Penn State game... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Penn State game...

I agree that it will be a close, down to the wire. PSU fans and maybe even their team think this will be like 2009 at State College. SU played tough but the game was never in doubt. This Orange team is much improved over that group.

Biggest difference in the 2009 game was an experienced senior QB named Daryl Clark. He ain't walking through that door.

Neither team is throwing caution to the wind in the passing game, at least in the first half. Maybe the second half becomes some kind of shootout depending on circumstances.

I think we are going to see a completely different offense than we're used to. 3WR with both backs in the backfield, Wales split wide in 4 wide sets. I think the gameplan will to spread out PSU and get our playmakers the ball in space (Broyld, PTG, Estime, Kobena) and make the PSU DB's make open field tackles.

I think we will try to force PSU into a Nickle or Dime package to contend with the speed on the field then pound the ball off tackle with Smith.

At least that's what I dream is going to happen!

One thing I am looking forward to seeing, is what Mcdonald's play calling style will be like. How good he is at identifying weakness and making in-game adjustments.

I guess you guys think our offense went to in the off season. I'm going with SU 38-24!

I think they've been going no contact for much of the spring. I wonder if that has an affect against a pretty physical team?

That's a good point, too. It's fun seeing an opppnent with some of our old problems.

I think the "no contact" stories have been over-hyped a bit. PSU has had enough practices where they do tackle against the first team to stay sharp. And I'm sure they're hitting the scout team. Poor fellas.

I also think the depth issue is being overplayed. Maybe that shows up more in game 6-12, but for the first half of the year, they should be fine. They are 2 deep at most spots on D, so there will certainly be rotation. The LB spot is the thinnest, but there are good things being heard about the new back-ups. And we'll be playing more nickel this year with more depth in the secondary. I think this D is MORE versitile than last year, even though it may be less talented at LB and DT.

We really haven't seen our defense score a lot of points in recent years ... that & a special teams score would be great additions to this game.

I think the "no contact" stories have been over-hyped a bit. PSU has had enough practices where they do tackle against the first team to stay sharp. And I'm sure they're hitting the scout team. Poor fellas.

I also think the depth issue is being overplayed. Maybe that shows up more in game 6-12, but for the first half of the year, they should be fine. They are 2 deep at most spots on D, so there will certainly be rotation. The LB spot is the thinnest, but there are good things being heard about the new back-ups. And we'll be playing more nickel this year with more depth in the secondary. I think this D is MORE versitile than last year, even though it may be less talented at LB and DT.

We told ourselves the same thing during our low scholarship years. It hurt our special teams play and our tackling wasn't as sure. We'll see I guess.

I agree - I dont see the depth being an issue in this game - in the season at large maybe, but this game its 1s vs 1s.

First off, I think coaches are morons if they ever expect a low scoring game. They control that. If a coach ever says something about how they know they're going to need to grind out a low scoring affair... YOUR GOAL IS TO GET A TOUCHDOWN EVERY TIME YOU HAVE POSSESSION YOU MEATHEAD. You should always believe you're going to be in a shootout and need sh'loads of points on the board, otherwise you're planning to fail and you're going to coach accordingly. And you've accepted failure! Horrible.

"We're on our opponents 42, 4th and 2... we're too far for a field goal... let's punt and play for field position! Oh no! Right to the back of the end zone? I was certain we were going to nail a coffin corner at the 2 on that one, because oddly shaped objects always go the way we think they will off the feet of college kids. Well, ok defense, you've got 80 yards to stop them, make every one count!"

Oh Lord

Second, Kaiser nailed it. Not to say this season is over if we start 0 and 2, but this is not a schedule that affords the luxury of easing in to things. Guns blazin'.

All I want is 10 touches for AB. I'd settle for 10 targets, even.

One thing I am looking forward to seeing, is what Mcdonald's play calling style will be like. How good he is at identifying weakness and making in-game adjustments.
I would like to on record being bullish on this... Yes before the first game

Also really looking forward to doing our part in making the acc a power/respectable football conference by beating strong teams OOC circa '85-'00

We help CREATE strong conferences... Not latching on and sucking from the teet (you know who you are)

LGO ORANGE!

I think we are going to see a completely different offense than we're used to. 3WR with both backs in the backfield, Wales split wide in 4 wide sets. I think the gameplan will to spread out PSU and get our playmakers the ball in space (Broyld, PTG, Estime, Kobena) and make the PSU DB's make open field tackles.

I think we will try to force PSU into a Nickle or Dime package to contend with the speed on the field then pound the ball off tackle with Smith.

At least that's what I dream is going to happen!

I agree this is what we'll try to do. I love our running backs, but they're not the most elite in the country in terms of speed and "make guys miss ability." I'm not sure what I prefer - giving our backs the ball in space, or lining up and having them run straight ahead for 5 yards by putting in double tight end sets like say wisconsin

That's the impression I get too. No respect for where we've been then to where we are now. Penn St. fans, reporters, ESPN, etc. They all see "1st year coach, 1st year QB" and the name Syracuse and write us off. We're going to surprise a lot of people this year.

I live just outside of State College, the Penn State fans I talk to at work (which is just about everyone) seem to think Syracuse is still a crap team - most of their fans were shocked when I said Syracuse went to and won a bowl game last year. For real, they thought Syracuse was like 3-9 last year. I get that they had no reason to pay attention past Thanksgiving, but sheesh.

I will be calling every dooshbag I work with and talking sheet on the drive home when Syracuse wins this game straight up. I'll probably crash my car somewhere around Delaware Water Gap...but it'll be worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom