Class of 2023 - PF Papa Kante (NY) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Papa Kante (NY) Offered

I like it. Limited options and we need bodies...mine as well stack talent and get ready for war in another year or 2. Obviously I'd love to have experience and Reds first year be great but if you were to tell me last year that we would land Westry/JJ/Papa I'd pass out. Keep building the foundation.

I do not believe this is great roster allocation but I wouldn’t be 100% mad if we got Kante & MacLeod and have them all of the minutes.

5 centers for 13 scholarships is ridiculous but if you fill the roster with 4 guards and 4 forwards, and Carey may or may not have positional flexibility, then for this one year it is OK.

Still have no idea why we took Hima. Carey & Patterson as projects, fine but hopefully in the future we have just one of those.

We‘re showing interest, but it says nothing that he has interest in us!
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

It's Friday but soon its gonna be Monday again!!
I heard from a source from his high school that Michigan wrapped him up months ago and the chase by any other school is futile.

I heard from a source from his high school that Michigan wrapped him up months ago and the chase by any other school is futile.

He was denied admission to Michigan, by not scoring high enough on an English as a second language entrance exam -- that's why he's re-opened his recruitment. Right?

I do not believe this is great roster allocation but I wouldn’t be 100% mad if we got Kante & MacLeod and have them all of the minutes.

5 centers for 13 scholarships is ridiculous but if you fill the roster with 4 guards and 4 forwards, and Carey may or may not have positional flexibility, then for this one year it is OK.

Still have no idea why we took Hima. Carey & Patterson as projects, fine but hopefully in the future we have just one of those.
Carey is a 4 and looks to be very athletic, Hima played well last year and if he improves is an solid back up Patterson looks to be a better player than Jesse at the same age.

Those things work themselves out, at least they used to

Well academic standards not so much. Also I doubt this was quick - it's likely the result after multiple efforts to handle.

Carey is a 4 and looks to be very athletic, Hima played well last year and if he improves is an solid back up Patterson looks to be a better player than Jesse at the same age.
He did? He played emergency minutes and was not a contributing factor or difference maker in any way.

Solid backups are Jeremy McNeil. Solid backups are not Mounir Hima. Sorry.

He did play well at times early on like vs St Johns notably. He seemed to regress quite a bit as the season went on.
So did the whole team? Maybe there was stuff going on behind the scenes? We were looking okay until Feb and then the bottom fell out in the dark days of winter.

I disagree. Watch some of the games Jesse got in foul trouble. Hima held his own.

Tend to agree here. Early in the season, Hima showed that he was a good shotblocker, he had mobility, and he was an aggressive rebounder.

As the season went on, and Jesse emerged as a top flight scorer [which we generally don't have / feature in our system], then he got a disproportionally high volume of PT [>32mpg] compared to how our centers usually play. Some of that came at Hima's expense -- justifiably so, given the year Edwards had.

But I think Hima is better than the stiff he's being portrayed to be. His play early last year suggests that he could be decent, if asked to play the appropriate role.

Tend to agree here. Early in the season, Hima showed that he was a good shotblocker, he had mobility, and he was an aggressive rebounder.

As the season went on, and Jesse emerged as a top flight scorer [which we generally don't have / feature in our system], then he got a disproportionally high volume of PT [>32mpg] compared to how our centers usually play. Some of that came at Hima's expense -- justifiably so, given the year Edwards had.

But I think Hima is better than the stiff he's being portrayed to be. His play early last year suggests that he could be decent, if asked to play the appropriate role.
I like his physical play. If he has increased his strength he will be fine. Jesse never held his own against physical players.

I like his physical play. If he has increased his strength he will be fine. Jesse never held his own against physical players.
Please define “fine”… because I have a different definition I think.

Looking at the roster, we do not have a starting center. So if you’re defining “fine” to be a starting center, I completely disagree.

If we add a starting center who can play 25-30 minutes a game, I guess he can be “fine”.

I still think we should hope for better. Hima cannot do anything offensively and shows very little upside there. Are those the types of players we want in our program? I would rather force feed Carey minutes or see what Patterson has in the non-conference. I just don’t see it.

I disagree. Watch some of the games Jesse got in foul trouble. Hima held his own.
I am going to take out the non-conference stats because a lot of that is meaningless, IMO.

16 games against ACC teams
7.1 minutes per game
0.6 points
1.4 rebounds
0.7 blocks
3-10 from the field. 30%.

Per 40 minutes - 3.4 points, 7.9 rebounds, 3.9 blocks per game

Just for comparison's sake, here are Jesse's freshman year numbers (a full year before Hima's collegiate career arc):

13 games against ACC teams
6.5 minutes per game
2.3 points
1.8 rebounds
0.5 blocks
10-13 from the field. 77%

Per 40 minutes - 14.2 points, 11.1 rebounds, 3.1 blocks per game

And for kicks, here is Bourama's sophomore season numbers - where he was very well diminished from the knee injury

14 games against ACC teams
9.0 minutes per game
1.2 points
2.1 rebounds
0.4 blocks
4-10 from the field. 40%

Per 40 minutes - 5.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.9 blocks per game

So per 40 minutes, Hima as a sophomore is worse offensively, rebounding, and better defensively than Sidibe at 50%, and much worse than Edwards' freshman year in every category but blocks.

He's not very good, even for a backup at this level.

I am going to take out the non-conference stats because a lot of that is meaningless, IMO.

16 games against ACC teams
7.1 minutes per game
0.6 points
1.4 rebounds
0.7 blocks
3-10 from the field. 30%.

Per 40 minutes - 3.4 points, 7.9 rebounds, 3.9 blocks per game

Just for comparison's sake, here are Jesse's freshman year numbers (a full year before Hima's collegiate career arc):

13 games against ACC teams
6.5 minutes per game
2.3 points
1.8 rebounds
0.5 blocks
10-13 from the field. 77%

Per 40 minutes - 14.2 points, 11.1 rebounds, 3.1 blocks per game

And for kicks, here is Bourama's sophomore season numbers - where he was very well diminished from the knee injury

14 games against ACC teams
9.0 minutes per game
1.2 points
2.1 rebounds
0.4 blocks
4-10 from the field. 40%

Per 40 minutes - 5.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.9 blocks per game

So per 40 minutes, Hima as a sophomore is worse offensively, rebounding, and better defensively than Sidibe at 50%, and much worse than Edwards' freshman year in every category but blocks.

He's not very good, even for a backup at this level.
I appreciate the analysis and the work you put in. But I think it is unfair to take out the nonconference games because that is when he actually got the chance to play. Jesse picked it up during ACC play and JB never took him out for the most part. To argue Hima didn’t perform in the nonconference schedule or that somehow that performance doesn’t matter is flawed analysis. I’m not saying the guy is a stud but I’m think he has a chance to be a useful piece because for the first half of this past season, he definitely was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom