Perspective | Syracusefan.com

Perspective

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
12364353-large.jpg

Saturday Syracuse lost a basketball game to the Louisville Cardinals at the Carrier Dome.

Hours earlier on Comstock Avenue, a bright-eyed promising senior at Westhill High School lost her life.

That evening her schoolmates held a vigil outside the school.

The next day the boy's basketball team had a sectional championship at the Carrier Dome. Players and fans alike proceeded with heavy, heavy hearts.

Westhill would prevail on the court but before, during and after the game their thoughts were with the young lady and her family.

Sure we lost a basketball game on Saturday but everyone is alive and healthy and will have a chance to play another game.

There is always grief after loss, the loss that happened on Comstock is permanent, unchangeable and unbearable. The loss in the Dome while frustrating, isn't really a life tragedy. The players, coaches and fans can recover from that loss and live to enjoy their next victory.

For parents of victim of car-bus crash, another devastating loss

2013-03-03-classb4.jpg

"The Westhill team was playing with heavy hearts following the Saturday morning death of senior Anna Pullano, who was killed in a traffic accident. A moment of silence was held prior to the start of the game."

"We had a short practice yesterday. We all sat down and talked beforehand," King said. "It was very tough for the seniors, because they knew her personally."
Boys basketball: Westhill loses big lead, hangs on to win Class B sectional title

12364353-large.jpg

Saturday Syracuse lost a basketball game to the Louisville Cardinals at the Carrier Dome.

Hours earlier on Comstock Avenue, a bright-eyed promising senior at Westhill High School lost her life.

That evening her schoolmates held a vigil outside the school.

The next day the boy's basketball team had a sectional championship at the Carrier Dome. Players and fans alike proceeded with heavy, heavy hearts.

Westhill would prevail on the court but before, during and after the game their thoughts were with the young lady and her family.

Sure we lost a basketball game on Saturday but everyone is alive and healthy and will have a chance to play another game.

There is always grief after loss, the loss that happened on Comstock is permanent, unchangeable and unbearable. The loss in the Dome while frustrating, isn't really a life tragedy. The players, coaches and fans can recover from that loss and live to enjoy their next victory.

For parents of victim of car-bus crash, another devastating loss

2013-03-03-classb4.jpg

The Westhill team was playing with heavy hearts following the Saturday morning death of senior Anna Pullano, who was killed in a traffic accident. A moment of silence was held prior to the start of the game.

"We had a short practice yesterday. We all sat down and talked beforehand," King said. "It was very tough for the seniors, because they knew her personally."
Boys basketball: Westhill loses big lead, hangs on to win Class B sectional title

Nicely done Eyes, how sad that another young life is lost well before its prime. My fiance has a personal relationship with Anna's father and knows the whole family, its a very tragic situation and not the first time they have lost a child. Really puts the last few weeks of losing into perspective. Will likely be the hardest funeral I have ever had to attend.

Sometimes it would be nice for usas a society to mainatin perspective instead of needing tragedy like this to remind us. Prayers go out to the family.

As the father of a beautiful little girl, this absolutely rips my heart out. RIP Anna

Very sad. I was on Euclid that night right near the accident. Had no clue what was going on as far as the incident. You're right, there are things that are more important in life than just basketball. Prayers go out to her and her family.

Definetly needed every now and then. It sucks.

Over 1500 people were at the wake, my Fiance was in line for 3.5 hours, hundreds attended the funeral.

Very sad indeed...thoughts and prayers with go out to the family and the Westhill family.

Although I did know them and haven't been back to the Cuse in a while, moved away in 1990, etc...still hits a bit home for me, having graduated from Westhill.

Very proud of my high school on how they have handled this tragedy and extremely proud of the students!! GO WARRIORS!!!

Very sad indeed...thoughts and prayers with go out to the family and the Westhill family.

Although I did know them and haven't been back to the Cuse in a while, moved away in 1990, etc...still hits a bit home for me, having graduated from Westhill.

Very proud of my high school on how they have handled this tragedy and extremely proud of the students!! GO WARRIORS!!!
We are a Westhill family too, son & daughter graduated there in the early & mid 90's.

Very sad. Very beautiful, talented young girl. My heart goes out to the family.

The fact that this was a crash with a Centro bus seems a little strange. I've taken Centro buses for years to work and even up to games sometimes and, unless they are on freeways, they aren't normally traveling very fast. I was on two buses that had accidents and they were both fender-benders. I was surprised to hear of a fatal accident involving a Centro bus.

Just was told there was over 3,000 at the wake and hundreds of Westhill students a the funeral.

Very sad. Very beautiful, talented young girl. My heart goes out to the family.

The fact that this was a crash with a Centro bus seems a little strange. I've taken Centro buses for years to work and even up to games sometimes and, unless they are on freeways, they aren't normally traveling very fast. I was on two buses that had accidents and they were both fender-benders. I was surprised to hear of a fatal accident involving a Centro bus.

Very sad situation; I happen to know this girl's father and this is just a rotten thing to have happen.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. No one should ever be killed in a crash in an urban area. A couple things related to this crash sound pretty fishy. A bus traveling at 30 miles per hour (the speed limit on Comstock) doesn't usually kill someone in another vehicle.

This was preventable; everyone can learn from this sad incident. I hope the police and Centro are giving this the attention it deserves. No one should be killed by a car or bus on Comstock Avenue and we can all hope it doesn't happen again.