Paper indicates Hilliard is a drop out at Millford | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Paper indicates Hilliard is a drop out at Millford

He wasn't one of Marrone's players, he was a GRob recruit - matter of fact he "committed" on an offer GRob made after GRob was fired and there was no coach. Did anyone actually accept his commitment?

thats really neither here nor there...

like i said, iirc i was the 1 who basically told the kid the scholorship wasnt being honored over a message board and with no affiliation to the university but i had known about it.

imo, you shouldnt commit to a school when there isnt a coach... but if you do - the hired coach should at least make the phone call. it was well documented that marrone never did (i believe a low assistant did).

like i said, iirc i was the 1 who basically told the kid the scholorship wasnt being honored over a message board and with no affiliation to the university but i had known about it.

imo, you shouldnt commit to a school when there isnt a coach... but if you do - the hired coach should at least make the phone call. it was well documented that marrone never did (i believe a low assistant did).
oh well, tough twinkies. does the ceo of a company talk directly to someone that didn't get a position after an interview?

I think the question is, how did he commit to SU? Who did he notify? I honestly don't blame Marrone for not calling the kid himself, it was a very peculiar situation and god knows he had ALOT of work to get started on.

Pretty sure we offered to honor his scholie but not at QB. Was being looked at as a DB if he still wanted to come here which he declined.

oh well, tough twinkies. does the ceo of a company talk directly to someone that didn't get a position after an interview?

again... i dont really care about that situation all that much. i think the kid went to walk on at NIU, for Jerry Kill.

I was only responding to "marrone doesnt have a history of 'abandoning' players." thats all.

again... i dont really care about that situation all that much. i think the kid went to walk on at NIU, for Jerry Kill.

I was only responding to "marrone doesnt have a history of 'abandoning' players." thats all.

When I make a comment that Marrone doesn't have a history of abandoning HIS players, and you bring up a player that wasn't one of HIS players, then it is relevant.

And again this gets back to personal responsibility - you can't possibly make an argument that it's responsible to commit to a program when there isn't a head coach to ACCEPT your commitment.

Pretty sure we offered to honor his scholie but not at QB. Was being looked at as a DB if he still wanted to come here which he declined.
Just did a quick google search on Barnas. He played QB in JUCO, then walked-on at Northern Illinois. As a defensive back.

When I make a comment that Marrone doesn't have a history of abandoning HIS players, and you bring up a player that wasn't one of HIS players, then it is relevant.

That's fine. I don't need to argue or debate. This is just going in circles and I really don't care.

And again this gets back to personal responsibility - you can't possibly make an argument that it's responsible to commit to a program when there isn't a head coach to ACCEPT your commitment.

iirc, he had said he wasnt going to commit until after the season ended. and whatever assistant that was recruiting him kept recruiting him after grob was canned.

again - im not defending the kid. i dont care nor really agree with him. i just think he and his coach felt 'abandoned' when the schollie was pulled.

just for argument sake... what would have been the difference if he committed back in august when GROB was still there like they originally thought he would? Then Marrone definitely should have had the conversation with him, right?

iirc, he had said he wasnt going to commit until after the season ended. and whatever assistant that was recruiting him kept recruiting him after grob was canned.

again - im not defending the kid. i dont care nor really agree with him. i just think he and his coach felt 'abandoned' when the schollie was pulled.

just for argument sake... what would have been the difference if he committed back in august when GROB was still there like they originally thought he would? Then Marrone definitely should have had the conversation with him, right?

If you really don't care and you don't even agree with him - why are you bringing him up as an example? If he was committed to GRob - then yes someone should have followed up with him, like they did with Raheem Cardwell and Leavander Jones. But it's irrelevant because he never commited to a head coach.

I understand his point about this part only. The kid was under the impression (right or wrong) that he was being recruited by Marrone since his recruiter was retained by Marrone for at least the first few months (as I remember) that Marrone was hired. So in this kids mind he's still being pursued by the new coaching staff because his recruiter who works for the new staff is still contacting him. That is in fact what happened. Now, with all the HCDM was working on at the time he may have never known the kid was still being pursued. So when it was realized that's what was happening he made the recruiter contact the kid, as he should have, he was the one talking to the kid. This is sh!tty for the kid but these things happen, at least he made it to college and ended up playing football.

Wait a second, wouldn't Marrone have some kind of obligation to the kid to have abandoned him? The kid accepted an offer that didn't exist, there was no obligation.

There wasn't an offer to pull. You're basing a history of behavior on an event that isn't at all applicable.

Wait a second, wouldn't Marrone have some kind of obligation to the kid to have abandoned him? The kid accepted an offer that didn't exist, there was no obligation.
Agreed and im sure Doug was aware of the situation and im also sure that the kid was as well. Doug is known as an excellant straight down the middle communicator. Im sure he handled the situation well

im not sure your point. but you are misinformed.

the previous coaching staff offered him.
he said he was waiting until after his season.
grob was fired
an asst coach continued his recruitment after grob was fired.
he committed after his season.
marrone was hired.
his scholorship was pulled.

im done arguing any point of what marrone could have or should have done. frankly, i couldnt care less. but the points above are facts and cant be disputed. i am pretty sure they are all public facts as well.

i have no clue what you are trying to prove or point out in your last 2 posts.

Agreed and im sure Doug was aware of the situation and im also sure that the kid was as well. Doug is known as an excellant straight down the middle communicator. Im sure he handled the situation well

this is exactly my point. is this kid and his family and coaching staff completely disagree 100% with this. they 'felt abandoned'

just google garrett barnas syracuse scholorship pulled. and you can see his side.

again - i dont care what marrone could have or should have done. but according to barnas and his coach, he didnt handle the situation well at all.

this is exactly my point. is this kid and his family and coaching staff completely disagree 100% with this. they 'felt abandoned'
[/quote]

For someone who claims they don't care, you are doing a pretty repetitive job of trying to twist Barnas' situation into being a previous pattern of behavior by Marrone and his Staff.

Was Barnas a Marrone recruit? NO. He was recruited by GRob and GRob's staff.

Did Barnas commit to Marrone or Marrone's staff? NO. He committed (supposedly) to a staff member of GRob's after GRob was fired. Matter of fact - was it ever documented who in fact he committed to? I've seen the reports of him committing, but who did he commit to?

If you want to make the claim that Syracuse, as a program, has a history over the past 4 years of abandoning recruits and pulling offers, and Garret Barnas is your shining example of that pattern - be my guest. At least in that case, you'd have an incredibly weak argument, but it would be based on some factual evidence.

In this case, you have no argument, because the original statement was that Marrone and his Staff don't have a history of abandoning their players. And they don't.

For someone who claims they don't care, you are doing a pretty repetitive job of trying to twist Barnas' situation into being a previous pattern of behavior by Marrone and his Staff.

Was Barnas a Marrone recruit? NO. He was recruited by GRob and GRob's staff.

Did Barnas commit to Marrone or Marrone's staff? NO. He committed (supposedly) to a staff member of GRob's after GRob was fired. Matter of fact - was it ever documented who in fact he committed to? I've seen the reports of him committing, but who did he commit to?

If you want to make the claim that Syracuse, as a program, has a history over the past 4 years of abandoning recruits and pulling offers, and Garret Barnas is your shining example of that pattern - be my guest. At least in that case, you'd have an incredibly weak argument, but it would be based on some factual evidence.

In this case, you have no argument, because the original statement was that Marrone and his Staff don't have a history of abandoning their players. And they don't. [/quote]Actually Hilliard wasn't his player.When a kid doesn't get on campus for whatever reason regardless of his later intent the responsibility is zero on the part of the coaches unless they feel that contact can be of help to them or the kid. If Hilliard had a problem,I'm sure he had access to a phone or the internet an e-mail. If he communicated a problem and that was ignored then and only then does the responsibility fall back on to Doug and his assistants.I prsume that didn't happen,so trying to nail Doug is an indirect attempt to get to him using this BS incident.

@OrangeFizz: Caught up w/ Myles Hilliard today. Says he will be enrolling at Notre Dame College in Ohio. Division II, just minutes from hometown, Bedford