Per Teel ACC Tourney could be played at Barclays Center | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Per Teel ACC Tourney could be played at Barclays Center

Brooklyn may be okay for people who live in NYC or on the Island.. but it would not be for anyone else. MSG is so easy for people who take Amtrak or who live in CT, Westchester or New Jersey. Brooklyn, not so much. Plus, it doesnt have the infrastructure of Manhattan, e.g. hotels, restaurants, entertainment. Nah, not a good idea.

PLENTY of restaurants and some killer ones, especially in Park Slope. I see what you mean regarding the trains but if teams get bussed from a hotel to MSG then what's the big deal getting bussed to Brooklyn?

Brooklyn may be okay for people who live in NYC or on the Island.. but it would not be for anyone else. MSG is so easy for people who take Amtrak or who live in CT, Westchester or New Jersey. Brooklyn, not so much. Plus, it doesnt have the infrastructure of Manhattan, e.g. hotels, restaurants, entertainment. Nah, not a good idea.

It doesn't have the infrastructure of Manhattan but it is better than ATL, Charlotte, etc. and there are tons of restaurants and enough hotels in downtown Brooklyn.

Brooklyn is a stone's throw from 34th Street.
With all the transport lines designed especially for the new arena, its really a non-issue.
The question will be; " Do I go to Barclays and watch Duke v Syracuse, & UNC v Pitt... or MSG to watch Houston vs SMU"?
Hmmmmm...

If you're worried about getting to the ACC tournament in Brooklyn, remember that it could be worse. You could be worrying about getting to the C-USA tournament in Memphis.

When the ball on lies and fb schools split, the ACC needs to bump the BE out of MSG.

It doesn't have the infrastructure of Manhattan but it is better than ATL, Charlotte, etc. and there are tons of restaurants and enough hotels in downtown Brooklyn.

Good point. Barclays seems disappointing compared to the Garden, but it's still New York. Brooklyn is far superior to anyplace the ACC has held its tournament (no offense intended, DC crowd).

As for Pittsburgh, I enjoy visiting the place, love to catch a ballgame at PNC Park. But the ACC tournament, live from Pittsburgh, PA? No thanks.

Good point. Barclays seems disappointing compared to the Garden, but it's still New York. Brooklyn is far superior to anyplace the ACC has held its tournament (no offense intended, DC crowd).

As for Pittsburgh, I enjoy visiting the place, love to catch a ballgame at PNC Park. But the ACC tournament, live from Pittsburgh, PA? No thanks.
When we were in Pittsburgh for the NCAAs in March, the big banner in front of the team hotel said "Welcome to the NCAAs in Columbus, Ohio." And no one seemed to care (except for me, as I kept taking pictures of it).
I am not making this up. If I had more time, I would try to post a picture of it.

I am not sure Pitt is ready for prime time.

When we were in Pittsburgh for the NCAAs in March, the big banner in front of the team hotel said "Welcome to the NCAAs in Columbus, Ohio." And no one seemed to care (except for me, as I kept taking pictures of it).
I am not making this up. If I had more time, I would try to post a picture of it.

I am not sure Pitt is ready for prime time.

Gosh, that's not what you want to see. They've got some bugs to work out.

When the ball on lies and fb schools split, the ACC needs to bump the BE out of MSG.

Keep in mind, it will be 2019, at the earliest, before the ACC could play its tourney at Barclays. The A10 has a five-year deal to play there beginning in 2013.

Can someone refresh my memory as to when the BET's contract with MSG is up? I wanna say like 2015 or so?

Current BE-MSG deal goes through the 2016 tournament. Both parties are looking to re-up through 2026, per the NY Post. Although that might change, of course.

Keep in mind, it will be 2019, at the earliest, before the ACC could play its tourney at Barclays. The A10 has a five-year deal to play there beginning in 2013.
So, would that be '18? (A-10 in '13-'14-'15-'16-'17).

Current BE-MSG deal goes through the 2016 tournament. Both parties are looking to re-up through 2026, per the NY Post. Although that might change, of course.
That piece is 6 months old. For MSG's sake (and SU's), I hope they didn't finalize anything.

By David Teel
12:19 p.m. EDT, September 14, 2012
PITTSBURGH—
Approaching its 60th edition, the ACC basketball tournament has never been staged north of Landover, Md. But with a future alignment that includes Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame, plus current member Boston College, might that change?
Bids for the 2016-21 tournaments closed last month, and at least one Northeast venue wants in: Pittsburgh.

“We’d sure love to have it here,” Pederson said. “Pittsburgh’s proven it can do great things. The NCAA tournament sold out here in a short period of time. The city gets behind it. One of the things that’s great is you can stay downtown and walk to the games. … And thanks in large part to what Jamie’s done, people here are enthusiastic.”
Dixon has coached the Panthers to eight NCAA tournaments in nine seasons. He knows prying the ACC's signature event from its traditional base will be difficult, but hey, the league took the tournament to Tampa, Fla., in 2007, so why not the Northeast?
Pittsburgh’s competition will include southern staples such as Greensboro, N.C., Charlotte, N.C., and Atlanta. The event is booked for Greensboro, home to the conference office, for the next three years.
ACC officials declined to identify other bidding cities. They will discuss the options at next month's fall meeting in Boston.

Nothing says big time like having your conference tourney in Pittsburgh. Unless the ACC tourney moves to DC or NY, I'm not going to get too excited.

Nothing says big time like having your conference tourney in Pittsburgh. Unless the ACC tourney moves to DC or NY, I'm not going to get too excited.
The ACC tournament moves around. Since '00 it's been held in Washington once, Tampa once, Charlotte twice, Atlanta three times, and Greensboro five times. Starting next year and running through '15 it will be in Greensboro again. Places bid for the tournament.

The ACC tournament moves around. Since '00 it's been held in Washington once, Tampa once, Charlotte twice, Atlanta three times, and Greensboro five times. Starting next year and running through '15 it will be in Greensboro again. Places bid for the tournament.
I think we are all underestimating what the smell of honeysuckle and the feeling of rich soil between your toes is worth when determining where a college basketball tournament should be played.

The Argument for Greensboro

jesus. its four days out of your life. And Brooklyn doesnt have restaurants? Allow me to introduce you to a little place I like to call the River Cafe. Pizza? oh thats right brooklyn has the best pizzeria in NYC (grimaldis). Blue Ribbon Brooklyn?

Its a 20 min subway ride from Penn/Grand Central.

Suck it up.

Its an incredible idea.

jesus. its four days out of your life. And Brooklyn doesnt have restaurants? Allow me to introduce you to a little place I like to call the River Cafe. Pizza? oh thats right brooklyn has the best pizzeria in NYC (grimaldis). Blue Ribbon Brooklyn?

Suck it up.

Its an incredible idea.

Glad to hear you're on the Grimaldi's bandwagon Tristan. I don't always agree with you, but you're spot on with this one.

By 2015 A-10 will likely be playing in the Garden after they merge with the Big East.

Suck it up.

Its an incredible idea.
I don't do subways. I am very claustropophic about them ever since being stuck in one under the East River.

I don't do subways. I am very claustropophic about them ever since being stuck in one under the East River.
You should take the team bus. :)

Does adding Notre Dame increase the likelihood of the tournament being staged in the Northeast?
Good chance, with the most likely venue the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, home next season of the NBA’s Nets. The ACC already has accepted bids on the event for 2016-21 and will discuss them at next month’s fall meetings in Boston.
If I had to choose between Greensboro and Brooklyn, I know which one I would go with, honeysuckle be damned.

No way the ACC would ever go to NYC every year but if they were willing to commit to playing the ACC tournament in NYC every other year, I wonder if MSG would accept a contract where they hosted the BET and the ACC tournament in alternating years? The Big East could play at the Barclay's or the Rock in the years the ACC was playing at MSG. The A10 could have alternating sites too.

I think this could happen but only if the Big East splits into two conferences. Those conferences would be so much weaker than the ACC, and the interest in their tournaments so diminished that it could drive MSG to pursue a more complex arrangement...

That is the next big question. Will the Big East basketball schools split from the football schools? It was rumored for years that Syracuse and Notre Dame were the key schools holding the conference together. With both gone, can the conference possibly survive as one entity?

If MSG is prudent, they will not sign an extension on the agreement to host the BET until the Big East decides whether it is going to stay together.

In the end, I don't think the ACC is going to be willing to make a strong commitment like this. I sure wish it would though...

No way the ACC would ever go to NYC every year but if they were willing to commit to playing the ACC tournament in NYC every other year, I wonder if MSG would accept a contract where they hosted the BET and the ACC tournament in alternating years?
Every other year? Not happening.
Every 4th or 5th year? Maybe... probably more like every 8th year.

I suspect the best we'll see is Greensboro every other year and then alternating between a northern and southern city in the other years. In the North you'd have NYC & DC, in the South you'd have Atlanta and NO/Florida.