Class of 2017 - PG Aaron Thompson (VA) to Butler | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Aaron Thompson (VA) to Butler

Does he fit what we like to do?

This plays a big part in who they go after. They aren't going to just offer every kid that plays a position of need and has stars by his name. Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh or anything, that's not my tone. But it seems like people (not saying just you) are demanding we offer every kid that becomes available.

Does he fit what we like to do?

This plays a big part in who they go after. They aren't going to just offer every kid that plays a position of need and has stars by his name. Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh or anything, that's not my tone. But it seems like people (not saying just you) are demanding we offer every kid that becomes available.

Heres a write up, hes 6'3 so good size. From Howards hs too and thats right in Reds wheelhouse...

A tough-nosed guard who is best in setting the floor for his team in the half-court setting and making others betters on the drive to the basket, Thompson plays with a maturity about him that is hard to find in a high school junior. He isn’t known for his shot making skills but more-so for his facilitating abilities and deceptive burst as he gets to the basket on the downhill drive with ease. Defensively, the sturdy point man has become lauded for his on-ball skills as he can guard both spots in the backcourt and take his opponent out of his comfort zone because of his lateral abilities and developing physique that he uses well in keeping his counterpart in front of him.

Heres a write up, hes 6'3 so good size. From Howards hs too and thats right in Reds wheelhouse...

A tough-nosed guard who is best in setting the floor for his team in the half-court setting and making others betters on the drive to the basket, Thompson plays with a maturity about him that is hard to find in a high school junior. He isn’t known for his shot making skills but more-so for his facilitating abilities and deceptive burst as he gets to the basket on the downhill drive with ease. Defensively, the sturdy point man has become lauded for his on-ball skills as he can guard both spots in the backcourt and take his opponent out of his comfort zone because of his lateral abilities and developing physique that he uses well in keeping his counterpart in front of him.

Ye, I'm sure Red knows him because he's been recruiting Brandon Slater but I doubt he we get involved. We weren't recruiting him the first go-around when I'm sure Red saw him play a lot.

His original offers were from:

Miami, Pitt, SMU, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Penn State, Rice, and Richmond.

He signed his LOI, so would he even be an option for another ACC school?

Could Howard shoot in high school? How did he get so many high offers? He wasn't a high-flyer either.

Could Howard shoot in high school? How did he get so many high offers? He wasn't a high-flyer either.

He was a pretty good, but not great shooter in high school. He played at Paul VI in VA, about 7 miles from where I live. Contrary to what you've said many times, Howard DID play a lot of point guard in high school, and looked pretty good doing it. The kid is actually pretty skilled, just don't think the system is right for him.

He was a pretty good, but not great shooter in high school. He played at Paul VI in VA, about 7 miles from where I live. Contrary to what you've said many times, Howard DID play a lot of point guard in high school, and looked pretty good doing it. The kid is actually pretty skilled, just don't think the system is right for him.

OK. I was just piggy-backing off of a few posters closer to the situation who were claiming he was a convert to PG, basically having no experience there. Oops.

OK. I was just piggy-backing off of a few posters closer to the situation who were claiming he was a convert to PG, basically having no experience there. Oops.

He played some point but, Mason, A LOT? I know he's from your neck of the woods but he was a combo and more of a two-guard. He then tore his knee of course and worked more on his point guard skills. I want to add that Francis has repeatedly said we were the only team who recruited him as a point guard, which would've been very odd if that was his natural position.

I talked with him at the Mary Kline Classic in May of '15 before he came to Syracuse and I asked him how his knee was and how things were going for him, learning the point. He was a very nice kid, by the way, and his parents were great too, making his sour attitude at SU even more perplexing and disappointing. Hope he turns that around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom