people are too down on TD | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

people are too down on TD

I think TD can watch film and know exactly what needs to happen. I think it's different for him at game speed. It's not an intelligence issue. I can say I've always been the same way when playing sports (just less physically gifted). I used to think too much and was not as instinctual. It's just the way people are wired.

I've been critical of TD for it, but not because I think he doesn't try or want to do better. It just is what it is.

I think this is spot on.

We don't have a QB. I rather have the QB who got lucky with a TD than the QB who played two games and led us to 9 points on the year. You aren't winning either way but at least you scored a friggen TD. If Rex plays liek a broken clock we score 2 TDs a game. That is a vast improvement.
You're being kind to TD by crediting him 9 points when it was the defense getting the ball for him in FG range.

Think about how many times he scrambles right, and to his credit he does keep his eyes down field, but never actually passes to anyone. This goes back to last year too. Is it possible that there has never been anyone who has come open?

I think this is going to be something that haunts him in his goal to play on Sundays. He needs to start pulling the trigger.
He needs to pull the trigger faster, no doubt - like Rex did but with better accuracy. Meanwhile, it would be smart for the staff to give him quicker 'dink-n-dunk' plays to give the kid some confidence. Right now, our scheme is rewarding teams for chasing him instead of making them pay. That's coaching.

Last edited:
He needs to pull the trigger faster, no doubt - as we could see when Rex came in. However, it would be highly advisable for the staff to give him more 2-step drop / dink-n-dunk plays to give him the kid some confidence. We're rewarding teams that pin their ears back instead of making them pay. That's coaching.
Actually Rex in the last game of 2017 was 24 of 34 for 280 and 2 TD. Ish caught 11 for 187 and 1 TD. Phillips caught 8 for 65 and 1 TD. He hasn't forgotten how to throw but needs reps to get timing back.

He needs to pull the trigger faster, no doubt - as we could see when Rex came in. However, it would be highly advisable for the staff to give him more 2-step drop / dink-n-dunk plays to give him the kid some confidence. We're rewarding teams that pin their ears back instead of making them pay. That's coaching.
Regardless of what the offense calls for, I want the coaches to give him less to read, if they're going to continue to go with him.

The QB for Tennessee the year Lane Kiffin coached them had a similar problem. Pat Summitt actually recognized it when he struggled early in the season and urged Lane to have him see a sports psychologist that she used with her players. What they determined was that if they gave him less to think about he had a better chance at success. The rest of the year they used a lot of designed roll outs so he didn't have to worry about the rush as much and he only had to read one side of the field. He wasn't suddenly an all world qb, but he had a solid year.

It may not look exactly the same for TD, but they need to take some decisions out of his hands and help him get rid of the ball, if he's gonna keep playing.

Actually Rex in the last game of 2017 was 24 of 34 for 280 and 2 TD. Ish caught 11 for 187 and 1 TD. Phillips caught 8 for 65 and 1 TD. He hasn't forgotten how to throw but needs reps to get timing back.
Back when we were still throwing the short pressure relief passes to Phillips. That ypc number won't set your hair on fire but kept the ball moving in the right direction and complemented the big plays to Ish (who also caught his fair share of short passes too).

Back when we were still throwing the short pressure relief passes to Phillips. That ypc number won't set your hair on fire but kept the ball moving in the right direction and complemented the big plays to Ish (who also caught his fair share of short passes too).
And the offense was scoring TD's even when Eric couldn't play, but had some terrible defenses.

Regardless of what the offense calls for, I want the coaches to give him less to read, if they're going to continue to go with him.

The QB for Tennessee the year Lane Kiffin coached them had a similar problem. Pat Summitt actually recognized it when he struggled early in the season and urged Lane to have him see a sports psychologist that she used with her players. What they determined was that if they gave him less to think about he had a better chance at success. The rest of the year they used a lot of designed roll outs so he didn't have to worry about the rush as much and he only had to read one side of the field. He wasn't suddenly an all world qb, but he had a solid year.

It may not look exactly the same for TD, but they need to take some decisions out of his hands and help him get rid of the ball, if he's gonna keep playing.
I'm not sure that's an option in this offense. Soooo much is decided at the LOS and hot read recognition. In theory, they take what the defense gives them. Not sure TD has made many correct reads in either game.

I would love to see the staff simplify the playbook and run Morgan out there and be a pure duel threat QB. Reports are that he has WR-type speed. Anything would be better than watching the schit show of the last two weeks.

Last edited:
I think if they get inside the 10 again they should run wildcat.

Exactly. Kid comes in cold and gets sporadic drives. What is to be expected. But I will go down in a blaze with Rex playing his damn heart out every week, regardless of record. Be competitive.

He needs to pull the trigger faster, no doubt - like Rex did but with better accuracy. Meanwhile, it would be smart for the staff to give him more '2-step drop' / 'dink-n-dunk' plays to give the kid some confidence. As it is, we're rewarding teams for chasing him instead of making them pay. That's coaching.
He's in a shotgun. There is no need for a quick 2 step drop when you can throw a quick pass right from the snap.

He's in a shotgun. There is no need for a quick 2 step drop when you can throw a quick pass right from the snap.
The point was not literally a 'drop' (unless he's under center), but a quicker style of offense: 2-step, dink-n-dunk, etc. Ball needs to be out of his hands right away, and for that to happen, we should be running shorter distance plays with close-in receivers (TE's, Slots or RB's).

Last edited:
The point was not literally a 'drop', but a quicker style of offense: 2-step, dink-n-dunk, etc. Ball needs to be out of his hands right away, and for that to happen, we need run shorter distance plays where receivers (TE's, Slots or RB's) are close.
Ok, I'll take that.

I'm not sure that's an option in this offense. Soooo much is decided at the LOS and hot read recognition. In theory, they take what the defense gives them. Not sure TD has made many correct reads in either game.

I would love to see the staff simplify the playbook and run Morgan out there and be a pure duel threat QB. Reports are that he has WR-type speed. Anything would be better than watching the schit show of the last two weeks.
Well maybe it needs to be an option. In the past we had an offense that hummed as long as we had an amazing QB that made it all work. Once we didn't, it fell flat on its face. Do we have another offense like that now? We need to find a way to make a less than allstar QB function in an offense adequately to generate a few points. I'm not demanding Bayloresque numbers. Just middle of the pack. Combining that with the defense we've played the first two week gives us a chance at 2-0.

But I wouldn't mind seeing him come under center and throw some passes where he barely drops back at all. I think we've done that before, mostly on the goal line after we had tempo going.

Last edited:
Just brutal. Not sure what’s going on, but first drive he was firing and trusting his receivers (2 drops). Then he gets pure deer in headlights, sacks and poor play.

Completely disheartening.

Exactly. Kid comes in cold and gets sporadic drives. What is to be expected. But I will go down in a blaze with Rex playing his damn heart out every week, regardless of record. Be competitive.
I agree about being competitive but our coach didn't compete yesterday so I can't fault any player who doesn't. Dino needs to address (he won't I know) we the program supporters need it. Also everyone remember this when we get his next lecture on leaving early, etc. He quit yesterday. I am done. I support the players, the adults in the room have lost me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom