Part of the reason I'm thrilled with 4-4 is because of how bad I think we would've been w/out Babers | Syracusefan.com

Part of the reason I'm thrilled with 4-4 is because of how bad I think we would've been w/out Babers

Millhouse

Living Legend
I'm not trying to slam Lester or Shafer or anyone. I just think that their approach would've been a horrific fit with these backs and both sides of the line. I think we would've sacrificed the passing game somewhat to get hybrid carries.

It's not to say the old approach was wrong (even though it was wrong) , it just wouldn't have worked at all and we'd be looking at two wins all year IMO

The learning year where you take your lumps is an improvement over what would've otherwise happened IMO

I can't imagine how this will be when a running game gets going and Dungey is more comfortable scanning the field due to more time to pass. Almost had 4 guys with 100 yards yesterday.

It would be a lot harder to watch. That is for sure. But we might have the same record. I still think we beat Colgate and BC with Shafer. I think we lose to VA Tech pretty badly but we beat Wake. UConn would be a question mark. So IMO we have 3-4 wins with Shafer. But it would be a paint drying 3-4 wins.

It would be a lot harder to watch. That is for sure. But we might have the same record. I still think we beat Colgate and BC with Shafer. I think we lose to VA Tech pretty badly but we beat Wake. UConn would be a question mark. So IMO we have 3-4 wins with Shafer. But it would be a paint drying 3-4 wins.
I think however many wins they'd have by this point would be all they'd get for the year. I think we will win at least one more this year

I think with Shafer we are 2-6 or 3-5 right now.
Amba Etta-Tawu's play making was the difference on offense against UConn. We couldn't run the ball well on them. I like we lose at UConn.

I don't see the D doing any better against Wake with SS. We lost this game because we couldn't throw because of the weather. We lose that game most likely.

We lose to VPI as well as that was our best team all around performance since the 2013 Pinstripe Bowl against WVU.

Babers has us where I thought we would be after 8 games and going in the right direction. I had us beating Wake and losing to VPI though.

I think with Shafer we are 2-6 or 3-5 right now.
Amba Etta-Tawu's play making was the difference on offense against UConn. We couldn't run the ball well on them. I like we lose at UConn.

I don't see the D doing any better against Wake with SS. We lost this game because we couldn't throw because of the weather. We lose that game most likely.

We lose to VPI as well as that was our best team all around performance since the 2013 Pinstripe Bowl against WVU.

Babers has us where I thought we would be after 8 games and going in the right direction. I had us beating Wake and losing to VPI though.

We don't even have AET if Shafer is still the coach ...

I really appreciate having something different to discuss about this team ... not the least of which is all the great play we're already seeing and our finding out how great a person Babers can be for our players.

Also, HCSS and Marrone and Greggers were all trying to figure it out. Babers arrived with it already figured out. It is such a relief not to have that discussion.

I'm not trying to slam Lester or Shafer or anyone. I just think that their approach would've been a horrific fit with these backs and both sides of the line. I think we would've sacrificed the passing game somewhat to get hybrid carries.

It's not to say the old approach was wrong (even though it was wrong) , it just wouldn't have worked at all and we'd be looking at two wins all year IMO

The learning year where you take your lumps is an improvement over what would've otherwise happened IMO

At least you didn't slam Shafer and Lester.

Hard to say how much better the Shafer team would be (compared to 2015). Give him a healthy soph Dungey at QB, improvement from the 3 returning WRs, Fredericks as the prime RB, and let him use the TEs as receivers. It would be better than 2015, right?

Still, our offense is even better because of AET, and the defense has benefitted from true frosh DL brought in by Babers. And Babers is a heck of motivator.

The biggest positive is the talent upgrade. No offense to any Shafer 2016 commits or their parents, but the majority were not ACC quality.