Class of 2025 - Class of 2025 Recruiting Discussion | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 Class of 2025 Recruiting Discussion

Playing in front of 110k fans in a white out where football players are treated as gods in an entire state lives and breathes Penn St football doesn’t hurt either. Especially now with NIL as big as it’s become. Oh and B10 affiliation and the amount of $ that comes along with that. Other than that no difference really.
Agreed, like I said it’s a choice to not see the challenges but trying to compare Syracuse to Penn St is preposterous..

Playing in front of 110k fans in a white out where football players are treated as gods in an entire state lives and breathes Penn St football doesn’t hurt either. Especially now with NIL as big as it’s become. Oh and B10 affiliation and the amount of $ that comes along with that. Other than that no difference really.
I’d be curious to see if PSU went through a stretch like we did with GROB / Marrone / Shafer / Dino if they’d be putting 110k in the seats. Again you’re comparing from a success point a consistent top 20 PSU vs. a largely down Syracuse. When the dome was rocking in tbe 90’s it was a pretty unique game experience here and impressive in its own right.

There are certain things we can’t overcome - conference affiliation, NIL pool, state school vibe, but the weather / geographic location / strength of recruiting territory excuses that had been historically thrown around here are just that. We’re likely never going to “be” PSU but we can be a heck of a lot closer than we have been. We just need to keep investing in the program top to bottom and hire hungry coaches that are going to outwork everyone around them.

Last edited:
I’d be curious to see if PSU went through a stretch like we did with GROB / Marrone / Shafer / Dino if they’d be putting 110k in the seats. Again you’re comparing from a success point a consistent top 20 PSU vs. a largely down Syracuse. When the dome was rocking in tbe 90’s it was a pretty unique game experience here and impressive in its own right.

There are certain things we can’t overcome - conference affiliation, NIL pool, state school vibe, but the weather / geographic location / strength of recruiting territory excuses that had been historically thrown around here are just that. We’re likely never going to “be” PSU but we can be a heck of a lot closer than we have been. We just need to keep investing in the program top to bottom and hire hungry coaches that are going to outwork everyone around them.
A lot of people on this board apparently have no first-hand experience with what game day was like when SU was a perennial power.

The only difference is that Penn State has a recent history of success. Hopefully, Brown will change that.
Besides the Big 10 money, the huge fanbase, and that Penn St is the state university of Pennsylvania and it is located close to many of the best recruiting areas:

3 hours to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Virginia state line
3.5 hours to Philly, Trenton, NJ, and NYC
4 hours to DC and Cleveland

A lot of people on this board apparently have no first-hand experience with what game day was like when SU was a perennial power.
I remember vividly, but times have changed. Even comparing our most recent big games compared to games in the 80’s-90’s vs Miami, VT, Tenn, it wasn’t comparable. You can’t expect some of those people who come to the recent big games as a one off experience to be invested as before when we had a larger, more passionate fan base, that was totally invested into the program/game. Also, a lot of previous season ticket holders, or those that came to big games, were men in the demographic who would be your typical football fan, that we lost do to the closing of many big, well paying, manufacturing plants that we’re all well aware of (Carrier, General Motors, Chrysler, Miller Brewing, Nestle, Kodak, etc). imo that certainly has had an effect. We still struggle to fill the Dome for major games, and the crowds that do come, well engaged, just don’t seem to be invested at the same passionate level as during our best years. I remember not being able to talk to the person next to me throughout large parts of the game. There has definitely been a change and it would be interesting to see if we can be consistently good (8 wins +) for several years if the same enthusiasm, and fanaticism ever returns.

I think “perennial power” is stretching it a bit. We have had periods of time when we were consistent top 20 team, peaking into to 10 frequently.
Even though we went into the 88 Sugar Bowl undefeated, we weren’t really considered a national championship contender.

I remember vividly, but times have changed. Even comparing our most recent big games compared to games in the 80’s-90’s vs Miami, VT, Tenn, it wasn’t comparable. You can’t expect some of those people who come to the recent big games as a one off experience to be invested as before when we had a larger, more passionate fan base, that was totally invested into the program/game. Also, a lot of previous season ticket holders, or those that came to big games, were men in the demographic who would be your typical football fan, that we lost do to the closing of many big, well paying, manufacturing plants that we’re all well aware of (Carrier, General Motors, Chrysler, Miller Brewing, Nestle, Kodak, etc). imo that certainly has had an effect. We still struggle to fill the Dome for major games, and the crowds that do come, well engaged, just don’t seem to be invested at the same passionate level as during our best years. I remember not being able to talk to the person next to me throughout large parts of the game. There has definitely been a change and it would be interesting to see if we can be consistently good (8 wins +) for several years if the same enthusiasm, and fanaticism ever returns.
If we win 9 games and a bowl this season, next season's home opener will be a big deal in town. Especially if the '26 class is still looking like a top class.

We have been beaten down as a fan base for 20 plus years... It's going to take a little while, but the fans (like me) who were disenchanted will come back strong if we're given a reason.

I hadn't regularly posted on the football side for a long time, but Fran Brown brought me back fast. Other fans not as connected by Syracusefan.com will just take a little longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom