Paying college players | Syracusefan.com

Paying college players

MonsterGame

Walk On
Your thoughts, good or bad for NCAA D1 if players got the following? And would this incentivize more players to actually stay in school longer?

1st year players get $1500 per mo. for 6 months.
2nd year players get $3000 per mo. for 6 months.
3rd year players get $4500 per mo. for 6 months.
4th year players get $6000 per mo. for 6 months.

*This is of course above and beyond any current athletic scholarship benefits

Your thoughts, good or bad for NCAA D1 if players got the following? And would this incentivize more players to actually stay in school longer?

A one and done can get 1 million/ year or 3000/month. No.

Yea, $1500 is gonna help my family pay bills...

No.

Not sure it would really make a difference considering they'd still get paid far less than they would in the NBA, and not sure it's really fair either. I get that players are making money for these universities and whatnot, but they're already getting a free education. I'm not sure it's really fair that an athlete gets paid on top of it while an excellent scholar doesn't.

I feel like that's kind of the unpopular opinion at this point, but I don't mind the way the system currently is.

Ok let me say this.

If colleges are going to start paying players, they better get a hell of a lot stricter on grades. Or players could just use college as an "auditioning stage." If you start paying them, then you need to make sure they go to class or there will be no reason for them to go to classes or for them to even be considered students.

And plus, you're already going to college for free.

You're talking about ALL college athletes, right? Swimmers. Lax. Field Hockey. What have you. Right? Or, just the glam/money-making sports?

Either way — no.

they are paid. it's called tuition and board. and it's a goodly sum.
at some schools yesm Some are dar less expensive than others

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

You're talking about ALL college athletes, right? Swimmers. Lax. Field Hockey. What have you. Right? Or, just the glam/money-making sports?

Either way — no.

Good point, I meant college D1 basketball, wasn't considering football at this point, mainly because football players have to stay 3 years anyway. No way non-money makers should good this. This is a capitalist country for goodness sakes. Admittedly, the real solution to getting players to stay longer is the NBA changing the rule to the same way it is in football, but short of that, possibly marginal players might be convinced to stay another year if the money were there? Think a player like a Donte Green would be swayed to stay? What about Flynn? Any possibility? Maybe the answer is a definitive no, but I'd have to think it would be another point of consideration at least. I suppose a real on the fence type would be someone like CJ or Vander Blue from MU. Would those guys be swayed?

Good point, I meant college D1 basketball, wasn't considering football at this point, mainly because football players have to stay 3 years anyway. No way non-money makers should good this. This is a capitalist country for goodness sakes. Admittedly, the real solution to getting players to stay longer is the NBA changing the rule to the same way it is in football, but short of that, possibly marginal players might be convinced to stay another year if the money were there? Think a player like a Donte Green would be swayed to stay? What about Flynn? Any possibility? Maybe the answer is a definitive no, but I'd have to think it would be another point of consideration at least. I suppose a real on the fence type would be someone like CJ or Vander Blue from MU. Would those guys be swayed?
Under title nine you have to provide the same for everybody you give a scholarship to. So either nobody gets paid or everybody gets paid, I unless you use my plan. As soon as you sign your letter of intent you're eligible to be drafted. The team the dress she has the option of sending you to college for three years were signing you. If they send you to college you get $50,000 a year while you're in college you're a guaranteed contract which commences the year after your junior or senior year, your choice. The NBA also give you a $250,000 bonus if you come into the league with your degree or get it within one year of coming to the league

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Good point, I meant college D1 basketball, wasn't considering football at this point, mainly because football players have to stay 3 years anyway. No way non-money makers should good this. This is a capitalist country for goodness sakes. Admittedly, the real solution to getting players to stay longer is the NBA changing the rule to the same way it is in football, but short of that, possibly marginal players might be convinced to stay another year if the money were there? Think a player like a Donte Green would be swayed to stay? What about Flynn? Any possibility? Maybe the answer is a definitive no, but I'd have to think it would be another point of consideration at least.

I found this article interesting on the topic.

http://deadspin.com/5976391/sec-sch...her-ways-the-ncaa-is-a-bonfire-for-your-money

One thing to remember, at many schools, just because athletic programs are producing revenue, it doesn't mean they're turning a profit.

1st year players get $15,000 per mo. for 6 months.
2nd year players get $30,000 per mo. for 6 months.
3rd year players get $45,000 per mo. for 6 months.
4th year players get $60,000 per mo. for 6 months.

FIXED!

Money comes straight out of coaches salaries! HC and assistants

Ok let me say this.

If colleges are going to start paying players, they better get a hell of a lot stricter on grades. Or players could just use college as an "auditioning stage." If you start paying them, then you need to make sure they go to class or there will be no reason for them to go to classes or for them to even be considered students.

And plus, you're already going to college for free.
Isn't already an audition?

So all Division I programs?

So where are schools like Alabama AnM, Alcorn State, Albany, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Bethune Cookman, Charleston Southern, Chicago State, Elon, Furman, Georgia State, Hampton, Howard, Indiana Purdue-Ft. Wayne, Jackson State, Kennesaw State, etc, etc. going to get the money to pay their players?

If you want to get paid to play basketball, join the NBA. Or try your luck playing overseas. There are hundreds of teams around the world who will take talented American players. Unless of course you're not polished enough, or not mature enough, or not experienced enough, or not big enough, or not strong enough, or not a good enough shooter. In that case, you might want to stick around and get a degree as an amateur, and work on those things.

We've discussed this in seemingly 2 threads per month for several years now.

Full Cost of Attendance stipends for all scholarship athletes? Yes.
For everything else, the answer is "no".

I think players should get a small stipend, fly families to NCAA tourn/bowl games and provide travel expenses for players to go home for holidays .

:bang::bang: :bang:

You guys give me a couple million dollars and I'll give you a 4 year education. Since the value of an education is priceless this is a winning deal for you.

Players in money generating sports should get paid. The NCAA rules are so self serving to the schools, and against the interests of the players, that it is a joke. To say that the system even remotely approximates the free market, tuition and board for value of services rendered, is wrong. And the NCAA rules are all designed to make sure this economic system continues.

Yes all schools don't make the same amount from sports so either share the huge tourney money differently or let there be a class system.

Even the relatively small money would help many athletes who come from poor families and can't even gives kids the spending money that most students have. Remember, athletes are not allowed to work when in school either.

Even the relatively small money would help many athletes who come from poor families and can't even gives kids the spending money that most students have. Remember, athletes are not allowed to work when in school either.
As i mentioned above, this is called full "Cost of Attendance" scholarships. Just about everyone agrees with this. The schools even voted to allow this, before they quickly voted again to delay it's implementation.

This will happen, the only question is when. There will be schools that can afford this, and those that can't. I expect this to be optional, but all schools in the Big Five (former BCS) will pay it and possibly all FCS schools. It'll be interesting to see what happens at "non-football" schools. The C7-BE schools should be able to afford it (thanks to Fox), but others (like A-10 schools) probably cannot.

I'm definitely in the free school-only camp. Players are given an opportunity when otherwise they might have none.

But I'm sympathetic to what the Fab Five first brought to light a couple of decades ago. Once they're ordered to start wearing a certain brand of shoes on the court, but can't collect anything for it when others reap thousands or millions, I change my tune. Sure, opening up that avenue of pay for players could affect recruiting, but the same could be said for coaches, who can and do earn money from shoe companies.

Maybe players should explore this angle more and empower themselves that way somehow, rather than try for stipends from the universities. I don't know.

I'm definitely in the free school-only camp. Players are given an opportunity when otherwise they might have none.

But I'm sympathetic to what the Fab Five first brought to light a couple of decades ago. Once they're ordered to start wearing a certain brand of shoes on the court, but can't collect anything for it when others reap thousands or millions, I change my tune. Sure, opening up that avenue of pay for players could affect recruiting, but the same could be said for coaches, who can and do earn money from shoe companies.

Maybe players should explore this angle more and empower themselves that way somehow, rather than try for stipends from the universities. I don't know.

There was a story in the Fab Five book that Mitch Albom wrote that really struck me. I may have mentioned it before but I think about it every time this discussion comes up. Sometime during soph year Chris Webber was trying to buy some lunch, he ordered whatever he ordered (it was a couple of sandwiches or something), then he pulls out his wallet, doesn't have enough cash to pay for it, so he changes it to one sandwich or something. He then walks out of the place he got lunch from, walks past the student store where they are selling his jersey for $80 a pop, remarks to Albom that they are selling the jersey with his number on it, and he doesn't have enough cash to pay for lunch. Albom remarked in the book that as soon as he had that conversation with Webber, he knew he was going pro.

Anyway, I know that story is anecdotal and all that, and i get the fact that a lot of players get free educations that they wouldn't normally have access to, but I still dunno sometimes. So much money is being generated from college basketball and football. I can't pretend to understand how it would actually work in practice though.

I'm not sure it's really fair that an athlete gets paid on top of it while an excellent scholar doesn't.

I guess the response to that would be that no one is paying $80 for the scholar's clothes, and no one is paying literally billions of dollars to broadcast the scholar studying or taking tests. And whoever is mentor the scholar isn't being paid 6 or 7 figures either.

One thing to remember, at many schools, just because athletic programs are producing revenue, it doesn't mean they're turning a profit.
OK, so about that...

A lot of money changes hands due to college athletics, and we hear all the time about the NCAA doing things for the money.

The question nobody ever seems to be able to answer for me - where does that money end up? Who ends up profiting? With this much money changing hands, somebody has to end up with fat pockets - who is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom