Path to ACC Championship | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Path to ACC Championship

It is interesting that the ACC went away from divisions and yet the ACC CG might have both games not feature a head to head with the conference's premier programs. Clemson and Miami did not make it last year. FSU will not make it this year and Miami could miss out as well.

ACCCG is a tall order. This team is good enough to get there but the margin for error is razor thin. I'd still be happy with 9-10 wins. That would give us a great bowl.

But it's definitely fun to talk about.

Will we see that complete game. I don't think we have seen it yet or really come close.

Offense solid but leaving points and not really any explosive plays.
Defense middling,
Oline scuffling
kicking. ugly

lots of upside for sure. Can we get there. Pitt game really means a lot if they are going to trend up.

Lots of work on Specials and some on D, plus keep building the running game. We are showing a ton of promise, but if we are being honest with ourselves we have warts...and our schedule has helped us. Win each week and get better, great things can happen still.

The good news is most every team has those same wart issues.

Miami is a couple replay reviews from 2 losses

Clemson after game 1 looks like Clemson, then again, they have played no one that is any good.

One game at a time folks. Looking too far forward is fools gold.
I don’t see people “predicting” anything. They are just speculating what the best path for us to get in is. This is not the Rutgers board where every body would be predicting we will get in, and everybody in front of them they “should beat”

The key is to let Pitt do all the dirty work for us. If we win out and Pitt win out except losing to us, then ACC will have five one-loss teams and we win the tie breaker.

Syracuse 2-0 (beat Pitt and Miami)
Pitt 2-1 (beat Clemson and SMU, lose to Syracuse)
Miami 0-1 (lose to SU)
Clemson 0-1 (lose to Pitt)
SMU 0-1 (lose to Pitt)

Also this will be the best path for ACC to send the most teams to playoff.
Syracuse 11-1
Pitt 11-1
Miami 11-1
Clemson 10-2
SMU 10-2

ACC will send at least 3 teams to playoff with Clemson possibly the 4th.
If this happens, I think only the ACC champion and possibly us if we lost, (close) would get in. Only because we played Miami and beat them, would they be left out. If they did not play us and lose, they would probably be in at 11-1.

just looking at the SEC, let’s say Alabama Georgia Texas all have 2 losses, they are in. If teams like ole Miss LSU or Tennessee has three, I could easily see 2 of them them getting too. In all likelihood, Oregon, Penn State and Ohio State account for three more and the big 12 winner, but not sure if anyone else comes from there. plus the G5. That would leave room for only two ACC teams. The winner, and in my opinion, if anybody else finishes with just one loss. Unfortunately, so far, other than Miami beating an OK Florida team, the ACC has zero non conference wins that move the needle to say we have played a tough enough schedule and won.

I think Pitt is a good team that has benefited from playing the 103rd worst defensive teams of the country. They will be exposed. That is why even if we win out, I don’t think our chances are even 50-50 to get in acccg, but could get in the playoffs.

There is no team that we play until Miami where you think man we need to be great, and they need to suck to win.

Most of the league has games where you can play poorly and win if they play bad.

This isnt the 90's where Miami/VT rolled and if they played a C level game our A game might win.

Our A game can win every one of these games. Do we have an A game , cause we havent seen it yet.

If this happens, I think only the ACC champion and possibly us if we lost, (close) would get in. Only because we played Miami and beat them, would they be left out. If they did not play us and lose, they would probably be in at 11-1.

just looking at the SEC, let’s say Alabama Georgia Texas all have 2 losses, they are in. If teams like ole Miss LSU or Tennessee has three, I could easily see 2 of them them getting too. In all likelihood, Oregon, Penn State and Ohio State account for three more and the big 12 winner, but not sure if anyone else comes from there. plus the G5. That would leave room for only two ACC teams. The winner, and in my opinion, if anybody else finishes with just one loss. Unfortunately, so far, other than Miami beating an OK Florida team, the ACC has zero non conference wins that move the needle to say we have played a tough enough schedule and won.

I think Pitt is a good team that has benefited from playing the 103rd worst defensive teams of the country. They will be exposed. That is why even if we win out, I don’t think our chances are even 50-50 to get in acccg, but could get in the playoffs.
I think we could go 11-1 and beat Miami and get in with no ACC champ game
Going 11-1 and losing to Clemson would probably keep us out

I don't think Clemson will lose another game in conference. IMO VA Tech has the best shot but it is unlikely.

