Petrino really is a bad guy | Syracusefan.com

Petrino really is a bad guy

13mike13

Walk On
The Petrino shenanigans timeline

Loved the motorcycle photo, but didn't really know the whole story until reading this timeline. The guys seems like a genuinely bad guy. Between the Pitino stuff, the strip club/hoops recruiting stuff, the willingness to re-hire Petrino, etc, Louisville seems like a super-suspect place. I hope our kids perform well, honor our program, and maybe even bring home a win. Can't wait for tomorrow night...

The Petrino shenanigans timeline

Loved the motorcycle photo, but didn't really know the whole story until reading this timeline. The guys seems like a genuinely bad guy. Between the Pitino stuff, the strip club/hoops recruiting stuff, the willingness to re-hire Petrino, etc, Louisville seems like a super-suspect place. I hope our kids perform well, honor our program, and maybe even bring home a win. Can't wait for tomorrow night...

It missed a doozey on December 9th, 2007.

Arthur Blank was interviewed during the game (MNF Game). Here is an excerpt from an article about how he let a reputable NFL owner completely embarrass himself on National TV:

Blank said he was stunned when Petrino told him he was quitting. In an hourlong meeting Monday afternoon, Petrino had insisted to Blank that he was staying.

“At the end of that meeting I reminded Bobby that I had two commitments that night on national TV and the question might be posed by the media whether he would be interested in going back to the college ranks and I asked him what would you like my response to be,” Blank said while holding his index and middle finger closely together and pounding the podium. “His answer was he shook my hand and said, ‘You have a coach.’ ”

Blank then went on National TV and was asked point blank if Petrino was staying and Blank answered the question.

Another excerpt from Joey Harrington from that MNF game:

Quarterback Joey Harrington said: “He preached team and he preached family and then he quit on us. That’s not what a man does. He lied to us. After that Monday night game, he told us we all need to go home and take a look in the mirror and see what we can do to make this organization better.”

Having high moral standards and ethics is obviously not a qualification to becoming a head coach at a sport at L'ville.

If you had been at Louisville from 2003-2006 when we were averaging 45 points per game, 500 yards per game, winning 82% of our games, winning BCS games and also beating undefeated top 10 teams by crushing them with over 300 yards rushing, you would understand why we re-hired him.

He's done some crappy things, but the statements about him leaving the cupboard bare at Louisville and at Arkansas through poor recruiting is pure garbage. Kragthorpe had 8 future NFL draft picks on the 2007 team. The reason why Kragthorpe flopped is that (1) he was nowhere near as good of an offensive playcaller as Petrino and (2) he wasn't allowed to bring Todd Graham (then DC at Tulsa and now HC at Arizona State) with him when he moved.

Louisville and Arkansas struggled post-Petrino for one simple reason: they hired coaches who weren't anywhere near as good as Petrino. The rest of the stuff about poor recruiting is spin from two athletic departments attempting to pacify their fan bases.

Western Kentucky didn't struggle when Petrino left, and the reason why is because they were smart enough to hire another great coach - a Petrino protege and former star UofL quarterback, Jeff Brohm.

Last edited:
I used to take the Atlanta stuff at face value, but I recently read an account attributed to Mike Summers (former OL coach under Petrino at UofL and Atlanta) which basically says that the "outrage" in Atlanta over Petrino leaving Atlanta in the lurch was another snow job

Here is a link (on a University of Kentucky website of all places!) that hints at some of this:

Joe B. Hall Defends Bobby Petrino | | Nation of Blue

Petrino was unhappy that he went to Atlanta to coach Michael Vick only to be stuck with Joey Harrington when Vick's dog fighting scandal landed him in jail. He was also unhappy that the GM kept meddling in playing time decisions that Petrino believed he should have complete control over.

So after fighting that battle and losing, Petrino eventually went to Blank, told him it wasn't working out, and he wanted to go back to coach in college. Blank was okay with it - except that Blank needed a scapegoat to cover his butt after a year of unprecedented turmoil within the organization. Petrino basically told Blank that he could go ahead and throw him under the bus and run over him as many times as he needed to in order to pacify the fans - that he would be just as happy as a razorback in mud with that arrangement, just as long as he was allowed to go back and coach Arkansas in the SEC.

So that's basically what they did, and it worked out darned well for the Atlanta Falcons. It worked out well for Petrino as well for four years.

Last edited:
If you had been at Louisville from 2003-2006 when we were averaging 45 points per game, 500 yards per game, winning 82% of our games, winning BCS games and also beating undefeated top 10 teams by crushing them with over 300 yards rushing, you would understand why we re-hired him.

He's done some crappy things, but the statements about him leaving the cupboard bare at Louisville and at Arkansas through poor recruiting is pure garbage. Kragthorpe had 8 future NFL draft picks on the 2007 team. The reason why Kragthorpe flopped is that (1) he was nowhere near as good of an offensive playcaller as Petrino and (2) he wasn't allowed to bring Todd Graham (then DC at Tulsa and now HC at Arizona State) with him when he moved.

Louisville and Arkansas struggled post-Petrino for one simple reason: they hired coaches who weren't anywhere near as good as Petrino. The rest of the stuff about poor recruiting is spin from two athletic departments attempting to pacify their fan bases.

Western Kentucky didn't struggle when Petrino left, and the reason why is because they were smart enough to hire another great coach - a Petrino protege and former star UofL quarterback, Jeff Brohm.
You kinda ignore the premise of this thread and article, good coach or not; he's a sleazy dude in many more ways than one.

I used to take the Atlanta stuff at face value, but I recently read an account attributed to Mike Summers (former OL coach under Petrino at UofL and Atlanta) which basically says that the "outrage" in Atlanta over Petrino leaving Atlanta in the lurch was another snow job. Petrino was unhappy that he went to Atlanta to coach Michael Vick only to be stuck with Joey Harrington when Vick's dog fighting scandal landed him in jail.

So Petrino went to Blank, told him he wanted to go back to coach in college, and Blank was okay with it - except that Blank needed a scapegoat to cover his butt after a year of unprecedented turmoil within the organization. Petrino basically told Blank that he could go ahead and throw him under the bus and run over him as many times as he needed to in order to pacify the fans - that he would be just as happy as a razorback in mud with that arrangement, just as long as he was allowed to go back and coach Arkansas in the SEC.

So that's basically what they did, and it worked out darned well for the Atlanta Falcons. It worked out well for Petrino as well for four years.
Wow! Hook, line and sinker,
Is that you Baghdad Bob?

Wow! Hook, line and sinker,
Is that you Baghdad Bob?

Read the link that I added after I posted originally.

The stuff about the motorcycle and the affair are undeniable. The rest of it is so much myth, legend, half-truth and spin.

PushupMan said:
Read the link that I added after I posted originally. The stuff about the motorcycle and the affair are undeniable. The rest of it is so much myth, legend, half-truth and spin.

In which direction? You're inclined to believe the guy who has a history of questionable actions over everyone else.

You are very generous to the man. Real leaders take what they have and make something of it until they get what they need/want. Your next post is how Atlanta stuck him with Harrington and management interfered. So what? The guy is supposedly a professional, that is essentially what you are arguing. Guess what, he's a arrogant egotistical moron. I chose my words carefully.

Yes, Petrino knows how to call a game - as long as it's his players! If he cannot adjust his game to meet the abilities of the players in front of him, then he is no leader (re-read your post on Joey Harrington!). A real coach works with Harrington and makes adjustments to work him into the system. You can praise him for the wonderful players he brought in the first go round with Louisville, but there is no denying that the kids he brought in lacked character (which is important for long term image, donations, fan base!) and did not deserve to play at an institution like Louisville, WVU maybe, Miami under JJ, probably.

Regarding management intervention over playing time: GROW UP! In college, the AD has to worry about at least 16 teams, football makes up a percentage of the overall responsibility of the AD and the coach will have more freedom. The NFL is a completely different animal. The whole organization is about the 53 guys on the field, teams can have over 400 personnel (for the mathematically challenged that is roughly 87% support and management and 13% players!). Management will be into the daily business and the decisions of coaches. I am accountable to the owners of my company, I speak with them many times daily and I manage people, processes, customers, etc. they have a right to know what is happening and put in their two cents because I am managing their assets towards their specific goals. The NFL is a pure business, Petrino is NOT a leader in business.

Other factors in the NFL: Playing time: Owners need to manage how much abuse a player takes to keep them healthy throughout their contract. Owners need to get value for all the players on the team (i.e. keep them playing so they can step in when needed). Owners need to ensure that they are not burning out stars too quickly - recall that a good running back may last 7-10 years! The average NFL career is three years!

You have more so proved the point with two posts in this thread that Petrino really is not a good person. Louisville is likely to have academic and personnel issues within a couple seasons. I hope I eat crow on this because I have tracked Louisville for 25 years - I served with a gent, a die-hard Louisville fan so I began following Louisville hoops back then.

Most posters on this site do not hate the institution, just the coach's character. Separate your love for Louisville from your love of Petrino's on field success. Only then will you realize that this site respects his coaching ability but despises his character. Most Syracuse fans like Louisville fans because of great experiences, interaction with each other. Syracuse wanted Louisville in the Big East and in the ACC. There is a good relationship between the Universities.

The funny thing is that after the game wears off, win or lose, unless there is some major drama (injury, cheating, heartbreak plays), we will move onto the next team. We will focus on hyping ourselves up for the next game. This game will be in the past.

Enjoy the game, we will.

So, Michael Vick gets himself tossed in jail, and that frees up Petrino from his responsibility to the team?? Like Falcons management "stuck" him with Harrington on purpose. No one except Vick could prevent that situation. You deal with it, that is what pros do. Quitters quit. Petrino is a quitter. He is a sleazebag who is after the next "better" job the minute someone comes calling. Excellent football mind? Yep. Really bad guy who will put a knife in your back the minute you turn away? Yep.

I had a meeting yesterday at the Double Tree in Liverpool. When I walked in there were a ton of Louisville shirts, non of whom had the look of college football player, walking around so after the meeting I asked the concierge and he told me that Louisville charters a plane for the players, head coach, coordinators and position coaches. The remainder of the support staff takes a bus (14 hour ride) the night before the team fly's out. In this case they got in at 6 am yesterday morning, got a few hours of sleep, had breakfast and then had to go to the dome to get set up for a walk through and the game. He said Louisville was the only one to do this everyone else flew on their team charter. I'm not sure if that is Petrino or the school but seems kinda wrong. FWIW he also said that the double tree has at least 4 of the 6 away teams staying there.

I think most fans want to win games and are looking to overlook some transgressions, say a DUI or some of the dust ups that say the WVU coach got himself into, etc. I think Petrino is too much to take though, he crosses the line and is just too big of a scum bag for me to stomach as the head coach of any team I would root for. 1 incident is one thing the combo of the 50 is just too much. He's just a scum bag and I wouldn't support anything he was a part of.

I think most fans want to win games and are looking to overlook some transgressions, say a DUI or some of the dust ups that say the WVU coach got himself into, etc. I think Petrino is too much to take though, he crosses the line and is just too big of a scum bag for me to stomach as the head coach of any team I would root for. 1 incident is one thing the combo of the 50 is just too much. He's just a scum bag and I wouldn't support anything he was a part of.

"Scum bag" is an apt way to put it. And I agree with the rest of your assessment--people make mistakes or bad choices all the time. But people don't have to be defined by those mistakes, especially when said mistake is kind of a one-off.

But some people are just irredeemable / unlikeable. Petrino is one of them, no matter how good of a coach he is. Everything the guy does just digs himself a deeper hole.

Notice how we didn't have this "problem" when Strong was the coach?

Last edited:
I have a PSU alum neighbor that honestly thinks that all the kids are lying and that Paterno was a victim and hero in the situation.

It's horrifying that people like that exist. It's more horrifying to know that PSU has tens of thousands of likeminded people.
Try living in the heart of the Penn Stat cult, it's sickening.

wrt to Petrino at Atlanta, the most forgiving interpretation is that the guy can't stand any sort of adversity... And looks to bolt the first second he gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom