Pet peeve: Can we make a concerted effort to remove the phrase | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pet peeve: Can we make a concerted effort to remove the phrase

"hes got his game face on"

bobby knight loves that one

I think that is Bobby calling every other player a , not really a cliche!

willie_horton.jpg

SWC: "Willie hit two in the first Chiefs game my Dad ever took me to"

The Chief's had a great team back then. There were quite a few of who made major contributions in defeating the Cardinals in the 1968 World Series.

On Willie's birthday my best friend presented Horton with a life sized stuffed bear. Dave took it down to the dugout before the game. I'll never forget the big smile on Willie's face.

Other top players on that Syracuse Chiefs team were Jim Northrup (the Silver Fox), Mickey Stanley the outfielder who had to play shortstop because of injuries to the starter , Denny McClain 31 game winner, Mickey Lolich, reliever John Hiller who had heart trouble, husky Gates Brown, Ray Oyler Tommy Matchick, Wayne Comer and Don Wert.

Harry Carey & Curt Gowdey on the call
Here's some game seven footage

willie_horton.jpg

SWC: "Willie hit two in the first Chiefs game my Dad ever took me to"

The Chief's had a great team back then. There were quite a few of who made major contributions in defeating the Cardinals in the 1968 World Series.

On Willie's birthday my best friend presented Horton with a life sized stuffed bear. Dave took it down to the dugout before the game. I'll never forget the big smile on Willie's face.

Other top players on that Syracuse Chiefs team were Jim Northrup (the Silver Fox), Mickey Stanley the outfielder who had to play shortstop because of injuries to the starter , Denny McClain 31 game winner, Mickey Lolich, reliever John Hiller who had heart trouble, husky Gates Brown, Ray Oyler and Don Wert.

Harry Carey & Curt Gowdey on the call
Here's some game seven footage

The 1964 Syracuse Chiefs: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/team.cgi?id=238ef220

I saw them beat the Atlanta Crackers, who were a farm team of the Twins that year. The next year they became a farm team of the braves. The year after that, they became the Braves. Willie hit two dingers but Mack Jones hit one over the Elm Trees, at about the 375 mark. That was the day I became a baseball fan.

The 1964 Syracuse Chiefs: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/team.cgi?id=238ef220

I saw them beat the Atlanta Crackers, who were a farm team of the Twins that year. The next year they became a farm team of the braves. The year after that, they became the Braves. Willie hit two dingers but Mack Jones hit one over the Elm Trees, at about the 375 mark. That was the day I became a baseball fan.
Sure I remember big Mack. Lots of names in that list that stir memories, Fred Gladding, Wally Post, Bill Roman, Tom Timmerman, Bob Dustal and Willie Smith besides the obvious ones. As I recall Wille was a converted outfielder, he hit so well as a pitcher they wanted him in the line up everyday. Back when he did pitch they used him from time to time as a pinch hitter. I remember thinking how embarrased I'd be if they used a pitcher to pinch hit for me.

Anybody else remember Jim Lyttle's great catch in center field in the 1969 Governors Cup ? I was there...super game.

Yankee farm club then. Frank Verdi manager. Frank Tepedino, Hal Reniff, Matt Galante, Rob Gardner. Thurman was with them for a few games.

It's not sports related, but I hate it whenever someone says "At any rate..."

it's a filler that means nothing now, akin to "UMMMM"

Anybody else remember Jim Lyttle's great catch in center field in the 1969 Governors Cup ? I was there...super game.

Yankee farm club then. Frank Verdi manager. Frank Tepedino, Hal Reniff, Matt Galante, Rob Gardner. Thurman was with them for a few games.
My wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, went to all the games back then. As I remember it we had to put on a late season run to make the playoffs. We did and I vowed to go to every game. Do you remember Frank Baker's home run over the double tiered scoreboard in right center field. It was very dramatic. We sat just above the box seats between the dugout and backstop on the third base side.

We called him home run Baker after that which was funny because he wasn't a noted power hitter. Tepedino was around 17 when he signed with the Yankees. Verdi was a great manager. Hal Reniff, believe it or not was on my committee to get a domed stadium that year. I have a picture of him and I that was taken for a story September 25, 1969. Matt Galante was about 5'5" but not a very friendly guy. Rob Gardner's fastball couldn't break a pane of glass but he had great stuff. He was from Binghamton NY. We beat Columbus four games to one. We then played in the triple A World Series defeating Indianapolis on the road. We went to Hancock to greet the team. Rob Gardner was waiting for his wife to pick him up and we got a chance to know him.

govcup.jpg

For the record Syracuse won the cup in 35, 42, 43, 47 & 54 so it had been a 15 year drought. We had lost in the finals in 46, 48, 51 and 64.

After 1969 we won it again in 1970 & 1976 losing in the finals in 74, 75, 79, 89 and 94.

Only Rochester (10) and Columbus (9) have won it more than the 8 times Syracuse has.

The trophy, which is made of mostly of solid silver and is now housed in the Hall of Fame, is worth is over $3000.

My wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, went to all the games back then. As I remember it we had to put on a late season run to make the playoffs. We did and I vowed to go to every game. Do you remember Frank Baker's home run over the double tiered scoreboard in right center field. It was very dramatic. We sat just above the box seats between the dugout and backstop on the third base side.

We called him home run Baker after that which was funny because he wasn't a noted power hitter. Tepedino was around 17 when he signed with the Yankees. Verdi was a great manager. Hal Reniff, believe it or not was on my committee to get a domed stadium that year. I have a picture of him and I that was taken for a story September 25, 1969. Matt Galante was about 5'5" but not a very friendly guy. Rob Gardner's fastball couldn't break a pane of glass but he had great stuff. He was from Binghamton NY. We beat Columbus four games to one. We then played in the triple A World Series defeating Indianapolis on the road. We went to Hancock to greet the team. Rob Gardner was waiting for his wife to pick him up and we got a chance to know him.

govcup.jpg

For the record Syracuse won the cup in 35, 42, 43, 47 & 54 so it had been a 15 year drought. We had lost in the finals in 46, 48, 51 and 64.

After 1969 we won it again in 1970 & 1976 losing in the finals in 74, 75, 79, 89 and 94.

Only Rochester (10) and Columbus (9) have won it more than the 8 times Syracuse has.

The trophy, which is made of mostly of solid silver and is now housed in the Hall of Fame, is worth is over $3000.

We beat Omaha. Jack McKeon was their manager and Fran Healy their catcher. That was in 1970. There was no JWS in 1969.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_World_Series

My memory of the Baker home run is that, after the fire that took out the stands behind home plate, the financial situation was that we were going to lose the team unless we made it to the Governor's Cup Finals - that plus sell-out crowds for the available seats would keep the team afloat. Baker's home run insured the franchise would remain alive. The stadium was finally rebuilt in 1976 with seats from the old Yankee Stadium, which had just been renovated.

Baker was already being called "Home Run Baker" before that as a joking reference to his lack of power and because he had the same name as Hall of Famer Frank Baker, who had that nickname:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bakerfr01.shtml
When Frank hit the big one, over the scoreboard, he seemed to be channeling his namesake and the nickname was his forever, at least around here.

So my mind merged 69 & 70 and I got the wrong opponent. Was I there with my wife?

OE..yup I remember Baker's home run. That was a great baseball game. the reason Lyttle's catch made the impression it did on me is because I fancied myself a great fielding center fielder and thought that it was a catch that I would have made. The dreams of youth.

That was a great clutch catch.

My brother and I were sitting a little further down the 3rd base line...just past 3rd base.