Pass defense reasons for hope | Syracusefan.com

Pass defense reasons for hope

GoSU96

Living Legend
Some interesting items. Yes they are 124th in yards allowed per game, and yes yards per catch is through the roof, there is hope.

Some of it is raw attempts against, 5th most. There are things they are doing well, 14th in completion percentage against, all four games sub 56%; t-5th in INTs,, 51st in rating.

I suspect the problems are tied to being in a heavy percentage of 2nd and 3rd and mediums. 5 of 8 tds are on second down.

And while they are still giving up to many yards the percentage of long tds is way down. 6 of 8 are red zone. The three years prior it has been 9 of 20, 13 of 19, and 11 of 20 outside the redzone.

Key is to create a higher percentage of favorable 2nd and 3rd downs. That’s what’s missing right now.

Some interesting items. Yes they are 124th in yards allowed per game, and yes yards per catch is through the roof, there is hope.

Some of it is raw attempts against, 5th most. There are things they are doing well, 14th in completion percentage against, all four games sub 56%; t-5th in INTs,, 51st in rating.

I suspect the problems are tied to being in a heavy percentage of 2nd and 3rd and mediums. 5 of 8 tds are on second down.

And while they are still giving up to many yards the percentage of long tds is way down. 6 of 8 are red zone. The three years prior it has been 9 of 20, 13 of 19, and 11 of 20 outside the redzone.

Key is to create a higher percentage of favorable 2nd and 3rd downs. That’s what’s missing right now.
Agree. They're not shooting for perfection, get enough stops and turnovers (turnovers is where I am unconvinced), live with some big plays against, and depend on your offense to score more.

to me the big thing is our m2m D has actually been pretty solid when in press coverage. Some of the biggest gains have been really good catches or throws and not guys running wide open.

our zone D can get better, only armstrong has really seen that much time in live game action. the injuries the last 2 weeks moved guys around a bunch .

week 2 vs maryland was really about confusion on many of the plays.

as Dino says they need some push up the middle, the DEs can only do so much with the quick throws. I am not sure we use enough deception pre-post snap with our coverages but thats a coaching x-o you need better angles to really see.

I think we aren’t doing the little things enough. We have talent in back half and it’s up in the air if we are putting them in right spots to win or not but dumb stuff like after the 5 crossing pattern te ran why wouldn’t we chip him at line to throw off his routes and timing with qb. Damn that kid was all over the field and we did nothing. Maybe we are close but these 600 yd games can’t happen anymore. Let’s get better and win some damn games now. Prove me wrong for the love of god.

It's the run defense that really scares me. And that will lead to worse pass defense (downs and distances, as you said).

McKinley's return would help, but I don't know how much. I know he can re-enact Mary Lou Retton's floor exercise from the 1984 Olympics, but he was also replaced in the starting lineup by Josh Black the latter half of last year.

We just have to take better angles and tackle better. Back to the basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom