Penn State game... | Syracusefan.com

Penn State game...

Jake

Mod
Maybe it's me, but I think we win this game outright. It's going to be a very conservative offensive game plan from both teams.

I think three areas determine the ball game.

1) turnovers...this could go either way.

2) limit negative plays. Neither team wants to deal with second or third and long. I think having a sr center is a huge advantage for us. I bet we get in the correct line calls more than they do- which I think we keep our negative plays to a minimum. On the flip side, our defensive talent and complexity could create enough negative plays to keep PSU from putting together long drives.

3) special teams. We know from very recent experience, that once you get down to 65 scholarship athletes,the depth necessary to field high end special teams just isn't there.

Just a feeling that we win this game.

Maybe it's me, but I think we win this game outright. It's going to be a very conservative offensive game plan from both teams.

I think three areas determine the ball game.

1) turnovers...this could go either way.

2) limit negative plays. Neither team wants to deal with second or third and long. I think having a sr center is a huge advantage for us. I bet we get in the correct line calls more than they do- which I think we keep our negative plays to a minimum. On the flip side, our defensive talent and complexity could create enough negative plays to keep PSU from putting together long drives.

3) special teams. We know from very recent experience, that once you get down to 65 scholarship athletes,the depth necessary to field high end special teams just isn't there.

Just a feeling that we win this game.
Why do you think we will have a conservative game plan?

If our OL and DL are up to the physical challenge (hardnosed?) then this game is a coin flip. As you said, the team with the least dumb mistakes wins.

Experts aren't giving us much of a chance, but this is absolutely nothing like the 2008 matchup. Completely different teams on both sides.

RBs are the strength of the offense. QBs and WRs are the question marks. Wouldn't make much sense on game 1 to come out guns a blazing. Turnovers will sink us.

I don't expect us to be all that conservative on D. Plenty of blitzes, especially run blitzes. Have to shut down that run game and confuse the crap out of whichever new QB they start.

I would expect a balanced attack. I bet it's going to be far less conservative then some think. I don't Schaefer is a very conservative guy

RBs are the strength of the offense. QBs and WRs are the question marks. Wouldn't make much sense on game 1 to come out guns a blazing. Turnovers will sink us.

I don't expect us to be all that conservative on D. Plenty of blitzes, especially run blitzes. Have to shut down that run game and confuse the crap out of whichever new QB they start.

So you're saying we'll be hiding our best stuff?!

KITCHEN SINK FOR CLEMSON!!!

:)

I think we stick with the formula that won us the WVU game. Pound the rock. These are the type of games that early mistakes kill us - ie a turnover, blocked punt or punt return for TD. As long as we're up, we use a bunch of hand offs, short passes and a little read option. As soon as we have to scrap that because we're behind we get into trouble. In the games that we have had a big win, we ran the table from gun to gun - WVU a few years ago, Kansas State, Louisville, WVU. Missouri was really the only game that we came from behind - and that was late in the season behind one of the best QBs we've ever had.

We need our defense to shut it down, limit special team mistakes, and our team to stay on a fast paced, but conservative style of play (with an occasional possible HB pass)

So you're saying we'll be hiding our best stuff?!

KITCHEN SINK FOR CLEMSON!!!

:)

I do so miss the kitchen sink. You could almost hear the collective sighs each time right thru your laptop screen.

I would expect a balanced attack. I bet it's going to be far less conservative then some think. I don't Schaefer is a very conservative guy

On defense for sure. But on offense, he's got to play it smart too. I fully expect a Rob Moore-ish type shot down the field early, we can't let Penn State load up 8-9 in the box all day, or else all the talented RBs in the world won't matter. I just don't expect to see a lot of sophistication in the passing game. Take a few shots, but mostly it will be like the scrimmage was, get the ball safely into the hands of playmakers, and see what they can do with it.

I think our offense will evolve into something very good this year, with enough balance. I just only expect to see a shell of that in this first game against this particular opponent.

On defense for sure. But on offense, he's got to play it smart too. I fully expect a Rob Moore-ish type shot down the field early, we can't let Penn State load up 8-9 in the box all day, or else all the talented RBs in the world won't matter. I just don't expect to see a lot of sophistication in the passing game. Take a few shots, but mostly it will be like the scrimmage was, get the ball safely into the hands of playmakers, and see what they can do with it.

I think our offense will evolve into something very good this year, with enough balance. I just only expect to see a shell of that in this first game against this particular opponent.
If that's not a Bat-signal for Allen,then I give up.

I had this as a loss fr a while, but i think he rocks it out on sat.

A slow burn is useless for the team and him. If everyone has this as a loss, and this game won't make or break his future...then just grip it and rip it.

Orange win on 2...ready...BREAK...ORANGE WIN!!!!

I like our success rate with flea flickers in the NYC area. Wonder how well Kobena can track a 60 yard pass in the air?

The point about special teams and depth is an interesting one. But I think it might make a bigger difference for them later in the season.

I agree. Their 1's are still the real deal and i just dont see their depth being an issue yet

The point about special teams and depth is an interesting one. But I think it might make a bigger difference for them later in the season.

I think they've been going no contact for much of the spring. I wonder if that has an affect against a pretty physical team?

I agree. Their 1's are still the real deal and i just dont see their depth being an issue yet

I think depth most definitely will be an issue. How many defenses keep exclusively their 1's on the field at all times. Nobody, you have to rotate defensive line for sure across all 4 or they will get gassed and run over by a fast paced physical team/offense like we run.

Secondary the same thing, Okie and situational packages which means 2's will play at at least 8 positions (DB/DL) for sure. They are also thin at DB and linebacker which leads me to beleive that the talent level will take a dip from last year at DB and DL.

Not saying their 2's are bad but if they were as good as the 1's, then they would be 1's.

Play hard, tackle, no turnovers.

Agree and add execute. In games like this, it's that one missed block that has the guy with the ball drilled and the ball comes flying out. A dropped pick or that elusive fumble that is just a fraction away from the team acquiring. FG kickers nail everything 42 and in and punters keep the ball up for 40+.

This is going to be a very physical game.

If our OL and DL are up to the physical challenge (hardnosed?) then this game is a coin flip. As you said, the team with the least dumb mistakes wins.

Experts aren't giving us much of a chance, but this is absolutely nothing like the 2008 matchup. Completely different teams on both sides.
I agree that it will be a close, down to the wire. PSU fans and maybe even their team think this will be like 2009 at State College. SU played tough but the game was never in doubt. This Orange team is much improved over that group.

I agree that it will be a close, down to the wire. PSU fans and maybe even their team think this will be like 2009 at State College. SU played tough but the game was never in doubt. This Orange team is much improved over that group.

That's the impression I get too. No respect for where we've been then to where we are now. Penn St. fans, reporters, ESPN, etc. They all see "1st year coach, 1st year QB" and the name Syracuse and write us off. We're going to surprise a lot of people this year.

It is a good point along with making sure you have the right guys doing the correct thing. We saw only so painfully how that can go vs Northwestern. The kids practice against players that run punts back like X but once they get into a game the other teams returner runs like Y and they don't react the same.

That's the impression I get too. No respect for where we've been then to where we are now. Penn St. fans, reporters, ESPN, etc. They all see "1st year coach, 1st year QB" and the name Syracuse and write us off. We're going to surprise a lot of people this year.

I agree with both of you. 14-13 or a 17-14 type of game. If either team jumps out to a 14-0 or 17-3 lead early it could change the whole shabang.
God, I can't wait for Saturday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom