Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well?

Kid is from Rochester. I would hope that we still have a chance with him.

Not right now he's not. Let's just say I'm expecting the worst and if he comes here I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Damn, he has shed that weight and looks diesel/ripped now. Oh well.

I'd be shocked if we landed Stewart or Igiehon at this point. Unfortunately, Ajak or Majak seem more likely. Reminds me of what happened when Thomas Bryant left CNY... oh well we can hope.

I have to think Carey and Bazely count for something here. If Brissett and Sidibe can really show out and we over achieve this year, it could really help to right the ship and make us even more attractive. We are an unexpected great junior campaign from Frank Howard from having a really nice team this year that wipes away last year's frustration.

It's not too often that the broad upstate area generates elite/5* type guys, unfortunately, history tells us that once the Big Boys come calling, we typically lose out on these guys who are seemingly right in our own back yard. :(

It's not too often that the broad upstate area generates elite/5* type guys, unfortunately, history tells us that once the Big Boys come calling, we typically lose out on these guys who are seemingly right in our own back yard. :(
We are a big boy. This isn't football. Indiana didn't get Bryant because they were bigger than us.

Duke just landed Joey Baker, though he's more of a 3 than a pure 4 like Stewart. They'll probably be in the mix for other top power forwards in 2019 like Matthew Hurt and James Wiseman.

The way I see it, Duke could just as easily land Isaiah Stewart as they could take themselves out of the running by landing a different PF. If he's their priority #1, I'd say we are better off moving on. But if he's not, it really just depends on how and when the dominoes start to fall.

Duke just landed Joey Baker, though he's more of a 3 than a pure 4 like Stewart. They'll probably be in the mix for other top power forwards in 2019 like Matthew Hurt and James Wiseman.

The way I see it, Duke could just as easily land Isaiah Stewart as they could take themselves out of the running by landing a different PF. If he's their priority #1, I'd say we are better off moving on. But if he's not, it really just depends on how and when the dominoes start to fall.
Not only could (greedy) Duke alienate him by pulling in other bigs, you never know if this recruit even drinks the Dook coolaid in the first place. Or he may like Dook but not want to play so far from home after prepping away for a year. We have a lot to offer, especially with the recruiting nucleus we have already. I'd hope the staff hangs in there.

Last edited:
We are a big boy. This isn't football. Indiana didn't get Bryant because they were bigger than us.

We'd like to think so, but Bryant, regardless of the circumstances, is just one of many we ultimately didn't land. It stems back years; Sam Perkins, King Rice, Greg Koubek, Christian Laettner, Greg Woodard, Cliff Robinson, Curtis Aiken, etc., etc. How often do see a top player in Kansas' backyard not going to KU, or an elite in the Carolinas not going to UNC or Duke? SU has a great program and tradition, but it, imo, is not 'elite,' 'Blue Blood,' 'Big Boy.' I recall last year when we lost Quade to UK (albeit Philly is not in the broad upstate region referenced) national writer(s) mentioned how SU lost to a 'Big Boy.'

We'd like to think so, but Bryant, regardless of the circumstances, is just one of many we ultimately didn't land. It stems back years; Sam Perkins, King Rice, Greg Koubek, Christian Laettner, Greg Woodard, Cliff Robinson, Curtis Aiken, etc., etc. How often do see a top player in Kansas' backyard not going to KU, or an elite in the Carolinas not going to UNC or Duke? SU has a great program and tradition, but it, imo, is not 'elite,' 'Blue Blood,' 'Big Boy.' I recall last year when we lost Quade to UK (albeit Philly is not in the broad upstate region referenced) national writer(s) mentioned how SU lost to a 'Big Boy.'
We get the vast majority of blue chip prospects in our area. Some of those guys you mentioned, we didn't recruit because we liked other guys more. And you also span a number of years. We were not who we are now when Sam Perkins came along. We weren't a national player. And the nonsense that you talk about at the end was written by Adam Z. He is hardly a national writer. He is a eastern guy (loves Kentucky) that has a blog. We also don't follow Kansas and North Carolina like we follow Syracuse. Ask their fans. They lose local guys too. Does every Ct kid go to UConn? Ohio St just lost the best player in their state to Syracuse. Did we big boy them? Duany was a top 100 recruit that we took from Indiana. Steve Thompson was really highly ranked and we took him from L.A. along with Earl Duncan. Did we big boy UCLA? Kids go away to school. It happens to everyone. Win some, lose some.

We have a much higher profile looking in than we do looking out. People on the outside, non fans of ours, think more of us than we do of ourselves. I don't mean internet nitwits. Rank and file fans. My Dr. played at Kansas. He was a double figure scorer all three years for the cats. He puts us right there.

We get the vast majority of blue chip prospects in our area. Some of those guys you mentioned, we didn't recruit because we liked other guys more. And you also span a number of years. We were not who we are now when Sam Perkins came along. We weren't a national player. And the nonsense that you talk about at the end was written by Adam Z. He is hardly a national writer. He is a eastern guy (loves Kentucky) that has a blog. We also don't follow Kansas and North Carolina like we follow Syracuse. Ask their fans. They lose local guys too. Does every Ct kid go to UConn? Ohio St just lost the best player in their state to Syracuse. Did we big boy them? Duany was a top 100 recruit that we took from Indiana. Steve Thompson was really highly ranked and we took him from L.A. along with Earl Duncan. Did we big boy UCLA? Kids go away to school. It happens to everyone. Win some, lose some.

Fair enough. Though I still opine that we don't fall in that Elite/Blue Blood class. I'll remember not to use Big Boy as it seems to touch some sensitive nerves. :)

Fair enough. Though I still opine that we don't fall in that Elite/Blue Blood class. I'll remember not to use Big Boy as it seems to touch some sensitive nerves. :)
Blue blood is different than elite. The Blue Bloods are UNC, UK, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, and Kansas. Indiana has fallen off. Louisville, Arizona and Michigan State aren’t blue bloods either. But, like us, they’re elite programs. UConn would be there too if they didn’t end up stuck in the American. ... Big Boy’s is an old restaurant chain.

Vernon Carey is the guy we want Duke to get, if we have a shot at Stewart.
Kentucky would have to take James Wiseman over Carey. Wiseman doesn't list Duke.
North Carolina lists them both, but not Stewart.

Blue blood is different than elite. The Blue Bloods are UNC, UK, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, and Kansas. Indiana has fallen off. Louisville, Arizona and Michigan State aren’t blue bloods either. But, like us, they’re elite programs. UConn would be there too if they didn’t end up stuck in the American. ... Big Boy’s is an old restaurant chain.
UCLA and Indiana aren't blue bloods anymore.

I think it's Duke, UNC, KU and UK then everyone else. We are #5 in total wins for what that is worth.

Funny... We have a local kid and people are throwing in Towel already cause Kansas offered? Last I checked we are 3-2 against Jayhawks including a National Title over there heads. We have won 2 straight and if we beat them this year then maybe we real Stewart in.

Status
Not open for further replies.