Pat on the Back... | Syracusefan.com

Pat on the Back...

BillSU

All American
for my grandson and educational for some on this great board.

Uprights!*#!^

I just watched the kicker for the Bears miss a 43 yard field goal. The kick, had it been good, would have won the game over the Eagles 18 - 16 and they would have gone on to play the Rams in LA. Instead, the Eagles won 16 – 15 and will play the Saints in New Orleans because the ball was kicked to the left, hit the left upright which then sent the ball down to the left side of the crossbar which bounced the ball out to the front of the end zone. This was a Wild Card game with prestige and if lucky a chance to play in the Super Bowl. Tough for the team and for the emotions of the kicker, forever.

Uprights and crossbars can be cruel or not. They can adversely affect the attempted field goal kick on its way through the uprights by blocking the balls path and knocking it down to the field or helping it through depending on the angle of the ball.

I was an All- State prep QB in N.J. Part of my responsibility was the holder for the kicker of PAT's and FG's. A walk on to SU who was awarded a scholarship and then almost flunked out of school because my counselor in the School of Art couldn't figure out how to schedule my classes which were like a job 8 A.M.- 5 P.M. I was walking out of class for practice at 2:30. I was fast, N.J. State Champion. 9.7 in the 100 yard dash but had to quit sports entirely which included indoor track - running around the wooden track at Manley which had just been opened. I digress.

Much of the result of a field goal depends on many things but mostly the kicker.

Some of the things that contribute to a good FG:

The holder getting a good, fast snap from the long snapper, catch the ball and position it on the ground quickly and spin the ball, ( if needed), to get the laces in the right position, (away from the kicker's instep facing the goalpost).

Most of the responsibility of scoring 3 points or not, however, rests with the kicker who has practiced kicking pre - season and all season and has muscle memory to help him guide the ball through the uprights. Many other things though are involved such as, eyes focused on the ball until and including after the ball has been kicked like a golfer driving a ball off the tee, leg lock, (too long to explain), toe point, not hitting the ground with cleats before contacting the ball, and hip position and follow through determine the balls path.

Pat on the Back: For the past two years I have helped coach my grandson who played soccer but was also the starting kicker for the Steubenville Ohio Big Red Football team. Last year he was 65 – 66 in PAT's made and 1-1 for FG's (coach believes in running it in), and won the right to call himself best kicker in Big Red history and All Ohio Division 4A. The team was 15-0 including winning the state championship in Canton. This year he was 36 – 36, 1-1 FG due to a soccer injury he missed two games. This year the team was 10 – 2, he was All Eastern District Ohio and First Team All state kicker. He's got a 4.26 GPA and has been accepted and is being recruited by 11 schools. Grandpa, BillSU is proud of him. Ian and I thank you for reading this. P.S. You don't have to be BIG to get it right. Ian is only 5'8" 150 but he can kick a fifty yard field goal. It's all technique. GOSU :)

Last edited:
Bill, my son also plays in Ohio Division 4, District 13, at CVCA. We’ve been following Steubenville from a distance the last two years.

CVCA just missed the playoffs in 2017, but followed that up with the school’s best season in more than ten years last fall.

As the regular season came to a close, he scoured joeeitel.com each week, hoping to get a chance to match up with Steubenville. But it wasn’t meant to be. We snuck in and got #1 Perry instead. If I recall, Steubenville was the two seed.

CVCA gave Perry their first competitive game in months - we were down one score with the ball midway through the fourth quarter, before being stopped on downs. (That’s not how the 1 vs 8 games are supposed to go!)

CVCA is a small private school - not a powerhouse public school like the Big Red. For us, it was a great run.

Watch out for CVCA’s Tre Tucker, All State, and the fastest man in Ohio. He’s a Cincinnati commit and will do great things at wideout and in the wildcat for the Bearcats in years to come.

In the meantime, congrats to your grandson. Good luck to him in the recruiting process.

for my grandson and educational for some on this great board.

Uprights!*#!^

I just watched the kicker for the Bears miss a 43 yard field goal. The kick, had it been good, would have won the game over the Eagles 18 - 16 and they would have gone on to play the Rams in LA. Instead, the Eagles won 16 – 15 and will play the Saints in New Orleans because the ball was kicked to the left, hit the left upright which then sent the ball down to the left side of the crossbar which bounced the ball out to the front of the end zone. This was a Wild Card game with prestige and if lucky a chance to play in the Super Bowl. Tough for the team and for the emotions of the kicker, forever.

Uprights and crossbars can be cruel or not. They can adversely affect the attempted field goal kick on its way through the uprights by blocking the balls path and knocking it down to the field or helping it through depending on the angle of the ball.

I was an All- State prep QB in N.J. Part of my responsibility was the holder for the kicker of PAT's and FG's. A walk on to SU who was awarded a scholarship and then almost flunked out of school because my counselor in the School of Art couldn't figure out how to schedule my classes which were like a job 8 A.M.- 5 P.M. I was walking out of class for practice at 2:30. I was fast, N.J. State Champion. 9.7 in the 100 yard dash but had to quit sports entirely which included indoor track - running around the wooden track at Manley which had just been opened. I digress.

Much of the result of a field goal depends on many things but mostly the kicker.

Some of the things that contribute to a good FG:

The holder getting a good, fast snap from the long snapper, catch the ball and position it on the ground quickly and spin the ball, ( if needed), to get the laces in the right position, (away from the kicker's instep facing the goalpost).

Most of the responsibility of scoring 3 points or not, however, rests with the kicker who has practiced kicking pre - season and all season and has muscle memory to help him guide the ball through the uprights. Many other things though are involved such as, eyes focused on the ball until and including after the ball has been kicked like a golfer driving a ball off the tee, leg lock, (too long to explain), toe point, not hitting the ground with cleats before contacting the ball, and hip position and follow through determine the balls path.

Pat on the Back: For the past two years I have helped coach my grandson who played soccer but was also the starting kicker for the Steubenville Ohio Big Red Football team. Last year he was 65 – 66 in PAT's made and 1-1 for FG's (coach believes in running it in), and won the right to call himself best kicker in Big Red history and All Ohio Division 4A. The team was 15-0 including winning the state championship in Canton. This year he was 36 – 36, 1-1 FG due to a soccer injury he missed two games. This year the team was 10 – 2, he was All Eastern District Ohio and First Team All state kicker. He's got a 4.26 GPA and has been accepted and is being recruited by 11 schools. Grandpa, BillSU is proud of him. Ian and I thank you for reading this. P.S. You don't have to be BIG to get it right. Ian is only 5'8" 150 but he can kick a fifty a field goal. It's all technique. GOSU :)

Keep us posted on your grandson. Here's hoping he lands a D1 FBS spot on a roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom