Pay for Play...A reality! | Syracusefan.com

Pay for Play...A reality!

Let me put this pay-for-play business into perspective.

$2000 ÷ 52 wks/yr = 38.46 per week.

Cam's Pizza special:
(1) 20" Cheese Pizza + 20 wings = $28.99 (plus tax).....Extra toppings are 2.59 each
(1) 2-liter of soda: $2.69

So, if a student athlete were to buy 1 large 20" pizza with pepperoni, 20 wings and a 2-liter of soda, it would cost them about $37.00...tax included.

1) i don't think they should get any money at all beyond what they already get

i don't recall seeing this article posted, but it breaks down the money pretty well before this was agreed upon...so this $2000 is just icing
http://www.holyturf.com/2011/05/foo...17000-annually-in-cash-all-within-ncaa-rules/

2) that's a horribly skewed perspective that makes it look like someone is practically saying they're worse off than before; there are several arguments to whittle that down that exaggeration -
1. these finely tuned athletes wouldnt be getting this "special" every week (i hope)
2. especially in season
3. they probably hang out with other athletes 95% of their free time (so lets split that special 2 ways...cause 3 wouldnt satisfy anyones hunger)
4. during their respective seasons they wouldnt have much time (you could argue any time if they're mature enough and responsible) to go out and spend money

let's split the difference and say they spend $20/week through the season (syracuse :starting august 5th, when camp begins and they should be buckling down, through pinstripe/dec.30) = 21 weeks (i think) = $420 spent (give or take depending on how responsible the athlete is), 31 (remainder of weeks) = $1580 or $64/week ... very doable

student-athletes used to be allowed to work throughout the schoolyear ( i believe it was passed in 98) i can't remember how much they were allowed to make, but i thought it was $2000 total ...does anyone know if this is that same allowance? meaning do they now just get that money without having to work, or can they still work for an additional $2000?

student-athletes used to be allowed to work throughout the schoolyear ( i believe it was passed in 98) i can't remember how much they were allowed to make, but i thought it was $2000 total ...does anyone know if this is that same allowance? meaning do they now just get that money without having to work, or can they still work for an additional $2000?

Perkins worked in the Goldstein Dining Center on South last winter. I imagine he made the same as anyone else who worked there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me put this pay-for-play business into perspective.

$2000 ÷ 52 wks/yr = 38.46 per week.

Cam's Pizza special:
(1) 20" Cheese Pizza + 20 wings = $28.99 (plus tax).....Extra toppings are 2.59 each
(1) 2-liter of soda: $2.69

So, if a student athlete were to buy 1 large 20" pizza with pepperoni, 20 wings and a 2-liter of soda, it would cost them about $37.00...tax included.

Holy cow I miss Cam's

This is a horrible rule. The rich get richer and the smaller conferences won't want to shell out the extra dough. Plus Title IX still applies I believe. So schools will have to spend extra on womens sports to make up for this extra scholarship money. And it's only a matter of time before smaller sports start wanting to be paid. It's a slippery slope they are heading down by doing this.