Pet peeve: Can we make a concerted effort to remove the phrase | Syracusefan.com

Pet peeve: Can we make a concerted effort to remove the phrase

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
"score the basketball" from the English language. Since Wilt Chamberlain passed, do we really need to designate exactly what type of scoring a basketball player is doing.

"score the basketball" from the English language. Since Wilt Chamberlain passed, do we really need to designate exactly what type of scoring a basketball player is doing.
My pet peeve is "we're going to look at the film" and review the game. 16mm film was phased out of television news around 1966, when ENG video systems began being used. No basketball or football team has reviewed film since probably 1974-75, when U-matic 3/4" video became predominant. It would be pretty strange to see coaches and players sitting around watching reels of 16mm film being projected in 2012.

That, and "Three Ball". Don't know why, but I HATE that.

"you talk about" needs to be banished.

"you talk about great competitors, larru bird was a great competitor"

"you talk about big time plays, that was a big time play"

"you talk about large penises, corduroyg has the largest of them all"

mark jackson was the worst, everytime he made a point it would start with "talk about".

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

"you talk about" needs to be banished.

"you talk about great competitors, larru bird was a great competitor"

"you talk about big time plays, that was a big time play"

"you talk about large penises, corduroyg has the largest of them all"

mark jackson was the worst, everytime he made a point it would start with "talk about".

"I'm not saying..." and then they say the same thing they just said.

Steve Hyder made a living doing that, somehow.

you wanna talk about annoying, posting the same thing twice in a row is very annoying.

Golf is the worst imho! Golf shot, golf ball, golf chip, golf putt - they have to specify everything is golf!

"On a mission" - Actually, just get rid of Digger. That fixes that one.

"This kid is so big and strong, he should be a Safety in the NFL, this kid has linebacker written all over him!"

Golf is the worst imho! Golf shot, golf ball, golf chip, golf putt - they have to specify everything is golf!

football, as someone else mentioned, may be even worse.

"flat out"

This kid can flat out play
He can flat out shoot
He's a flat out hustler

"flat out"

This kid can flat out play
He can flat out shoot
He's a flat out hustler
How about "He's a gamer" or my favorite, "This kid came to play". Really, I thought he came to sit on the bench. Or better yet, he came to sit in the stands with us schmucks.

Tim McCarver had a great comeback for when somebody "runs well". "I run well. I just do it slowly."

One time announcers got tired of saying a player was a "good contact" hitter" and said instead said "he's a good bat on ball hitter". It beats being a nose on ball hitter.

With all the kids college basketball players seem to be having these days, I think keeping the phrase "score the basketball" might be a good idea. Saying "these guys need to score" might have the wrong connotation.

I would be happy if people could use the expressions "irony" and "sour grapes" correctly.

How about, "Mark it down"

An expression sometimes used in the first half to describe a play that might later come back to haunt the offending team.:confused:

I dislike when players are referred to as "warriors".....why, because they play a game hard for forty minutes or sometimes play through bumps and bruises?? Maybe instead we just refer to players that don't play hard for 40 minutes as half-asses or dogs and call the guys that play hard for 40 minutes players.

I hate when baseball announcers say "he has good wood on it"

Just seems like something travolta would say to a masseuse these days.