moving parts, have guys who have been very inconsistent. It's tough to watch that and not be able to do something about it. It is what it is but it's a very painful experience, I certainly wouldn't want to share that with anyone else."

Boeheim praised Mike Gbinije during his radio appearance in addition to freshman Tyler Lydon, who the coach said "has been as good as we could hope." Boeheim also praised Trevor Cooney's defense.

The head coach said Syracuse's 3-point defense needs to improve, but he believes its biggest issue in losses has been its 3-point shooting. When the
Orange has hit for a high percentage, the team has won. When it hasn't, Syracuse has lost.

I have this idea that the completely external view of the team JB gets during this suspension may actually prove very valuable to the team long term. I have read that he doesn't watch film after games. Whether that is true or not, this experience is still vastly different. He may come back with kinds of unique perspectives on how to improve the team that he has not thought of before.

I have this idea that the completely external view of the team JB gets during this suspension may actually prove very valuable to the team long term. I have read that he doesn't watch film after games. Whether that is true or not, this experience is still vastly different. He may come back with kinds of unique perspectives on how to improve the team that he has not thought of before.
have thought of this too. I feel like this offers him a unique perspective and he'll come back in early January with the ultimate JB elixir. will be really interesting when he returns

The comments below do not sound like someone who is going to pack it in. If my friend JB retires anytime soon I’ll be very surprised. Hop has a big problem managing the rotation of this group. If JB were there we would not have the record we do IMO.

"I'm not a fan, I'm a coach," Boeheim said, when asked whether he'd consider watching the games in public. "I wouldn't want to sit and watch with anyone else. It's a very painful experience, and I don't feel like sharing my painful experiences with anybody. And I don't think anyone would want to be around me. This is my life, my professional life. It's obviously a very difficult time."

"It's not fun watching your team not play well, and you can't do anything about it," Boeheim said. "We knew this team needed a lot of nurturing. It's not a set team in any way, shape or form. We have a lot of moving parts, have guys who have been very inconsistent. It's tough to watch that and not be able to do something about it. It is what it is but it's a very painful experience, I certainly wouldn't want to share that with anyone else."

Boeheim praised Mike Gbinije during his radio appearance in addition to freshman Tyler Lydon, who the coach said "has been as good as we could hope." Boeheim also praised Trevor Cooney's defense.

The head coach said Syracuse's 3-point defense needs to improve, but he believes its biggest issue in losses has been its 3-point shooting. When the
Orange has hit for a high percentage, the team has won. When it hasn't, Syracuse has lost.

I highly highly doubt JB goes 3-0.

Nothing revolutionary in there one bit. Praising Cooney's defense was a bit questionable imo.

that last sentence is also obvious.

sure seems like it's pretty set to me.
I think JB meant several of the keys players are not fully developed at this point.

Jb and the coaches have been more optimistic on the season this year than the fanbase has, and really more optimistic than they were at any point last season.

I think JB meant several of the keys players are not fully developed at this point.

Freshman rarely are, I agree there.

As for Cooney, G, Roberson... what further development do we see them getting? Coleman has opportunity given his lack of playing time last few years, but I am still a firm believer he was way overhyped out of high school. Roberson, imo, has the more room here to improve throughout the year. Obviously, G is already playing at an extremely high level and Cooney is who everyone knows he is.

Boeheim also praised Trevor Cooney's defense.

I have no idea what Jimmy is seeing that I'm not. Honestly. I would love to watch the game film with him to get his perspective.

Freshman rarely are, I agree there.

As for Cooney, G, Roberson... what further development do we see them getting? Coleman has opportunity given his lack of playing time last few years, but I am still a firm believer he was way overhyped out of high school. Roberson, imo, has the more room here to improve throughout the year. Obviously, G is already playing at an extremely high level and Cooney is who everyone knows he is.
Roberson hasn't played to the level he reached in conference after McCullough was lost last season. There is no reason he cannot again be a consistently good rebounder and contribute more offensively.

Coleman still has room to grow and at the very least could provide more than 15 minutes per game.

Lydon could grow into a bigger offensive role, particularly if fewer of his minutes are at the 5.

Richardson could certainly provide more efficient and consistent offense, and improve as a defender.

Howard and/or Joseph could develop into viable backcourt options capable of spelling Gbinije and Cooney for a few extra minutes a game.

How much of their flat play is attributable to the hard nosed, ass-riding HOF coach not being around the team? Someone has to push them to their peak levels of play. I think there is some of this at work here. If there is not an external motivator around to kick these guys in the ass when needed, they had better be pretty self motivated to dig a little deeper. TRob is a prime example of a low motor who may respond best to an external force. I think JB is underrated as a motivator, despite his dour demeanor.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Jimmy is seeing that I'm not. Honestly. I would love to watch the game film with him to get his perspective.

I'd like to watch Boeheim's facial expression when the 6'10" guy crossed Cooney over in the open court and scored as if he was in a layup line.

I'd like to watch Boeheim's facial expression when the 6'10" guy crossed Cooney over in the open court and scored as if he was in a layup line.
If it's the play I'm thinking of, I thought he traveled (2 steps after he picked up his dribble). I was screaming at the TV "This isn't the NBA!"

If it's the play I'm thinking of, I thought he traveled (2 steps after he picked up his dribble). I was screaming at the TV "This isn't the NBA!"

I didn't catch a replay, but that's believable. A lot of steps taken these days.

I have read that he doesn't watch film after games. Whether that is true or not, this experience is still vastly different. He may come back with kinds of unique perspectives on how to improve the team that he has not thought of before.

That's very interesting.

• Doesnt watch post game film, so his perspective is always just what he sees from the bench. One angle. No replays. No slomo. It's just about his initial perceptions. Which are often wrong, if we go by the frequency with which he protests calls incorrectly.
• No game day shootaround.
• Much thinner offensive playbook than other teams, because our kids can't remember many plays.
• We (until very recently) use to practice mostly man defense, yet played only zone in games.

Any other 'oddities?'

If JB changed any/all of these things, would we have won more or fewer games?

JB doesn't have a problem managing the rotation... because he doesn't have a rotation.

Hopkins has a Rotation. JB has Punitive Substitutions. I prefer the former, in theory, but in any given instance, who knows what we actually needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom