Perspective | Syracusefan.com

Perspective

runningorange

Walk On
Why we lost

1. We could not shoot. BC is terrible on defense and we got any look we wanted. We made what felt like less than 5 jump shots yesterday. We missed a bunch of bunnies as well. If the shooting returns to what is was a month ago we will be fine.

2. BC shot great. Our defense wasn't bad, they just hit a lot of 3's. It happens.

3. We let them dictate the tempo. This is the most concerning for me. Whoever we play, they dictate the tempo. I'm praying we aren't in a nail biter in the first round of the NCAAs because we let some mid major control the pace of the game. We are at worst a top 10 team that does not enforce its will on opponents. Probably our biggest concern.

4. Tired legs. Contributed to all of the above. Need to add Kieta back to the rotation to at least play 7. Also, play Roberson more (that horse has been thoroughly flogged though.. ha)

5. Looking ahead to Duke. We played hard but made uncharacteristic plays. Remember how flat we were against WF before the first Duke game? Same thing here except BC played better than Wake played that day (Wake played terrible).

Perspective

As I went to bed last night I was thinking about how I hadn't experienced this feeling since Michigan in the Final Four last year. As much as any loss is bad, this one doesn't end the season. All of our goals are still on the table, both regular season and post season. Its been a fun season and I think many great moments still lay ahead. Last years high of cutting the nets at the Verizon center would not have been as special without the low of getting humiliated there in the last game of the regular season. The team, coaches and players have given us many great moments and this is when they need our support as fans. They feel much worse about the loss than most of us, let's rally around the team and support them down the home stretch. I think we have the best fan base in the country, but that isn't shown by people supporting the team when they are 25 - 0. It is shown by support when we go through a rough stretch of poor play as we have recently. To any players and coaches who read this we are still behind you.

And now for some "deeper" perspective, no one died, no one's house burned down, we lost a February basketball game. Go play with your kids (if you have any), hug your wife (and thank her for understanding your love of Syracuse basketball) and forget about last night. Today is a new day.

Beat Duke on Saturday

Why we lost

1. We could not shoot. BC is terrible on defense and we got any look we wanted. We made what felt like less than 5 jump shots yesterday. We missed a bunch of bunnies as well. If the shooting returns to what is was a month ago we will be fine.

2. BC shot great. Our defense wasn't bad, they just hit a lot of 3's. It happens.

3. We let them dictate the tempo. This is the most concerning for me. Whoever we play, they dictate the tempo. I'm praying we aren't in a nail biter in the first round of the NCAAs because we let some mid major control the pace of the game. We are at worst a top 10 team that does not enforce its will on opponents. Probably our biggest concern.

4. Tired legs. Contributed to all of the above. Need to add Kieta back to the rotation to at least play 7. Also, play Roberson more (that horse has been thoroughly flogged though.. ha)

5. Looking ahead to Duke. We played hard but made uncharacteristic plays. Remember how flat we were against WF before the first Duke game? Same thing here except BC played better than Wake played that day (Wake played terrible).

Perspective

As I went to bed last night I was thinking about how I hadn't experienced this feeling since Michigan in the Final Four last year. As much as any loss is bad, this one doesn't end the season. All of our goals are still on the table, both regular season and post season. Its been a fun season and I think many great moments still lay ahead. Last years high of cutting the nets at the Verizon center would not have been as special without the low of getting humiliated there in the last game of the regular season. The team, coaches and players have given us many great moments and this is when they need our support as fans. They feel much worse about the loss than most of us, let's rally around the team and support them down the home stretch. I think we have the best fan base in the country, but that isn't shown by people supporting the team when they are 25 - 0. It is shown by support when we go through a rough stretch of poor play as we have recently. To any players and coaches who read this we are still behind you.

And now for some "deeper" perspective, no one died, no one's house burned down, we lost a February basketball game. Go play with your kids (if you have any), hug your wife (and thank her for understanding your love of Syracuse basketball) and forget about last night. Today is a new day.

Beat Duke on Saturday

I agree with a lot but it comes down to just making shots that we normally make. Thats really it. We didnt last night and could not overcome it. People kept saying that CJ had dead legs and that is why he missed shots. BS. Three or four shots he missed were from inside the foul line and he strong armed them every time. Sometimes you just go into a shooting slump and right now he cant make anything. Better now that a month from now.

I agree with a lot but it comes down to just making shots that we normally make. Thats really it. We didnt last night and could not overcome it. People kept saying that CJ had dead legs and that is why he missed shots. BS. Three or four shots he missed were from inside the foul line and he strong armed them every time. Sometimes you just go into a shooting slump and right now he cant make anything. Better now that a month from now.

He missed the rim or barely hit the rim far too often and that hurt the offensive rebounding along with the obvious plethora of misses.

He missed the rim or barely hit the rim far too often and that hurt the offensive rebounding along with the obvious plethora of misses.

In the second half yes. First half is what I was referring too.

CJ went 7-23. So how about the other 13 or 14 misses he made?

In the second half yes. First half is what I was referring too.

That my friend are often the result of tired legs. Hey, I love Fair but BC could just box out their own guy and double down on him because he had his head down and firing away at the rim. He pressed...tried to make too much out of his "advantage" and struggled mightily. Honestly, I put this on Boeheim more than the kid.

Why we lost

Perspective

Beat Duke on Saturday
I agree and believe the team needs our support more now than at any other time this season. Picking them apart is not going to help. What's in the past stays there, we learn from it and look ahead with optimism.

Go SU!!!

CJ went 7-23. So how about the other 13 or 14 misses he made?

I think he just pressed in the second half seeing he missed a lot of the shots in the first half he normally makes. He had a bad game. It happens

There are a lot of 'ifs' we can look at. If Grant makes more than 50% of his free throws, if Cooney isn't so timid and maybe draws a foul or 2, if our d wasn't so late getting out on their 3 point shooters...

I think we played poorly all the way around and our players looked tired. It's one loss but I'm not too optimistic about the upcoming dook game based on the last 2 games.

I agree and believe the team needs our support more now than at any other time this season. Picking them apart is not going to help. What's in the past stays there, we learn from it and look ahead with optimism.

Go SU!!!

I think that's the point. People are pointing out what has been a recurring theme so that we can learn from it and others shoot them down thinking this was an anomoly and the act of losing itself will fix everything.

We'll see if it's fixed at Duke, UVA, FSU, UMD.

Love that last paragraph. I was at a funeral on Sunday for a wonderful woman who is gone way too soon. I cried for the first time since my son was born 2 years ago albiet for obviously different reasons. I'm sure others on the board have had monumental moments good or bad this week as well. Having a bad shooting night and losing to bc in february? Barely raises my heart rate despite my love for things Syracuse.

Still control their own destiny to win the regular season ACC title, that's all you can ask for. To be honest, the key is beating Virginia and have the tie breaker.

If we make 25% of the layups we missed last night, we win going away. Sometimes the ball just doesn't fall. The same can be said about the sky this morning, contrary to many opinions here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom