Paqcuio/thurmana | Syracusefan.com

Paqcuio/thurmana

Briancuse

Living Legend
anyoneone into the fight tonight? Not sure I'll plop 75 bucks on it but will try to catch a stream.

Terrific fight. Through the early rounds, Pacquiao dominated, even knocking Thurman down in the first round. he was quicker, had better lateral movement, quicker hands and punched from angles Thurman had never seen. In the second half, Manny seemed to slow down, picking his spots for flurries while Thurman persevered, throwing his jab and the right hand behind it with an occasional left hook. The crowd was totally pro-Pacquiao, oooing and aahhing with every punch. Thurman actually blocked most of them but far from all of them. And he clearly felt it more when the punches landed, especially a body shot in the 19th round that caused Thurman to spit out his mouthpiece. But the punch stats increasingly favored Thurman as the fight progressed. He wound up ahead 210-195 in punches landed. But Manny would flurry every time it seemed he might be using a round.

One judge had it 114-113 for Thurman. The other two had it 115-112 for Pacquiao. I don't mind giving 10-10 rounds, (I want the decision based on the rounds that were more clearly won), and had it 117-112 for Manny, who I still think should be retiring to focus on his career as a Philippine Senator. But he'll probably wind up being matched with Crawford or Spence next, (the two guys I think are the best fighters in boxing right now). Thurman will remain a contender and could wind up fighting those guys, too, but I think he's a notch below elite. In the early rounds of this one, when the bout was basically decided, Keith looked like a very good fighter in the ring with an all-time great who still had it - at least long enough to build up a lead he never lost.

Last edited:
especially a body shot in the 19th round that caused Thurman to spit out his mouthpiece
That was very surprising to me, shows how well placed Manny's punches were. Speed kills, and Manny had that and lateral movement in bunches until the later rounds. Thurman's reactions and punches seemed so slow, a terrible matchup for him style wise. I was mostly interested in Thurman's performance as far as this fight was concerned, to see if he had what it takes besides 'one time' relying on his hard punches. I'm kinda over Pacq to be honest, but he came to fight with a good plan tonight. The division is crowded, and while Thurman will get some more chances, he got knocked a big peg down last night as far as shaping the division goes.

I was frustrated with the Fox broadcast, didn't like anything about it really. And they need to start reigning that start time in for the main event. After almost falling asleep with the previous terrible fight, it was a real struggle just to make it. I wish they would've had Teofimo Lopez fight in that slot, instead of fighting Friday night, even though he struggled big time in his fight.

That was very surprising to me, shows how well placed Manny's punches were. Speed kills, and Manny had that and lateral movement in bunches until the later rounds. Thurman's reactions and punches seemed so slow, a terrible matchup for him style wise. I was mostly interested in Thurman's performance as far as this fight was concerned, to see if he had what it takes besides 'one time' relying on his hard punches. I'm kinda over Pacq to be honest, but he came to fight with a good plan tonight. The division is crowded, and while Thurman will get some more chances, he got knocked a big peg down last night as far as shaping the division goes.

I was frustrated with the Fox broadcast, didn't like anything about it really. And they need to start reigning that start time in for the main event. After almost falling asleep with the previous terrible fight, it was a real struggle just to make it. I wish they would've had Teofimo Lopez fight in that slot, instead of fighting Friday night, even though he struggled big time in his fight.

Same complaints. The Fox broadcast is such garbage compared to the standard that HBO set for 20 years. I did end up falling asleep, somewhere around rd 5 until rd 10. Too old to last until a midnight start.

Same complaints. The Fox broadcast is such garbage compared to the standard that HBO set for 20 years. I did end up falling asleep, somewhere around rd 5 until rd 10. Too old to last until a midnight start.

I miss Jim Lampley. He stayed relatively calm and talked about the fighters as human beings, not just competitors. The Fox guy tends to holler into the mike. There are also too many talking heads.

Last edited:
I miss Jim Lampley. He stayed relatively calm and talked about the fighters as human beings, not just competitors. The Fox guy tends to holler into the Mike. There are also too many talking heads.

I can't enjoy boxing without Harold Lederman giving me his update every 2 or 3 rounds with the OK JIM to start it. Then need Larry Merchant being a dry, slow talking butthole to guys in the post-fight interview.

Kenny Albert reminds me of Stevie Janowski from Eastbound and Down every time the camera cuts to him.

I can't enjoy boxing without Harold Lederman giving me his update every 2 or 3 rounds with the OK JIM to start it.
This is absolutely one of my favorite things all time in boxing. I can get some laughs of my own mocking the 'OK Jim!' especially when I use it randomly.

anyoneone into the fight tonight? Not sure I'll plop 75 bucks on it but will try to catch a stream.

I will illegally stream UFC or boxing until I go to jail for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom