Class of 2023 - PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it worked out. Only in contact with him for a few weeks and we got an official.
Well, the idea is to get the commit. And this one is real important because this kid is that good. Once again, we are at the disadvantage of having our ass't recruit against a Head Coach. Now, we are Syracuse and they are P.C.. Let's hope it doesn't come down to which Head coach pursued him harder.

Well, the idea is to get the commit. And this one is real important because this kid is that good. Once again, we are at the disadvantage of having our ass't recruit against a Head Coach. Now, we are Syracuse and they are P.C.. Let's hope it doesn't come down to which Head coach pursued him harder.

Step one is a visit. A lot of coaches, head and assts, went to see him. Most aren’t getting a visit.

Step one is a visit. A lot of coaches, head and assts, went to see him. Most aren’t getting a visit.
Not all of the head coaches and assistants are going just to see him, there are other high major kids on the same team.

Kids know which schools are prioritizing them. When the head coach flies across the country a few days before a visit, that shows how much of a priority you are.

why can’t JB just get on a damn plane and go see the kid play? Do your job!

We need to land him though, not just get a visit (though that is a key development). USC and others will obviously be legit competition.

Unless, I read that tweet wrong.

Perhaps I am reading that tweet incorrectly. it shows there were 13 schools that had head coaches visit and 45 that had assistants. We are getting one of those precious campus visits, which means things have worked out according to plan so far and Gerry did his job well. Everyone can critique coach on a bunch of things but I don't think this is one of them. Landing him will be tough, but Jimmy and the entire staff will have the chance to make the full pitch on campus (something only 6 or so schools will have).

Cuse!

Perhaps I am reading that tweet incorrectly. it shows there were 13 schools that had head coaches visit and 45 that had assistants. We are getting one of those precious campus visits, which means things have worked out according to plan so far and Gerry did his job well. Everyone can critique coach on a bunch of things but I don't think this is one of them. Landing him will be tough, but Jimmy and the entire staff will have the chance to make the full pitch on campus (something only 6 or so schools will have).

Cuse!
Everything you said is true. Plus whether Cooley went there or not Syracuse is a far better option than Providence for a number of reasons.

But it might have put us in a better place if JB got on a plane and really made the kid feel prioritized. This kid could change the complexion of the entire class.

Cuse!
Unless, JB's back is hurting again, that weekend. Shocker that a 78 year old would have back pains, but whatever.

Cuse!
Not all of those coaches listed went to see Drew specifically. There are many high major recruits on his team.

Landing a visit is a step in the right direction but the idea is to land a commitment by doing the other things like traveling outside of the live period.

It is amazing to see people twist themselves in to knots to defend a guy not
working as hard as other guys with the same job title. I understand JB not
wanting to get on a plane and fly out to see this kid. But 40 year old JB did
exactly that. Might we still get him? Of course. But don't think for a second that
this work ethic hasn't cost us some recruits (who we got visits from). It has.

exactly that. Might we still get him? Of course. But don't think for a second that
I wish I could just go through the motions and collect nearly $3 million dollars.

I don’t see anyone twisting themselves into knots defending anything. For me I just don’t see it as a huge deal. The visit will be a bigger deal. If he felt slighted by JB he probably doesn’t even make a visit. But as another opinion, as good as this kid looks and would possibly be very good for SU, I’d rather have Patterson if given the choice between the two. Not because I think Patterson will be the better player but because Patterson to me looks like he’d be a beast as an inside defender. I love those kind of players and they’re hard to find. Nirvana would be getting both.

If we’re being fair, both sides of the story are getting tired. At some point one has to accept the situation for what it is, buckle up and hope for the best. There’s not always one path to the desired outcome - even if seemingly everyone else is on that path, and it’s a totally reasonable path that seems to work well for the vast majority. If one views JB’s, and/or the staff’s, work ethic as a failure, let’s just hope we fail up and get Fielder.

Last edited:
If we’re being fair, both sides of the story are getting tired. At some point you have to accept the situation for what it is, buckle up and hope for the best. There’s not always one path to the desired outcome - even if seemingly everyone else is on that path, and it’s a totally reasonable path that seems to work well for the vast majority. If you view JB’s, and/or the staff’s, work ethic as a failure, just hope we fail up and get Fielder.
Thanks for the input but this is a message board. And it is fair to point out that our 78 year old coach doesn't get out like the other people in his line of work. If you don't like these posts, fair enough. Don't read them or don't respond to them. But don't tell us what to write about these issues. These are the reasons why we are coming up short in our recruiting battles and the reason while we haven't been our old self the last several years on the floor.

I don’t see anyone twisting themselves into knots defending anything. For me I just don’t see it as a huge deal. The visit will be a bigger deal. If he felt slighted by JB he probably doesn’t even make a visit. But as another opinion, as good as this kid looks and would possibly be very good for SU, I’d rather have Patterson if given the choice between the two. Not because I think Patterson will be the better player but because Patterson to me looks like he’d be a beast as an inside defender. I love those kind of players and they’re hard to find. Nirvana would be getting both.
I would guess having Patterson or someone else who is clearly a center makes getting Fielder more likely... A player with Fielder's skills doesn't want to get locked in as a center just because he's the tallest player on the team.

It isn't a coincidence that our recruiting has fallen off in recent years. We have been getting visits. That hasn't been the problem. Let me give you an example. Fielder was having doubts about the P.C. trip. Cooley went out to see him. He is going to visit P.C.. Not that's P.C.. They don't have what we have. But coaches wouldn't be going if it didn't make any difference. I heard Jim L went out to see him and Fielder is already going to Miami. Patterson would be fine but I really want Fielder.

Last edited:
Say you lose Fielder because we don't make the effort.

Then this year Mintz has a good year and we lose him to the league. Joe also moves on. Copeland,(Symir?), Taylor, Bunch, (Benny?), Carey, Brown, Hima, ( Patterson?). You've got a bunch of athletes who can do some things plus developmental guys in year two. Scorers and gamebreakers?

This is where a player like Fielder, as we wanted in Estrella matters. Different kind of player, 3 level scorer and a guy we need given what things look like.

The tired excuses of oh hey we will get this transfer or this guy will be a stud by this year are getting old. It's a new world. You need to get guys you put on the floor who move the needle. Patterson doesn't solve the issue of needing the kind of threat Fielder brings.

It isn't a coincidence that our recruiting has fallen off in recent years. We have been getting visits. That hasn't been the problem. Let me give you an example. Fielder was having doubts about the P.C. trip. Cooley went out to see him. He is going to P.C.. Not that's P.C.. They don't have what we have. But coaches wouldn't be going if it didn't make any difference. I heard Jim L went out to see him and Fielder is already going to Miami. Patterson would be fine but I really want Fielder.
These young players want to feel wanted. Having a potential future coach put forth the time and effort to see them play matters. I don't think it can be argued that JB not visiting players COULD (and likely does) hurt SU's chance of landing recruits. However, I'm 100% certain making the trip to visit the recruit definitely doesn't hurt the chances. While an official visit to campus is likely the most important factor, why can't both be done?

I flew to LA last week for 3 days to watch a football game. He should probably be able to do so as a key part of his job.

These young players want to feel wanted. Having a potential future coach put forth the time and effort to see them play matters. I don't think it can be argued that JB not visiting players COULD (and likely does) hurt SU's chance of landing recruits. However, I'm 100% certain making the trip to visit the recruit definitely doesn't hurt the chances. While an official visit to campus is likely the most important factor, why can't both be done?
No ass't can talk meaningfully about playing time. There were a couple of good guards here in the east that we didn't get visits from. But some of the other eastern schools did. Schools like Seton Hall. Why?

I flew to LA last week for 3 days to watch a football game. He should probably be able to do so as a key part of his job.

I hate flying. Way too many 6 hour flights in coach from Dulles to Cali for work. When I had the miles to upgrade it was no big deal. It's not that hard when you have the comforts of a private charter or first class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom