Party outside Duke game - increasing attendance for SU FB games? | Syracusefan.com

Party outside Duke game - increasing attendance for SU FB games?

chakka3421

All Conference
One thing I noticed was the immense party outside Cameron by the students on Sat - went on all day long. Beer pong, basketball hoop shooting, tent city, DJs everywhere, etc - seems like Duke U admin turns a blind eye on game day. We really can't do that for basketball because of weather but why not for football. Heck have a concert to kick things off 2 hours (for 1 hour) pre-game just to get students & fans up to Dome early. Seems like a "wasted" opportunity for SU to support its football program.

There are concerts on the Quad pre game.

The Quad stuff is more geared towards families and alumni. Students go to house parties or frats to get blitzed before games.

The Quad stuff is more geared towards families and alumni. Students go to house parties or frats to get blitzed before games.

but only like 5% of the students go to games.

Yes I know I've been going a long time - it was way way different at Duke. Everything was run by student body and beer was free flowing - I saw 2 SU students participating in beer pong against Dukies - very funny and I could tell everyone was having a great time.

Very very unlike SU. Plus it's all about money and corporate sponsorships at SU - versus being student run and fun at Duke.

It's a great idea, but SU's not down with it. Liability concerns.

Most SU students are too young to drink legally. The University cannot be complicit with event making alcohol available to minors.

Most SU students are too young to drink legally. The University cannot be complicit with event making alcohol available to minors.
They've given away beer at Mayfest the last 4 or 5 years, I'm sure some kids have gotten in illegally.

It's not about giving out alcohol, it's about relaxing open container rules. That was one of the main things I noticed walking around USC's campus on that trip, almost everyone had an open beer and a cooler.

It's not about giving out alcohol, it's about relaxing open container rules. That was one of the main things I noticed walking around USC's campus on that trip, almost everyone had an open beer and a cooler.
I've been drinking on the quad for years before games. Never had an issue

I've been drinking on the quad for years before games. Never had an issue
Exactly! Open container rules? Holy crap. I've been waling around that campus on game-day with an open beer for 30 years. How much looser can it be?

Open container laws are not enforced on gameday at SU. I fist pound 2 different cops with my open Blue Light on the way to the dome every Saturday.

But the posters above are right about not wanting it to get too crazy on the quad. Remember, all these other schools that "sponsor" alcohol events prior to the game, don't allow beer inside. We do allow beer inside, so we aren't going to be a part of encouraging it pregame too.

Been down a few times to root against the Ole' Miss, but I have to admit it is impressive.

Exactly! Open container rules? Holy crap. I've been waling around that campus on game-day with an open beer for 30 years. How much looser can it be?

I always enjoy seeing the growing pile of empties and partially empty cans outside Gate N on game day. You can bring 'em, but security won't let you inside with 'em. Yeah, that open container law is strictly enforced...
:rolling:

I always enjoy seeing the growing pile of empties and partially empty cans outside Gate N on game day. You can bring 'em, but security won't let you inside with 'em. Yeah, that open container law is strictly enforced...
:rolling:
In all seriousness, they do need more trash cans near the entrances.

This whole thread makes me miss the Walnut Park block party. I only got to experience one of them, it's last year in 1992.

The youngsters probably think the 90s were a free for all, alcohol everywhere no matter the age, yay! But the crackdowns began in the early 90s. Now the 80s, from what I hear, that was a free for all.

God I'm old.

This whole thread makes me miss the Walnut Park block party. I only got to experience one of them, it's last year in 1992.

The youngsters probably think the 90s were a free for all, alcohol everywhere no matter the age, yay! But the crackdowns began in the early 90s. Now the 80s, from what I hear, that was a free for all.

God I'm old.
Not the same thing you are referring to but I used to "tailgate" with my friends at Walnut Park in the 80s before football games. Not too elaborate... a small grill for cooking hot dogs and a Matt's beer ball. It did the trick. The drinking age was not 21 until after I turned 21 so from age 18+, I was always legal. We'd start at about 10 a.m. and after the game close out Sutters.

Not the same thing you are referring to but I used to "tailgate" with my friends at Walnut Park in the 80s before football games. Not too elaborate... a small grill for cooking hot dogs and a Matt's beer ball. It did the trick. The drinking age was not 21 until after I turned 21 so from age 18+, I was always legal. We'd start at about 10 a.m. and after the game close out Sutters.
Beer balls!