Ped State flips 2 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ped State flips 2

I hate Ped State and think they got off way to easy. With that said I don't understand all the hate for Franklin. I had the pleasure of meeting him once and thought he was a good guy. Also if you have never seen this video it is what college football is all about

That video was awesome... My thoughts on Franklin are simply that he is above all else a football coach, who takes winning more serious than anything. Sure, that's the way they should be, but when the PR train comes through (especially at PSU - the dirt hole of college athletics) and they try to make some coincidence, like the fact a few kids got all academic status, as a measure of a coaches leadership and dedication to values first and foremost, it irritates me. Few coaches at the factories truly give a crap about the educational component, more than they absolutely have too. They work the system and the kids to their advantage. Winning trumps ethics a lot of the time. I too thought Franklin was a good guy way back when I met him at MD. Then the Vandy rape scandal happened, and he made an ignorant remark about the ability to equate pretty girlfriends with a coaches ability to recruit. While his tactics are sound, in some sick misogynistic way, it just screamed low brow to me. With all that said, I have this feeling about most football coaches, and I have no particular feeling that Franklin is any worse or better. Just must disgust with the industry I guess. I've been burned though... I was a firm believer that Jim Tressel was a good man, having grown up around the Youngstown State program, and the stories I've heard about him since have made my a huge cynic.

somebody posted on another message board that franklin's career record at vandy is something like 23-15 (+/-). at first glance, you think that's pretty dam good in the SEC, then the same poster noted that franklin was only like 2-11 (dont quote me on that) against SEC teams with winning records.

Who knows, I didn't really follow Vandy but if those numbers are accurate it makes you wonder. Did Franklin get by on smoke and mirrors? I will grant him though that he'll get better players at ped state top to bottom and more talent should mean more wins.

Sounds like Schiano.

Man, I hate PSU! They got off so stinking easy! Now they have this new energy and are once again on the upswing! In essence sweeping the horrific past under the rug! Makes me sick in everyway!

I think a lot of this has to do with just how amazing of a coach Bill O'Brien is. The fact that he went 15-9 after near death penalty sanctions was impressive. It's a real shame the Penn State Elite treated him like crap, seemed like a great guy and prevented that program from going into a ten year tank.

not so fast, pretty good weekend

Were you not here a few months ago stating that Franklin was going to be at Vandy for a long time? And how Vandy football was here to stay, etc etc. well not looking good. Franklin left a mess for sure, left some talent but I would not be very happy if I was a Vandy fan. essentially losing an entire recruiting class.

Just my two cents and again this has nothing to do with Syracuse

Were you not here a few months ago stating that Franklin was going to be at Vandy for a long time? And how Vandy football was here to stay, etc etc. well not looking good. Franklin left a mess for sure, left some talent but I would not be very happy if I was a Vandy fan. essentially losing an entire recruiting class.

Just my two cents and again this has nothing to do with Syracuse
sometimes all you can do is move on

Agree 100%
Franklin is referred to as Coach Poach. New coach with only two weeks, has done a great job salvaging the recruiting class, Franklin played a lot guys, so a lot of starters/ guys with experience back, and like SU have a more favorable OOC schedule. If the new guy can coach, might win 8-10, more likely 6-8. Never going to be Bama

Franklin is referred to as Coach Poach. New coach with only two weeks, has done a great job salvaging the recruiting class, Franklin played a lot guys, so a lot of starters/ guys with experience back, and like SU have a more favorable OOC schedule. If the new guy can coach, might win 8-10, more likely 6-8. Never going to be Bama

I think Vandy made a good hire, and the new coach will be just fine. I think Franklin is a bit of a scum bag to be honest, just my opinion. I don't think he really needed to poach as hard as he did. PSU will be just fine with or without those kids. Once again zero loyalty, he could have exited with a bit more class but this seems to be the norm these days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom