Patrick Ewing: The Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry and returning to the Carrier Dome | Syracusefan.com

Patrick Ewing: The Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry and returning to the Carrier Dome

Georgetown is a school with a chronic attendence problems. The SU game is one of the highlights of their season from both an attendance and National visibility standpoint.

GU and Ewing realize this and will do whatever and say whatever to keep the series alive. The ACC’s move to 20 conference games could jeopardize the SU v GU game and they know this and have recently appealed to SU to keep it going.

I’d take anything the GU people say and this supposed nostalgia for the good old days with a huge grain of salt.

Last time Ewing was in the Dome he was throwing elbows. Now he couldn’t be nicer.

I mean, that was 33 years ago. I bet 1985 Townie wasn't nearly as jovial and pleasant as you are now, either.

sandler.jpg

Its all well and good for us to say we don't need them. I get it. I hate how terrible we have played vs them and uconn. But Syracuse does not have a single attractive non ACC opponent scheduled in either sport at the moment. Anyone good won't be played in the Dome.

We can get someone OK in but the blue bloods that would fill the Dome in December might pass on home and homes with us.

If I was a ST holder I'd be pretty angry if I knew all I was going to get was the same ACC teams and local schools. Georgetown every other year when we are away in the ACC B1G would be a good thing from that angle.

Its all well and good for us to say we don't need them. I get it. I hate how terrible we have played vs them and uconn. But Syracuse does not have a single attractive non ACC opponent scheduled in either sport at the moment. Anyone good won't be played in the Dome.

We can get someone OK in but the blue bloods that would fill the Dome in December might pass on home and homes with us.

If I was a ST holder I'd be pretty angry if I knew all I was going to get was the same ACC teams and local schools. Georgetown every other year when we are away in the ACC B1G would be a good thing from that angle.
I mean it’s a pretty tough schedule this year with Ohio State away, Buffalo ranked the Oregon and UConn tournament, and Gtown. And considering we play in the ACC, I’m not sure we want that many more tough opponents.

It’s funny because Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC have no trouble finding other blue bloods to play in every year in home and homes. Syracuse, believe it or not, used to get at least one marquee, top tier program to the dome every year and we would travel to one every year also. This is college hoops, a loss in pre-conference to a blue blood ain’t no thing, especially if it’s on the road.

Our weak scheduling when it comes to other heavyweights has been an issue for us for a number of years now. At least now we play the Hoyas every year in a home and home... any coincidence that we don’t play Nova, the best of all the old big east teams? We can get anyone in the country to play us home and home if we want to, we just choose not to. Hopefully that changes in a decade or so when JB retires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom