Past two hires | Syracusefan.com

Past two hires

UGHV

2023 Cali Award Tackles for Loss
Does anyone have information on how the past two hires went down? (Gerg and Marrone) Who were the hot candidates? Who was interviewed? Were they our first choices both times?

It's been discussed here ad nauseam over the years.

I don't really remember much about the Robinson hire with regard to who else was interviewed, but Marrone wasn't the first choice. We went to at least two people first, if I'm not mistaken, including Skip Holtz.

I can't remember. I know he was a top choice. Can't recall if he ever got an offer.
I seem to remember that he asked for more than we were willing to pay.

UGHV said:
Does anyone have information on how the past two hires went down? (Gerg and Marrone) Who were the hot candidates? Who was interviewed? Were they our first choices both times?

Grob was one of 4 interviewed that had NFL defense experience. Robinson, Gray, Henderson and Lewis.

Marrone was chosen at the urging of Coach Mac and a few others after Edsall and Skip Holtz turned us down.

i heard that Bo Pelini wanted the job back when GRob was hired. I also heard there was someone we didn't interview who wanted the job that send his resume to the good doctor. He is now a super bowl winning coach

Grob was one of 4 interviewed that had NFL defense experience. Robinson, Gray, Henderson and Lewis.

Marrone was chosen at the urging of Coach Mac and a few others after Edsall and Skip Holtz turned us down.

I wonder why

HeaterCuse22 said:
I wonder why

You'd have to ask them. It wasn't money.

i heard that Bo Pelini wanted the job back when GRob was hired. I also heard there was someone we didn't interview who wanted the job that send his resume to the good doctor. He is now a super bowl winning coach
Sarcasm?

GRob Replacement Candidates

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2008/11/whos_next_the_choice_will_be_c.html

This one was early, Marrone isn't even mentioned.

Marrone Replacement Candidates

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/whos_next_possible_replacement.html

Not exactly a pretty list.

Here was my list from 12/18/2008

upload_2015-11-13_19-57-10.png

Marrone and Mullen now hit every block. HC experience, one of the best program builders in the game, 2012 offense, NFL HC.

Last edited:
Matt Patricia? No chance it was Sean Payton he was the NYG OC.

I think it was jim not john right?

Matt Patricia? No chance it was Sean Payton he was the NYG OC.

He means harbaugh but i think jim wanted the job not his brother who has the ring.

Wow we could have had John Harbaugh who was Philly special teams coach your right I remember reading that story this summer. Wow that dude can coach god dang it Dr. Gross.

Wow we could have had John Harbaugh who was Philly special teams coach your right I remember reading that story this summer. Wow that dude can coach god dang it Dr. Gross.
Yes that's what I heard.

iirc, For the Marrone hire Rob Konrad got a bunch of people to back Addazio.

Here was my list from 12/18/2008

View attachment 53718

Marrone and Mullen now hit every block. HC experience, one of the best program builders in the game, 2012 offense, NFL HC.

Marrone a Top end recruiter and Chip Kelly not.

Imagine Chip Kelly's 1st class at USC? It literally may be all 5 stars.

edit* not a dig at your spreadsheet. Just amazing how things change. We had a legit shot at John Harbaugh and Chip Kelly in 08 for goodness sake. And Doug Marrone, a terrible recruiter, was thought of as everyone who would be able to bring in great talent and be an offensive mind.

You'd have to ask them. It wasn't money.

Didn't daddy tell Skippy not to take the Cuse job? Or am I losing my mind? It's possible it could be both as I'm currently awaiting results from my doctor

Marrone a Top end recruiter and Chip Kelly not.

Imagine Chip Kelly's 1st class at USC? It literally may be all 5 stars.

edit* not a dig at your spreadsheet. Just amazing how things change. We had a legit shot at John Harbaugh and Chip Kelly in 08 for goodness sake. And Doug Marrone, a terrible recruiter, was thought of as everyone who would be able to bring in great talent and be an offensive mind.

Kelly had no history as a D-1 recruiter. When Marrone was at GT and then the SEC he was seen as an excellent recruiter in the region.

As for the terrible recruiter stuff, they were starting from scratch in the BE, bottom of the barrel facilities, with a four year history of being terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom