Pete Thamel on Jim Rome Show | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel on Jim Rome Show

There are a lot of anti-baseball people, and even though I'm not one, I get it. It's not for everyone.

As unlikely as it seems, I do wonder if baseball were to start up in, say, June or July, would it get an early bump of its best ratings/popularity in recent history just because it's SOMETHING normal for people to latch on to?

I can almost hear it now...

5f6ea204c4dd53bf311c856f001cad8b.jpg

speaking of Field of Dreams, they are supposed to have that Yankees/White Sox game there in August, that is going to be very cool(if it still happens)

Football will be back this fall. It will be business as usual by summer. These end of days scenarios are a bit much.

I hope you're right. For the sake of the economy, people's jobs and livelihoods, and just general well being & sanity!

There will be football this Fall.

There may not be an NBA Draft in June, but there will be football...
Love the optimism, just your gut feeling? I personally think they will be able to improve treatments to the point that hospitalization and mortality rates are greatly reduced. At that point they can start to return. Will it be in time for fall seasons ?

There are a lot of anti-baseball people, and even though I'm not one, I get it. It's not for everyone.

As unlikely as it seems, I do wonder if baseball were to start up in, say, June or July, would it get an early bump of its best ratings/popularity in recent history just because it's SOMETHING normal for people to latch on to?

I can almost hear it now...

5f6ea204c4dd53bf311c856f001cad8b.jpg
This quote held an important role in my 5th year thesis while at SU Architecture. My design was a minor league ballpark in Hoboken, NJ... the birthplace of baseball.

My guess is no football or other fall sports seasons. Basketball will not start until late December or after Christmas break

Love the optimism, just your gut feeling? I personally think they will be able to improve treatments to the point that hospitalization and mortality rates are greatly reduced. At that point they can start to return. Will it be in time for fall seasons ?
On the bright side, testing is now available in numbers.
Treatments are in testing phases with preliminary success.
Science has discovered slow mutation of the disease. This should make it easier to right.
China had some success taking antibodies from a recovered patient and putting them in current patients, now being tested here in the States.
There are signs of a synthetic vaccine which may at least buy time while a medical vaccine is developed.
Isolation works to slow the spread, it's not perfect but it helps.
As the disease affects the young far less severe, with the above and continued improvements, some normalcy may be attained, such as schools reopening on schedule this fall.
Also, as people recover from the disease, they are likely to be immune from the disease a second time, though not yet confirmed. It is likely that people start going back to work, or at least more industry is deemed essential as time goes by.

Anyway, there are reasons to be hopeful. Sure, we should continue to abide by the temporary rules in place to get on top of the disease, but there is reason to hope and not panic. Besides, if people lose all hope, they throw caution to the wind and that leads to worse results.

The bigger deal with no football, is that it finances the athletic budget, and pays for every other sport to on campus. Without football there is no field hockey, soccer, rowing, tennis etc.

if there is college on campus there will be sports.. if the colleges dont get back to campus they will struggle to open at all in the fall.. You also can move the whole sport to oct start and still play a season.

College Football is most popular in the red states. They will play and dare the army and national guard to go back on their loyalty oaths.

The bigger deal with no football, is that it finances the athletic budget, and pays for every other sport to on campus. Without football there is no field hockey, soccer, rowing, tennis etc.
Your point is a fair point. If there is no football (or hoops, the other money making sport at most schools) the other sports played in the same season will not be played. The revenues are obviously decreased, but so are expenses, the major exception is the cost of attendance: Tuition, books, room, board. A point which is magnified a private schools. Good schools will honor their scholarship offers. State schools will likely do the same.

Another point which may decrease costs is that if students cannot physically attend classes, i.e. students forced to take online classes, room and board costs will be reduced.

This is not a perfect world, but good people do good things. I see SU doing right by their students. None of this lessens your point, just reduces the impact.

Lol they try to do something proactive for once and everyone jumps all over it. CFL starts super early. Why not. I hate having to wait so long for football

Your not gonna watch cause it’s August? Hot climates can kick off at 9PM local. Yes I’ll stay up until 3am to watch a P12 game.

This would probably help the student athletes finish the year well before finals and be able to focus on school I’m sure tons of folks are not having that.

Whoa, slow down. Will warmer weather slow this thing down? Maybe. Are they willing to make that bet?
Exactly. Countries like Thailand, Malaysia, and the Philippines are in lockdown mode currently. Those countries have winters that are hotter than the height of our summers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom