People we were 8-5 last year, anyone who thinks we haven't turned | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

People we were 8-5 last year, anyone who thinks we haven't turned

Jefferson has 3 catches all year and none the last two games. I don't know or care which one is faster, stronger, or can jump higher. What I do know is that Provo is the better and more talented TE.

Kind of what I was thinking of Coleman yesterday. Certainly looks the part. He's tall, fast. But does that make him talented considering he doesn't have thumbs? Not to me. But if he does grow thumbs, look out.

Anyone who truly thinks Marrone or Hackett should be fired after yesterday is a moron. I'm as frustrated as the next person with some of Hackett's decisions yesterday, but he's going to make mistakes as a young OC and he will learn from them. If he continues to make the same mistakes, then it's time to get into the replacement discussion.

I still see us as a 7-5/8-5 team this year. I think we had to go 5-1 in the first 6 to go 8-4/9-4, but we're 3-2, Tulane, UCONN, and L'ville are winnable games, and I see us stealing one or two from USF, WVU, Pitt, or Cincy.

very smart move. changing the subjects was a brilliant move b/c you dug yourself quite a hole bragging about the 2010 competition.

I thought only liberals were involved in revisionist history - are you a closet liberal?

why is it that if you question Marrone, it means you want him fired? I said he isn't the guy. really meant probably isn't the guy. Doesn't mean fire him today. Tristan thinks the answer is spend a bundle and hire a big, big name. He is wrong on that. We need a football coach. I wanted Marrone to be that guy but this whole week, he made me ill. Every team has injuries. I have never seen a coach whine about it like he did. Never. I never got the sense that he wanted to just take that game and stuff it. It was always a little , okay the clock is running and we have a 10 point lead. I was very surprised all week by Doug. I can't believe some of you weren't.

why is it that if you question Marrone, it means you want him fired? I said he isn't the guy. really meant probably isn't the guy. Doesn't mean fire him today. Tristan thinks the answer is spend a bundle and hire a big, big name. He is wrong on that. We need a football coach. I wanted Marrone to be that guy but this whole week, he made me ill. Every team has injuries. I have never seen a coach whine about it like he did. Never. I never got the sense that he wanted to just take that game and stuff it. It was always a little , okay the clock is running and we have a 10 point lead. I was very surprised all week by Doug. I can't believe some of you weren't.

If you feel he "isn't the guy", wouldnt you inherently want him fired? Why would you want a guy to be your head coach who "isnt the guy"?

For the record, you're nuts.

As of Sunday and Monday he was looking at having Reddish and Desir sharing the spot opposite Scott and nobody behind them. His third safety is Joe Nassib. My guess is that you haven't seen Joe Nassib. No wonder he was a little stressed.

And I never saw him whine about injuries, he was going out of his way to explain why he was cutting everyone off. That was it.

I'm nuts because I question whether Marrone is the right guy. You are a complete fool. What player has he recruited that has helped our offense in a big way? Name one? 2 recruiting classes. I mean, someone has to play no matter how bad you are and we haven't got one player who we can really depend on from Marrone. That is worth questioning. I am not saying fire him today. Never have. I am willing to let him change my mind. Maybe he is the right guy. I need a little more then a weak 8-5. So far, i haven't got what I need. I guess you guys have seen enough to be convinced.

Based on the we went to a bowl game last year and turned the corner theory, if we fail to make a bowl game this year, does it mean we're regressing?

I'm nuts because I question whether Marrone is the right guy. You are a complete fool. What player has he recruited that has helped our offense in a big way? Name one? 2 recruiting classes. I mean, someone has to play no matter how bad you are and we haven't got one player who we can really depend on from Marrone. That is worth questioning. I am not saying fire him today. Never have. I am willing to let him change my mind. Maybe he is the right guy. I need a little more then a weak 8-5. So far, i haven't got what I need. I guess you guys have seen enough to be convinced.

But don't give me the "he's not the guy" stuff and also say you don't want him fired. Thats whats nuts. That doesn't make any sense. If he's not the right guy, he should be fired. Make up your mind. Sounds like you are just being a reactionary fan coming off of a terribly coached game (which it obviously was).

Based on the we went to a bowl game last year and turned the corner theory, if we fail to make a bowl game this year, does it mean we're regressing?

Not necessarily. I think most of us saw the schedule this year (slightly harder than last year) and the losses on Defense and Offense (Sales and Carter) and realized that it would be a struggle to get to 6-6. Fluctuations in schedule and team make-up need to be factored into expectations. If you are always expecting a better year than the last, I think you either don't watch sports or are the pie-in-the-sky, we should win a national title in year 5 type of fan.

Not necessarily. I think most of us saw the schedule this year (slightly harder than last year) and the losses on Defense and Offense (Sales and Carter) and realized that it would be a struggle to get to 6-6. Fluctuations in schedule and team make-up need to be factored into expectations. If you are always expecting a better year than the last, I think you either don't watch sports or are the pie-in-the-sky, we should win a national title in year 5 type of fan.
I'll put my knowledge of sports against anybody's. I simply asked a question. Most on here were ready to anoint Marrone as the second coming based on last year. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but his limited body of work makes it hard to judge him either way. I'll admit, I have my doubts with the guy and it's not just because of what happened yesterday. I hope he proves me wrong. That said, if he doesn't improve and upgrade recruiting, this type of play will be the norm. The schedule will start getting that much tougher with the move to the ACC. I don't see how we compete unless we seriously improve the roster.

I'll put my knowledge of sports against anybody's. I simply asked a question. Most on here were ready to anoint Marrone as the second coming based on last year. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but his limited body of work makes it hard to judge him either way. I'll admit, I have my doubts with the guy and it's not just because of what happened yesterday. I hope he proves me wrong. That said, if he doesn't improve and upgrade recruiting, this type of play will be the norm. The schedule will start getting that much tougher with the move to the ACC. I don't see how we compete unless we seriously improve the roster.

I'm not sure you can really question defensive recruiting. Offensive, certainly not nearly as good to this point (though I wish Gulley wasn't hurt). But how much of the so-so recruiting be blamed on our horrid facilities and the still lingering Grob stench?

I think the ACC move (which should allow for more money to upgrade facilities) and the slow removal of the stench of Grob sets us up improvement in recruiting. To me, the results of the Marrone era to this point have been fantastic. Yesterday, certainly wasn't his best effort though thats for sure.

Honestly, I don't know. But at some point we have to stop using GROB as the excuse for everything. Recruiting has improved from the GROB years, but not by all that much. If Doug insists on making NY his focal point, he better start winning the battles of the states elite, and so far he hasn't done that. The roster as it is would have a hard time winning and competing in the ACC. Just not enough speed or playmakers.

Honestly, I don't know. But at some point we have to stop using GROB as the excuse for everything. Recruiting has improved from the GROB years, but not by all that much. If Doug insists on making NY his focal point, he better start winning the battles of the states elite, and so far he hasn't done that. The roster as it is would have a hard time winning and competing in the ACC. Just not enough speed or playmakers.

I agree that GROB needs to stop being used as an excuse but I'm not sure that time has come yet when half of the roster are Grob guys.

It's called having an open mind Cuseman. I am willing to have him change my mind. He can start by recruiting good players and not blaming the lack of fans for not doing so. even g-rob didn't do that. He can double that by not looking like a mess game week. I can't think of a sucessful coach that does that. And I can't believe that you can't understand why I can question ( not believe) that he is the right guy but not being ready to fire him. I have fired a lot of people in my time. Sad part of being an executive. I didn't do it, nor do I know any executive that does it, when you firt start thinking the guy might not be the guy. You want the guy to do well and change your mind. The recruiting, the excuses about the recruiting and this week have really surprised me.

Are you talking about me being a liberal? By the way, if being a liberal is opposed to the guys that call themseleves conservatives on the politics board, I guess I am. If being a liberal is not being able to support the sad group that are running on the red side, i guess I am a liberal. Of course, I didn't vote for Obama. But let's not let facts get in the way.

I agree that GROB needs to stop being used as an excuse but I'm not sure that time has come yet when half of the roster are Grob guys.

Actually I think we have about 77 players on the scholarhip roster right now (not including the walk ons who earned one this year), and by my count only 17 of them are GRob recruits. 11 of them are guys who see the field.

To me, the results of the Marrone era to this point have been fantastic.
He's 15 and 15 with 4 gimme wins over lower division opponents.

I am just now coming to grips with how low the bar is set by some of you.

I'm at a loss for words, but if 15 and 15 = fantastic to some I guess I need to grab a thesaurus and see if fantastic is synonymous with some words I normally wouldn't expect.

He's 15 and 15 with 4 gimme wins over lower division opponents.

I am just now coming to grips with how low the bar is set by some of you.

I'm at a loss for words, but if 15 and 15 = fantastic to some I guess I need to grab a thesaurus and see if fantastic is synonymous with some words I normally wouldn't expect.

I guess you didn't turn on the TV during the Grob era. We were the worst BCS team for 4 years running. 15-15 with a bowl win is fantastic in my book. Expectations obviously are ratcheted up going forward, but I try to deal in reality. I'm not sure what record you expected after 30 games.

I guess you didn't turn on the TV during the Grob era. We were the worst BCS team for 4 years running. 15-15 with a bowl win is fantastic in my book. Expectations obviously are ratcheted up going forward, but I try to deal in reality. I'm not sure what record you expected after 30 games.
15-15 is never fantastic, especially with the schedule we've played. The Grob era is done and has been done for a few years now. We play in a dome and have one of the most plodding and dull offensive teams I've ever seen. Maybe Doug turns things around, maybe he doesn't. I just don't get how anyone can be convinced that he's THE Guy based on what we've seen. We're a lot closer to being 1-4 than most want to admit.

Maybe Doug turns things around, maybe he doesn't.

I would argue he already has. He gave you a bowl game in year 2. A Grob coached team last year wins 4 games max.

Enough about GROB, his days are long gone. And to be fair to him, didn't we ride some of his recruits to the vaunted Bowl game you keep bringing up? Are we improved from what we were? Yeah, but like someone else mentioned, you have the bar set pretty low. We're still one of the more vanilla teams in the country. Our skill position guys are almost always overmatched and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Then I think your book is not a book I want to read, good sir!

Yup, I just went there.

Try to deal in reality. %$&#in' gimme a break.

Reality is that his career record is 11 and 15 against FBS teams, his teams perform horribly in the Dome, and with the exception of the Pinstripe bowl the offense that gets rolled out is among the worst in college football. If not for Scott Shafer there isn't a whole lot of accomplishment yet to the tenure. That's reality.