Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976

I have friends and family who went there who get mad at the thought of St. Joe having any involvement. They want to just single out Sandusky and lay all of the blame at his feet when there was a whole support system allowing him to get away with his evil and despicable acts. The only things the sanctions did was to make the Happy Valley community tighter and created an us versus the world mentality. Then the NCAA had the nerve to lessen the sanctions. Unbelievable.

My ex gf was Penn St alum, she dragged me to Ped st a few times, she was intolerable, with how much she defended Psu, was part of the reason we broke up. Joe Pa, and the univ could do no wrong, it was sickening.

I have friends and family who went there who get mad at the thought of St. Joe having any involvement. They want to just single out Sandusky and lay all of the blame at his feet when there was a whole support system allowing him to get away with his evil and despicable acts. The only things the sanctions did was to make the Happy Valley community tighter and created an us versus the world mentality. Then the NCAA had the nerve to lessen the sanctions. Unbelievable.

I disagree, but only just a little. I don't think that current students feel that way. I mean, they're college students, have minds of their own, and, in huge numbers, deplore the type of conduct 'sanctioned' by those who came before. I think the same holds true for relatively recent graduates. There is a developing generational fissure. It's not just one Happy Valley any more.

I could see if their situation resembled the Bernie Fine situation - he said/she said, no evidence whatsoever of institution knowledge, and no criminal proceedings of any kind due to lack of evidence.

I mean, I think deep down we all know something weird went on with the Fine situation but none of us really know what and all of the cast of characters making accusations were people of questionable character to begin with for the most part. And there was no systemic coverup of reporting of the situation to authorities.

But their case is nothing like that. Supporting the school through the fire is one thing. Supporting Joe Pa (and to a lesser extent, their athletics program) knowing what we all know is just downright disgusting and despicable.

Last edited:
I disagree, but only just a little. I don't think that current students feel that way. I mean, they're college students, have minds of their own, and, in huge numbers, deplore the type of conduct 'sanctioned' by those who came before. I think the same holds true for relatively recent graduates. There is a developing generational fissure. It's not just one Happy Valley any more.
I can see that. The current students don't have the same connection to JoePa. That being said, he's still revered in that area. When all this went down, the students at PSU at the time, having minds of their own, were an embarrassing spectacle. I hope they lose every game. Hell, I think since there are no ties in football now, I'd hope that even Rutgers beats them. As a Cuse fan long before this stuff broke, I hated PSU long before it became the norm (outside of the 315).

But their case is nothing like that. Supporting the school through the fire is one thing. Supporting Joe Pa (and to a lesser extent, their athletics program) knowing what we all know is just downright disgusting and despicable.

This. I can't understand this at all. I also don't get recruits going to play there. They can make whatever choices they want, but it boggles my mind. A kid with an offer from PSU can go almost anywhere and he chooses psu?

This. I can't understand this at all. I also don't get recruits going to play there. They can make whatever choices they want, but it boggles my mind. A kid with an offer from PSU can go almost anywhere and he chooses psu?

I can't reconcile it either.

Still can't get the stank off.

th

i'm fascinated by the most recent developments on these cases as many people are. but I think i'm most fascinated by penn states decision to make 90 million dollars worth of settlements to 30+ claimants, without involving their insurance company...and then making an insurance claim thinking they are going to recoup the settlement money they magically created the value for.

it is akin having your house damaged, for a reason that coverage under an insurance policy is unclear, hiring the most expensive contractor you could find, and after the repairs were made make an insurance claim. i'm not sure if they are smart for doing that way because they know they have no chance, or if they have the cajones to think they can win a BS court case. either way, it is a bad faith way of dealing with your insurer.

i'm fascinated by the most recent developments on these cases as many people are. but I think i'm most fascinated by penn states decision to make 90 million dollars worth of settlements to 30+ claimants, without involving their insurance company...and then making an insurance claim thinking they are going to recoup the settlement money they magically created the value for.

it is akin having your house damaged, for a reason that coverage under an insurance policy is unclear, hiring the most expensive contractor you could find, and after the repairs were made make an insurance claim. i'm not sure if they are smart for doing that way because they know they have no chance, or if they have the cajones to think they can win a BS court case. either way, it is a bad faith way of dealing with your insurer.
Bad faith on the part of Penn State? Say it ain't so.

If you scroll down the very civil and literate comments section on that Washington Post story one of the folks here linked*, you find a series of interesting comments from "stuckonyou":

"No one's going to come out and admit now that they knew and did nothing. There is no way Sandusky could have escaped suspicion.

I know someone whose son went to Sandusky's football camp and said all the boys were talking about how you should stay away from Jerry, he's creepy. It was common knowledge among kids who had known him for a few days."
-----
"I'm just telling you what I heard. Jerry was handsy. Jerry looked for excuses to touch boys, i.e. tickling, wrestling throwing kids around in the pool. Jerry stared at boys."
-----
"When numerous unrelated people make very similar allegations it tends to lend them some credibility"

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

*New court documents suggest others at Penn State knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse

Last edited:
I remember a 60 Minutes puff piece from the late 70's on how Paterno was a highly successful coach who didn't think winning was an important as integrity and the welfare of the "kids", (meaning his players). I also recall Jack Palance being on the Carson Show a couple of nights later and saying that he'd seen that piece and praised Paterno for being a a great guy who is doing things things right and doesn't think winning is everything, etc. For some years I had the attitude that I hated losing to Penn State but at least we were losing to one of the "good guys" of the sport, so it wasn't so bad. I always rooted for Paterno's teams when he took on Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes because I thought those guys were jerks compared to him. Oh Lord

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom