Paypal Cal | Syracusefan.com

Paypal Cal

sufandu

Living Legend
is so easy to hate. I know that's as surprising as saying it may snow in Syracuse, but I can't get over how much I loathe the guy. After the Kentucky win he's gushing over the idea that the SEC may get three teams into the elite 8. Get back to me when it's 5 buddy. Or better yet, we can talk when your league gets 3 to the final four. So glad it looks like Florida is gonna lose right now.

Say what you want about Cal but the one thing his teams always do is defend. That to me is impressive given the caliber of player he recruits. Many of those guys are potentially of the type that might not give a flying about defense if it were not stressed in the program culture.

I don't hate him at all. His SEC giddiness was perfectly fine. Especially considering it was in the context of being a reaction to media/fans not respecting that league (as much as certain others). If we're talking just about on-camera stuff, I'll take that kind of rah-rah stuff over a negative JB tirade or throwing players under the bus. Cal knows how to 'play the media game,' and it appeals to recruits.

I don't like Cal at all, but I hope he beats UNC. I can't stand that they are on the road to back to back FF's without a peep from the NCAA when we had clouds over two of our best teams in 2012 and 2013.

Cal has Drake actively recruiting for him. Considering every single top recruit in the country follows Drake on instagram and buys his new albums within 5 seconds of release on iTunes, that's a big deal.

Just one example of how he's playing the game on a completely different level than anyone else.

I don't like Cal at all, but I hope he beats UNC. I can't stand that they are on the road to back to back FF's without a peep from the NCAA when we had clouds over two of our best teams in 2012 and 2013.
Just remember that the NCAA waited until the Ville was out to start coming down on Pitino. Next up is UNC.

must run a dirty program. he had wins vacated at memphis.

I feel like JB would be saying the exact same thing if roles were reversed.

"You media guys have been saying our conference isn't very good all year. Yet we have 3 of the last 8 teams remaining. Seems pretty good to me. "

Cal also does everything possible to help market a player whether he comes out in year 1 or year 2. His goal is for you to help his team and at the same time he will support you fully if you choose to go the NBA and I am sure is able to get very accurate information on draft position and any advice you ask for.

Compare that to JB's non supportive attitude towards players leaving early that he deems not ready and I am not sure why people still think its the shady that Cal gets more top recruits than us.

Cal also does everything possible to help market a player whether he comes out in year 1 or year 2. His goal is for you to help his team and at the same time he will support you fully if you choose to go the NBA and I am sure is able to get very accurate information on draft position and any advice you ask for.

Compare that to JB's non supportive attitude towards players leaving early that he deems not ready and I am not sure why people still think its the shady that Cal gets more top recruits than us.
This.

I mean, he almost certainly cheats too. But hey, if you're going to be dirty, embrace it. Don't go in half cocked like we did.

The thing is this: calling him a bad coach may or may not be accurate, but it is consistent with the criticism of JB here. Note when Boeheim brings a team of relative scrubs to the Final Four it is dismissed by our own fans as a lucky fluke. When Cal fails to win a championship with the equivalent of two and a half Carmelo Anthony's surrounded by a cast of Top 20 "role players," what should it be labeled? I don't know, but if JB failed to get championships with teams like that, the fans in Syracuse would want him tarred and feathered.

The thing is this: calling him a bad coach may or may not be accurate, but it is consistent with the criticism of JB here. Note when Boeheim brings a team of relative scrubs to the Final Four it is dismissed by our own fans as a lucky fluke. When Cal fails to win a championship with the equivalent of two and a half Carmelo Anthony's surrounded by a cast of Top 20 "role players," what should it be labeled? I don't know, but if JB failed to get championships with teams like that, the fans in Syracuse would want him tarred and feathered.
How do you think Syracuse would react if Boeheim did what Cal did at the end of the Kansas-Memphis game. Then again even if Memphis won the win would be vacated but still.