Pete Thamel is a d***. | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel is a d***.

OrangeCrush22

All American
http://twitter.com/#!/PeteThamelNYT

"I'd imagine Pitt's complaints about Graham's exit have elicited a few belly laughs from Big East headquarters."

"Any notion the ACC took Pitt and Cuse for football is laughable. Cuse lost 5 straight to end year. Pitt on fourth coach in a year."

"Pitt and Syracuse football right now are valuable for inventory only. No identity. No stars. No buzz. Lots of empty seats."

So SU and Pitt have no identity, stars, or buzz. But f@cking San Diego State, SMU, Houston, and UCF do?

"I'd imagine Pitt's complaints about Graham's exit have elicited a few belly laughs from Big East headquarters."

"Any notion the ACC took Pitt and Cuse for football is laughable. Cuse lost 5 straight to end year. Pitt on fourth coach in a year."

"Pitt and Syracuse football right now are valuable for inventory only. No identity. No stars. No buzz. Lots of empty seats."

So SU and Pitt have no identity, stars, or buzz. But f@cking San Diego State, SMU, Houston, and UCF do?

I don't think he's comparing the replacements to those leaving.

But he did come off a little bitter in those tweets. Especially for an SU alum. Sounded like one of the I'm going to miss the Big East basketball rivalries types. Which is fine. As long as they realize the hoops league we're leaving looks quite different from the hoops league they originally fell in love with.

Pretty much a true statement. But the move to the ACC was more than just about football.

I don't think he's comparing the replacements to those leaving.

But he did come off a little bitter in those tweets. Especially for an SU alum. Sounded like one of the I'm going to miss the Big East basketball rivalries types. Which is fine. As long as they realize the hoops league we're leaving looks quite different from the hoops league they originally fell in love with.

I'm actually in complete agreement with everything he said and, if his tone is bitter b/c of the lost hoops rivalries, I'm good with that too (yes, I'm angry that my local rivalry is now Maryland and won't allow me to just metro to china town to drink heavily and make fun of g'town fans).

But, regardless, those are all true statements, right?

He's spot on 100% right. The only people who would disagree with those statements are Pitt and SU homers...

San Diego State, SMU, Houston, and UCF are not going to the ACC.

...even coach K said 'Cuse and Pitt (substitute Uconn here for Pitt) was for bolstering the bball teams...ACC did not want to be second child to BE in bball since that is its strength...coach K then went on to say additional additions should be for football side of conference...ergo reason to want ND...not so much for its field playing now but its following...team with ND is up in air...otherwise probably no #15 and #16

No. Saying it's laughable that we were taken for football is not a true statement. As we were taken for football, and every other sport. The ACC gets two name brands, a new TV contract, better basketball, etc.

We were taken for more than just football. So in a sense he's right.

No. Saying it's laughable that we were taken for football is not a true statement. As we were taken for football, and every other sport. The ACC gets two name brands, a new TV contract, better basketball, etc.

We were taken for more than just football. So in a sense he's right.

I'm not sure what you're saying? We were taken for more than just football, I agree. But his point was that we certainly weren't selected because of our football. I think he's suggesting that we're a miserable football program (true) with little ability to generate buzz even when we're "good" (also true). Listen, I love the cuse but Cuse football is either a joke or a complete non-entity to most of America not registered on this board (my wife included).

Where did he say that SDSU, SMU, Houston and UCF have identity, buzz and stars?

Pitt and SU bring a football brand and history that is more rich and valuable than any other in the Big East. Pitt and SU each have a Heisman and championship, something that even WVU will likely never obtain. Right now our football brands are a level or two above a joke.

Regardless, we're in the ACC and that's all that matters.

The ACC did add Pitt and SU for FB. Both schools are the BE's biggest FB brands. PT always takes shots at SU FB.

The ACC did add Pitt and SU for FB. Both schools are the BE's biggest FB brands. PT always takes shots at SU FB.

I don't discount the fact that both Pitt and SU are credible football programs and that factor played into the decision. But it would seem to me that SU was selected more for the fact that it has an elite basketball program in tow as well as good academics and the proper location.

I find it hard to believe that anyone believes the cuse has a noteworthy "brand" in college football. I can say this b/c, in a completely non-scientific fashion, II have done a poll of all my buddies from college who are from and/or live in the NY/NJ/Conn area. Number of those buddies that have any clue what SU football is up to? 0. I grew up upstate and of all of my high school buddies I have two that still pay attention to SU football. This is a program that doesn't sell out a 50,000-seat stadium for big games, doesn't travel at all, doesn't deliver a large TV audience (not that many CFB programs do, IMO) and has a terrible game-day atmosphere.

I love cuse football, but it was in no way, shape or form a factor in the ACC decision beyond the simple fact of "it's a credible BCS level program on some level."

I don't discount the fact that both Pitt and SU are credible football programs and that factor played into the decision. But it would seem to me that SU was selected more for the fact that it has an elite basketball program in tow as well as good academics and the proper location.

I find it hard to believe that anyone believes the cuse has a noteworthy "brand" in college football. I can say this b/c, in a completely non-scientific fashion, II have done a poll of all my buddies from college who are from and/or live in the NY/NJ/Conn area. Number of those buddies that have any clue what SU football is up to? 0. I grew up upstate and of all of my high school buddies I have two that still pay attention to SU football. This is a program that doesn't sell out a 50,000-seat stadium for big games, doesn't travel at all, doesn't deliver a large TV audience (not that many CFB programs do, IMO) and has a terrible game-day atmosphere.

