peter king tidbit about stadium sizes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

peter king tidbit about stadium sizes

BKCuse said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Dome has never even officially sold out??? We can def afford to lose some capacity but the exact numbers don't even matter, what sells kids on the Cuse game experience is the DOME. We'll never compete in sheer numbers but no one is even in the game with us when it comes to DOMES I would be happy with 44,044 capacity
Without knowing the "capacity" for each year it's hard to tell, but there are many games in the 49K and change, and the Dome has had a 49K and change capacity for years. Call it close enough?

A small decline in seats that keeps us in the 40s is fine with me. That's where we're often at for numbers anyway.

Many on here have said that the Done was built too big for its fanbase. Even if we got "elite" by today's standards, and expanded the capacity to 60k, the complaint about empty seats would just get worse.

If they do, they better replace them with something more efficient than what already exists! There's gotta be an engineer out there that will embrace the challenge...
you are correct and there are several innovative designs for pee troughs. some are very artful.

You do realize that our now gone AD changed the way that attendance is figured, right?

He said "we will deal in truth" and changed the numbers from tickets sold to turnstyle count or actual asses in seats. Which is not the way everybody else figures attendance. It also screwed us out of the average and total attendance titles in basketball.

Yup. I guess the positive is it sets us up for a large attendance "increase" this year, regardless. So next year these things can report that "Syracuse had one of the largest P5 attendance increases".

Baylor is happy with criminal s e x offenders on their roster, I would choose not to compare SU with that university in any way.

Oh god, chill out. Just comparing their seating capacity as a big 12 school with alot of recent success. Of course they are now a bunch of scumbags and not a team i will ever route for.

Alabama. Bench seats.
Notre Dame: Bench seats.
Ohio state: Bench seats.
Rose bowl: Bench seats
Michigan: Bench Seats.

Get over yourselves. This is just a few examples of what I think you will consider "top tier" programs no? Any google image search will show that these places have a majority of benches, and select small areas of "seats". One pic of Bryant Denny actually shows the seat add-ons like Syracuse already does.

So not a big deal to me. If they don't need it, why do we? I'd rather win like them.

Add the little school in Oklahoma to that list. OU has bench seating and it is packed! Winning is the issue. Win games, whatever stadium you have will fill up. Of course ticket prices matter. when losing, lower prices.

Yup. I guess the positive is it sets us up for a large attendance "increase" this year, regardless. So next year these things can report that "Syracuse had one of the largest P5 attendance increases".
Good point, hadn't thought about it that way. Let's just hope the new AD changes it back.

Good point, hadn't thought about it that way. Let's just hope the new AD changes it back.

I just assumed he would do that. Everyone else tracks attendance that way right?

Stephen Ross in Miami just put up around $450 mill of his own money out of pocket to renovate the Dolphins stadium, adding a roof and everything and he reduced capacity some. (He got rid of about 10,000 seats I believe and max capacity is 65,000 or so). He also made it state of the art with the luxury boxes and has living room suites close to the field.

The Bills problem isn't capacity, it's that the current stadium is a dump in the middle of nowhere and it is very outdated. The Bills need a new stadium, in a better location if possible, and it must be state of the art. It doesn't need to hold 80,000+ but 40,000 is too small and the NFL wouldn't even allow that I am guessing.

I just assumed he would do that. Everyone else tracks attendance that way right?
Every institution has a choice as to how they track it. Kentucky has to do some strange accounting to be close to our attendance. They count the band, the cheerleaders, the press, the stadium staff, and every other damn thing as attendance.

I'm really amazed that folks have an issue with bench seating that has a back rest.

It has never occurred to me that that is or could be an issue.

It certainly does not hurt basketball attendance.
Leg room is far important to me, but I doubt that is changing. They would probably have to rebuild the entire seating bowl to create the legroom that one might get at a modern stadium. It would be nice to not accidentally violate the people squeezing past me to get to their seats.

donniesyracuse said:
Leg room is far important to me, but I doubt that is changing. They would probably have to rebuild the entire seating bowl to create the legroom that one might get at a modern stadium. It would be nice to not accidentally violate the people squeezing past me to get to their seats.
Depends on what they look like!!

Depends on what they look like!!

image.jpeg
????????

I looked it up.

There are twenty college stadiums with a capacity of 80,000 or more.

And there a more with capacities of 70,000.

I am all for amenities and comfortable seats, but I never want Syracuse University Football to be perceived as a lower tier program.

And if you can only hold 40,000 fans you will be viewed by athletes as lower tier or certainly not upper tier.

This sounds pretty reductive to me, and not at all accurate. It's all about the noise. When the Dome was rocking in the 90s, nobody complained that we "only" had 47-49,000 people in there. They just knew it was deafening. Getting so hung up on pure attendance/capacity is a bit like worrying about dick size.

If baylor is happy with 45k , then we should be too. End of story. The 25-30k basketball crowdsare obscene and flat out dumb with 1/2 the crowd needing to watch the game on the big screen. 10k of those seats sold are in another zip code and only made available so we can boast hoops attendance numbers. There are plenty of aweful seats for hoops.

I'm pretty sure that Baylor built a new stadium - it did not reduce capacity of an existing stadium.

There is no need to reduce the capacity of the Carrier Dome.

There would only be a need if there were a groundswell of demand for expensive luxury boxes - and there is no such demand. Not even close.

So, from a math standpoint you don't reduce capacity. And, with a program that is now in a major conference with teams like Clemson and FSU coming to town you don't reduce capacity - you increase capacity.

And if your butt doesn't like the bench seats or the steel backing, I understand completely. The seats are uncomfortable at Penn State and Indiana, Rutgers, North Carolina, and almost every other college venue I have attended. If it is not comfortable, go watch the game at Tully's. They have really nice chairs and the lines for beer are really short.

And if you're suggesting that the BB capacity should be reduced to 18,000, then you really don't get what made the program a national program or how the size of the crowds gives Syracuse a trademark or what makes the 30,000 games so compelling.

We just disagree completely on this issue.

This sounds pretty reductive to me, and not at all accurate. It's all about the noise. When the Dome was rocking in the 90s, nobody complained that we "only" had 47-49,000 people in there. They just knew it was deafening. Getting so hung up on pure attendance/capacity is a bit like worrying about dick size.

It was actually 49,000+.

And I never heard anybody complaining that the Dome held too many fans or that capacity should be reduced.

I guess you think about dick size way more than I do. That topic never occurred to me while reading this thread.

The seats are uncomfortable at Penn State and Indiana, Rutgers, North Carolina, and almost every other college venue I have attended.
I think college sports is trending towards more comfortable fan experiences, just like it happened in professional sports. I would rather be near the front of the trend.

Last edited:
I think college sports is trending towards more comfortable fan experiences

You mean, like sitting indoors? Syracuse was a trendsetter. Just add some AC.

One thing is clear, if individual seats in (parts of) the lower bowl don't happen this time then they likely never will.

I'm pretty sure that Baylor built a new stadium - it did not reduce capacity of an existing stadium.

There would only be a need if there were a groundswell of demand for expensive luxury boxes - and there is no such demand. Not even close.

So, from a math standpoint you don't reduce capacity. And, with a program that is now in a major conference with teams like Clemson and FSU coming to town you don't reduce capacity - you increase capacity.

And if your butt doesn't like the bench seats or the steel backing, I understand completely. The seats are uncomfortable at Penn State and Indiana, Rutgers, North Carolina, and almost every other college venue I have attended. If it is not comfortable, go watch the game at Tully's. They have really nice chairs and the lines for beer are really short.

And if you're suggesting that the BB capacity should be reduced to 18,000, then you really don't get what made the program a national program or how the size of the crowds gives Syracuse a trademark or what makes the 30,000 games so compelling.

Do you think that we'd completely ignore basketball when renovating the dome?

If we convert the lower level seating to actual stadium seating, and then add bench backs in the upper level, We probably wouldn't reduce football capacity to less than 44k.

This means for basketball the lower level would most likely be reduced by 4k, and a dome reno would most likely allow us to change the bowl configuration for basketball so we can fit in the same type of numbers.

I don't know why you're making a huge deal about this.

and a dome reno would most likely allow us to change the bowl configuration for basketball so we can fit in the same type of numbers.
Is there talk of actually making changes to the bowl?

We don't disagree as much as you think. I am actually ok with keeping capacity as is or slightly higher. I just commented on the seat value increase that was evident with the new baseball stadiums. Also, given our front running and finniky fan base minus the core 15-20k. And i do dig the bleacher seating bc i would rather stand most of the game. I have always defended the dome new or old, think it provides some of the best fb viewing sight lines in the nation. Lastly, was never impressed with Tully's tvs, lol. If i was a princess and needed padded individual seats I would be taking the games in on the hill at chucks or Faegans;)

If they do, they better replace them with something more efficient than what already exists! There's gotta be an engineer out there that will embrace the challenge...

The removed the troughs at Michigan Stadium and what was a pretty efficient process has turned into a national nightmare.

The removed the troughs at Michigan Stadium and what was a pretty efficient process has turned into a national nightmare.

Details?