Miami I think will lose one of their 3 road games if not multiple.

Pitt will be lucky to go .500 the rest of the way.

SMU has a weak schedule but they will definitely slip up 1-2 times.

Louisville has a rough schedule no way they survive.

I think VA Tech could get on a roll. I wouldn't count them out.

I think Clemson will be one team. The other is open for debate, but I would go with Miami. If we are 9-2 going into the Miami game we will still be alive. But I think there is almost no chance of being 9-2.
I don’t think SMU would have two losses, which would be required and even if they did, if they beat Stanford, it probably wouldn’t matter. I think we have to win out to have any chance at all. The unbalanced schedule that SMU got is beyond fortunate for them.

The great thing about this team is that we have leaders who have been here before in Fran, McCord, Meeks, and Diggs to an extent (I know A&M was never a true playoff contender, but he played on some of the biggest stages). I have no doubt that this team is just locked in on Pitt and not looking forward. It’s the great thing about being a fan and what makes the season so exciting. We can look forward and dream about the what-ifs. It’s like winning the lottery, but with Fran at the helm we have better chances. Like OttoinGrotto said though, just win baby, and the rest will take care of itself.

There is no team that we play until Miami where you think man we need to be great, and they need to suck to win.

Most of the league has games where you can play poorly and win if they play bad.

This isnt the 90's where Miami/VT rolled and if they played a C level game our A game might win.

Our A game can win every one of these games. Do we have an A game , cause we havent seen it yet.
This is so true. And I think looking at our upcoming schedule our ”Best” (3/4 of GT, UNLV minus punts etc), is better than the best I have seen from any of our opponents. So I absolutely agree. There’s so much more upside for us.

The only complete offensive game we have had is UNLV.

The defense except for the the last Quarter of NCST and the last 8 minutes vs GT has been good enough for us to win every game. And even with our defensive line losses, I only saw two bad plays by them that gave up big plays to NC State. We still have enough there (minus 4th quarters)

Pittsburghs best came against poor defenses, (and should have lost 2), and when they played a good one, they struggled.

Cal‘s best came against Miami, but had 72 yards rushing and 11 completions. If there is a website out there (which I think there is) where you can plug in “72 yards rushing or less”, “11 completions or less”, /most points scored, that might’ve been an NCAA record to score 38.

Connecticut playing well for Connecticut, but we should beat them

BC looks OK

Virginia Tech might have the most potential of everybody everybody we still play.

Miami and Clemson are clearly better than everyone else. Most likely both win out. Pitt, SMU, Lville, and maybe SU next tier. SMU good chance to go undefeated in conference because of their schedule.

If SU can go 4-2 the rest of the way it’s a great year.

Miami and Clemson are clearly better than everyone else. Most likely both win out. Pitt, SMU, Lville, and maybe SU next tier. SMU good chance to go undefeated in conference because of their schedule.

Yep, I would take 9-3 in a heartbeat and would be a GREAT start with something you can build on moving forward with regard to HS recruiting as well as the portal. The Stanford game did happen and having to run the table over the next 6 will be virtually impossible. It's not going to happen, the team just has too many flaws as well as a first year HC. Love to be wrong here but the odds are telling me I will not be. I think 10-2 is even too big an ask at this point. Have to walk before you can run.

Other than UCONN every opponent should be tough. I think Clemson is by far the best team, Miami a clear #2 and then the rest can fight amongst themselves. And again we lost at home to Stanford which was really a backbreaker if the season was going to escalate to ACC championship type levels.

Last edited:

If that happened, and we got the gator bowl, it would be a great year. Even Holiday or Sun bowl.

i’m pretty sure the next game we will show that we are a tier ahead of PITT. I strongly believe their offensive prowess is because of the level of defenses they’ve played. if not for epic collapses by middling West Virginia and Cincinnati teams, Pitt would not be highly thought of.

also looking at how SMU is playing and their schedule, I actually think they are more likely to win out than Miami.

The reality is we can win literally every game we have left on this schedule.

But on the flip side, we also could lose to any of the teams remaining on the schedule.

Team needs to keep doing what it’s doing taking one day at a time and let us fans dream about the what may bes