I love cuse football, but it was in no way, shape or form a factor in the ACC decision beyond the simple fact of "it's a credible BCS level program on some level."

If we had Cincy's BBall program instead of ours, I think we would still have been chosen. Our FB program is not in good shape right now but it is the strongest brand. You cannot build brand overnight and thankfully you cannot destroy it over night either.

I'm actually in complete agreement with everything he said and, if his tone is bitter b/c of the lost hoops rivalries, I'm good with that too (yes, I'm angry that my local rivalry is now Maryland and won't allow me to just metro to china town to drink heavily and make fun of g'town fans).

They are certainly true, but a little short sighted too, right? Wouldn't you think the ACC, being the premier east coast league, would be something that could prop these storied programs back up quicker? The recruiting advantages it should give over Rutgers and UConn will start the process, as the recruits those schools have been able to land are the reason northeast football has become as watered down as it has.

ACC was looking for brand names, academic fits, and a certain geography. They got it all. They weren't looking for football powerhouses because there were none available. Any programs in better shape currently do not fit those 3 criteria, most are lucky to fit 1 of them. I'm sure they realize that right now SU isn't McNabb's SU, and Pitt isn't Marino's Pitt.

Oh, and we're still going to play G'Town. At least now we can be guaranteed every other year at Verizon. Current Big East could give you 2 on, 3 off, too big and unpredictable. Won't be there this year as it is.

As I've often said, win, win, win, win, win.

They are certainly true, but a little short sighted too, right? Wouldn't you think the ACC, being the premier east coast league, would be something that could prop these storied programs back up quicker? The recruiting advantages it should give over Rutgers and UConn will start the process, as the recruits those schools have been able to land are the reason northeast football has become as watered down as it has.

ACC was looking for brand names, academic fits, and a certain geography. They got it all. They weren't looking for football powerhouses because there were none available. Any programs in better shape currently do not fit those 3 criteria, most are lucky to fit 1 of them. I'm sure they realize that right now SU isn't McNabb's SU, and Pitt isn't Marino's Pitt.

Oh, and we're still going to play G'Town. At least now we can be guaranteed every other year at Verizon. Current Big East could give you 2 on, 3 off, too big and unpredictable. Won't be there this year as it is.

As I've often said, win, win, win, win, win.

It depends on how you interpret Thamel's comments. I guess I interpreted it to mean that the ACC wasn't taking these programs based solely or even largely based on football potential. They were looking to expand north and the two schools that made the most sense overall were Pitt and Cuse for a huge variety of reasons. And his theory seems to be that the success of the football programs was pretty far down on the list. I tend to agree with that. The baseline was "decent BCS program potential" and each meets (perhaps Pitt currently exceeds) that criteria.

If you interpret it to mean the BE feels it's better off football-wise w/o these two, then I can see why people would disagree. Also, as you point out, if he is insinuating that these two can't be successful in the ACC (even in the very near future), he's wrong about that as well.

And I just hope they actually continue to play G'town in hoops. I"m not sure I believe that they actually will. Getting to and from UMD and getting tix for those games is going to be a pain in the a$$ and put serious restrictions on my drinking (not that I"m drinking that often, but with three kids I look forward to getting out for those games).

If we had Cincy's BBall program instead of ours, I think we would still have been chosen. Our FB program is not in good shape right now but it is the strongest brand. You cannot build brand overnight and thankfully you cannot destroy it over night either.

I'm not entirely sure. You're probably right on the hoops thing, but I'd certainly suggest that the fact that they have an elite program in hoops and an iconic HOF coach helped their case.

How are you defining "brand" though? I know the football program has a strong history, but to me brand suggests attributes that are regionally and, preferably, nationally relevant. I mean everyone knows JB as an icon. Everyone knows Cuse hoops as a perennial contender and NCAA participant. Everyone respects the Dome as a tough place to play and a venue that routinely leads or is near the top of the attendance standings nationwide, etc.

Football -- for non-SU fans -- is McNabb and some great historic figures like Little or Davis. I'd argue the football program, due to the recent struggles, is closer to being a joke than a meaningful regional power or national presence. I mean, I certainly hope that changes, but at this point not even folks in Buffalo, 2 hours away, care about Cuse football.

Football -- for non-SU fans -- is McNabb and some great historic figures like Little or Davis. I'd argue the football program, due to the recent struggles, is closer to being a joke than a meaningful regional power or national presence. I mean, I certainly hope that changes, but at this point not even folks in Buffalo, 2 hours away, care about Cuse football.

You are wrong on that. There is a reason why the networks want to put SU FB on when we are decent. There is a reason why people question where has SU been? The SU FB program has a lot of respect nationally. If we keep this up it will go away, but for now other schools, fans, media types,etc still respect the program.

People outside of CNY think a lot more of SU FB than those in CNY.

His second tweet is stupid. Even if you're a moron that thinks a 5 game losing streak is relevant, the ACC took Syracuse before that losing streak.

Look, the big problem with Twitter is that people don't think fully before they write things and they can't cover a complete thought because of the character restrictions. Twitter is the Devil's invention.