Pay Raise for Jimmy | Syracusefan.com

Pay Raise for Jimmy

I have no problem giving him a raise, but I feel 33% is a bit much.

33% does sound like a lot, but I have been of the impression that Jimmy has always been underpaid compared to the few other coaches around who have had similiar success levels. I am OK w 33% if it gets him in line with fair value for the job he has done & the loyalty he has always had for the Cuse.

33% does sound like a lot, but I have been of the impression that Jimmy has always been underpaid compared to the few other coaches around who have had similiar success levels. I am OK w 33% if it gets him in line with fair value for the job he has done & the loyalty he has always had for the Cuse.
On the off chance he's ever read some of the nonsense that gets posted about him on this board, I'd say 33% is reasonable.

The percentage is irrevelant, it is the final amount that matters... If he went from 250k to 500k he would get a 100% raise but be grossly underpaid

Also wasn't jimmy perennially one of the most underpaid coaches in cbb? I thought it took him something like 20 years to get to seven figures from the University (not counting endorsements/side earnings) when there were many coaches making much more with resumes that were much less

If anything he deserves to be overpaid (i dont think he is even with raise) now to make up for being underpaid before. Just reminds me how lucky we are to have someone so good at his job to stay with our little town so long :)

This is accurate. The ballpark threshold for good coaches is $2M, and $3M+ for the all-time greats. Boeheim really has been a steal and is worth every penny and then some, even if he was partially responsible for some of the off-court things over the last year.

On the off chance he's ever read some of the nonsense that gets posted about him on this board, I'd say 33% is reasonable.

And the criticism here is nothing in comparison to the unrestrained stupidity on Syracuse.com.

That's just enough to allow him to eke past JTIII for 12th(!) place on the best-paid coaches list

I don't think it is official, but I suspect that a chunk of what would be JB's potential compensation is re-directed to Mike Hopkins to make him one of the highest paid assistants and to keep him secure as coach-in-waiting.

We wouldn't have developed into a basketball power over the past 30 years without JB; we wouldn't be going to the ACC without JB; we wouldn't have a NC without JB; without JB, we'd have been relegated to mid-major status long ago. His competitive fire and intelligence are the key elements in the progression of the SU basketball program, without which the football program would have completely foundered. For those of us that care about SU's status in the college sports world, he has been the number 1 reason we are a selector school with strong tradition.

Whatever he gets paid now or in the future, we still owe him big.

We wouldn't have developed into a basketball power over the past 30 years without JB; we wouldn't be going to the ACC without JB; we wouldn't have a NC without JB; without JB, we'd have been relegated to mid-major status long ago. His competitive fire and intelligence are the key elements in the progression of the SU basketball program, without which the football program would have completely foundered. For those of us that care about SU's status in the college sports world, he has been the number 1 reason we are a selector school with strong tradition.

Whatever he gets paid now or in the future, we still owe him big.
Whoa there, Jimmy has certainly done the job, but to say that we would be nowhere wo him is crazy.

I think the biggest thing that Jimmy has brought to the table in terms of our program has been consistancy. We never have the really bad season. However, I think there are plenty of other guys out there who could have taken SU's assets (Dome, BE TV, Eastern presence, tradition, etc) and built up a very respectable program that probably could have had similiar highs, but just would have had more frequent off seasons ala perhaps a UConn or a GTown.

Just as an FYI, the program seemed to have started it's upward climb under Danforth (even pre-Dome & pre-BE), Jimmy's predecessor, though, of course the rise continued on Jimmy's watch.

Whoa there, Jimmy has certainly done the job, but to say that we would be nowhere wo him is crazy.

I think the biggest thing that Jimmy has brought to the table in terms of our program has been consistancy. We never have the really bad season. However, I think there are plenty of other guys out there who could have taken SU's assets (Dome, BE TV, Eastern presence, tradition, etc) and built up a very respectable program that probably could have had similiar highs, but just would have had more frequent off seasons ala perhaps a UConn or a GTown.

Just as an FYI, the program seemed to have started it's upward climb under Danforth (even pre-Dome & pre-BE), Jimmy's predecessor, though, of course the rise continued on Jimmy's watch.

I think JB has been underrated by the SU fan community for a lot of years with concerns about his inability to win the big one, the negative concerns about his zone compulsion, his quirky personality, sarcastic demeanor, and perceived limits to his capabilities. He's an intense competitor with strong basketball savvy, has shown incredible loyalty to SU and the Syracuse area, and has done a lot of good for mankind. He's the kind of guy we should be proud of for a lot of reasons.

While Danforth took us to our first final four and left the program ripe for development, there has been a seachange in college athletics during JB's era, at the end of which SU is in a very good place. The Big East, the Dome, ESPN, bigtime recruiting, etc. have all come into being during the time that JB has been here. Some of those only became assets due to his efforts, even if indirectly. He deserves a full measure of credit for his part in the success the program has had.

There were other established programs that had the same opportunity for success with much better conditions that fared much worse. That's not coincidental. Few programs have had his level of consistency during the tenure of a coach and I find it absolutely amazing that SU has not had a losing season with JB as coach. How many coaches have accomplished that feat? There may be a number of coaches that would have been more charismatic and looked & talked prettier on TV and some that would have won more games in NCAA tournaments, but I believe he'll be remembered better by sports historians than by his contemporaries. I apologize if I state the case too strongly, but he has done well for himself and SU and he's deserving of accolades and compensation equal to his peers.

A Syracuse coach should never be paid less than a Georgetown coach as Georgetown should never have a better team than Syracuse in any sport.

Seems outrageous how little JB is willing to be paid vs what other coaches are being paid. Even with the raise added, he's still a bargain by comparison.